PDA

View Full Version : An-2 at Sherburn today

knobbygb
20th Sep 2002, 19:41
What a beautiful aircraft! (in an ugly sort of way).

D-FKMA of Aero Troika was, I believe, transporting the judges to an Aerobatic competition.

What's the story with this a/c? Where's it based? Is it available to rent for charter or training? Has anybody flown one? What are they like? What are the stall speeds etc. - it seemed to lift off at about 35 knots, but because of the size it was hard to tell really.

Never seen one 'in the flesh' before. You get no idea of the scale from photos. This must have been the only time I've been near an airfield without a camera in years! Typical.:mad:

By the way, the aero competition continues at EGCJ tomorrow if anyone's interested. There were about 25 assorted Pitts, Slingsbys, Yaks, CAP 10's etc. there today with more expected tomorrow.

sunnysideup
21st Sep 2002, 13:43
"Little Annie" was the team bus for an enthusiastic group of competitiors from Wellesbourne (where its based) to Sherburn yesterday. The trip there and back was great fun for all, even if we ended up propping up the bottom of the results table at the aerobatics comp (no, not in the An2!)

The take off may have seemed a little strange and slow, thats because I let a mate of mine have his first go at taking off. Neither of us realised until about 300' that he'd done the whole thing with only half power set!!!!!!!!!!!

Normally, she's airbourne in about 150m and climbs out at about 1500 fpm.

I try and do as much with it with people with an interest as the CAA, ANO and German authorities allow.

If pprune don't see this as advertising (believe me, I don't make a profit!!!) then email me from here and I'll let you know more.

In fact, current plans are to arrive at the pprune fly in on 5th Oct at Sywell in it (as well as transport to the great pprune drinking session in London).

I'll try and do a better job of a flyby there!!!!

knobbygb
21st Sep 2002, 17:07
Thanks. You did seem a little low over the villages after departing - the lack of power set explains it. After hearing the roar of the engine during the power checks a few people were anticipating the complaints we'd get from the locals. They're not very understanding about Pa28's - never mind that beast. I guess self-enforced noise-abatement was probably a good thing;)

Talk of training/charter etc. was just a bit of wishful thinking unfortunatley - I must get a license first! (Was hoping to have it done in time for Sywell but thats not really an option now).

I was away on a navex so didn't really get chance to look at 'Annie' properly - I was just departing as you joined overhead and just shutting down when you were preparing to depart. Maybe next time...

formationfoto
21st Sep 2002, 18:20
Don't know about this particular AN2 but was recently speaking to the owner of an AN2 on the russian register. He tells me that he is finding it difficult to keep it flying and that there are increasing restrictions being placed on the operation of the machine. Such a shame as it is quite a spectacle. An aircraft which has the performance of a cub but can carry a football team. One of the rumours I heard was that it may be rectricted to crew only - bit like the ex military gazelles which aren't allowed pax so those sitting in the back need to be trained in 'essential ground handling'.

LowNSlow
22nd Sep 2002, 03:58
ff after pushing the AN-2 that used to be based in Swanton Morley I'm sure that you could justify the 12 people in the back as "essential ground handling staff" those things are HEAVY :D :D

sunnysideup
22nd Sep 2002, 09:16
It is a shame about the latest mindless restrictions placed on An2's. Most in the UK are Russian or Lithuainian registered and fell to the same fate as the Yaks and Sukois earlier this year.

Whilst smaller aircraft can cope on the the new British permits and all the restrictions that it implies, I have also heard that the An2's are restricted to crew only, no mention of ground handling teams as with the ex Mil Gazelles. You gotta ask, whats the point?????

D-FKMA is one of the lucky ones. It holds a full public cat German CofA, one of only eight left and the only one in the UK, I believe. This means I didn't have to worry too much about the changes earlier this year, although under German restrictions its only allowed nine seats. Of course, in the UK, its a bit more complicated to legally fill all of those seats. But not impossible................

As a single engine piston aircraft, it can be flown on a JAR-PPL, which I think is great news for those who like to get out of Cessnas and Terrorhawks and fly Chippies and jets and moths and stearmans and all the other stuff that is a "must-do" in any pilots lifetime.

Personally, sometimes I still can't believe how lucky I am to fly the thing around the UK where it always gets a warm and friendly reception, lots of photos and a few dropping jaws.

Long may it continue........

DB6
22nd Sep 2002, 12:55
Nice formation with the Robin as well. Long may it continue.