PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Gap Year??

Trislander
20th Sep 2002, 15:26
Hi,

I have decided to take a gap year this year instead of heading straight off to Uni. I am interested in doing lots of varied and interesting flying over the next year, and something that would benefit my future ambition of becoming a commercial pilot. I have a PPL with 55hrs TT. Cost sharing with another pilot is something I have thought about, as well as going stateside.

Any suggestions??
Thanks & Regards, Trislander

A and C
20th Sep 2002, 16:21
check your email mate !

Check you Pms mate..!! :)

Ian_Wannabe
21st Sep 2002, 14:57
Hey sorry to be a pain here but is there any chance that you could post your answer as a reply so I and others can see your suggestions?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing next year so this thread could put some useful ideads in my head!

Cheers

Ian

A and C
23rd Sep 2002, 00:02
The rules of pprune dont permit me to advertise on the forum and my operation is too small to handle all the business that a banner advert would create so if I think that I can help someone I email them and just flag it up on the forum.

It is a fine line that I have to have to tread between my desire to offer advice and help to young hopefulls and pushing my business interests as the two are hard to keep apart , the moderator of this forum knows the service that I offer but it would seem that publishing my business email adress is also considered to be outside the rules so I will respect his judgment and refraine from this practice.

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Sep 2002, 16:46
Ok, no problem at all!

Rusty Cessna
23rd Sep 2002, 17:29
A and C,

Would you mind sending me an e-mail, as I'm in the same situation and am very keen not waste my year, I'd be very interested to learn about any advice you may have.

Many thanks,
Rusty.

Tiger_ Moth
23rd Sep 2002, 17:54
Umm..Can I have one too? I'm in a similar-ish position to trislander although I don't have my license. I'm not quite sure what you're talking about but it sounds like it might be something to do with spending a gap year in aviation so thanks in advance.

Trislander
24th Sep 2002, 11:56
A and C,

Thanks for the offer. I'll be in contact.

Rusty,

What are your plans for your gap year (are you planning to go to uni next year)? Where are you flying at the moment?

Thanks for your help, anyone else got any more ideas???

Thanks, Tri.

BRL
24th Sep 2002, 12:20
Before you all start going mad at me for being a crap moderator banning e-mail links, here is what A&C has to offer. He has a plane leasing company and because of this he offers unbelievable rates for private pilots who are looking for hours building. The whole thing is based around the belief that flying in this country is expensive because of the flying that we "don't do" and that if aircraft utilisation is kept high the costs can be kept low. Also, as its based at a military airfield, there are no landing fees. All in all, a great deal he can do if you want to do some serious hour-building. Now, can i take my tin-hat off please.... :D

A and C
26th Sep 2002, 08:48
"L" I could not have put it better myself , but I also would not have presumed to be so bold !.

we cant escape the fact that over the last two or three years PPrune has got so big that the banner adverts are now out of the price range and will create to much business for the small opperator like myself , I dont want a free ride on PPrune but need a place to advertise that will match my business requirments.

Sorry guys for going way off topic but I have emailed all of you who have asked for advice ( with my phone number )and will give it freely and without pushing my business , but if you are hours building the price on the aircraft will be hard to resist.

Glynis
26th Sep 2002, 19:20
Anyone thought of doing flying training and/or hour-building in SA?

Have at look at www.algoafc.co.za for some ideas.

Is this legal, Mr Moderator? - sorry if not

BRL
26th Sep 2002, 21:14
Glynis, Its ok as long as its not your business........