PDA

View Full Version : How do I get permission to land on a beach?

QDMQDMQDM
19th Sep 2002, 19:19
Saunton beach in North Devon is just gorgeously suitable for landing in the intertidal zone. I've heard that the intertidal zone is crown property and getting permission to land isn't too much of a problem. But who do I actually have to ask and what's the procedure? Anyone have any idea?

QDM

SlipSlider
19th Sep 2002, 20:04
QDM3, have a word with Pete (Ivor) W; the Aeronca Club had planned a Cornwall beach landing back in May, which was unfortunately weathered out. It should be possible to arrange, but I bet it won't be easy! Hope you are successful.
Slip

QDMQDMQDM
19th Sep 2002, 20:55
Thanks. Good idea. I'd heard they planned it -- was it to Hayle beach? I'll email him.

QDM

Sensible
19th Sep 2002, 21:18
And if you had a heavy landing (heaven forbid) or the airplane went tech. then I suppose you would need to fit floats before high tide :D

QDMQDMQDM
19th Sep 2002, 21:21
And if you had a heavy landing (heaven forbid) or the airplane went tech. then I suppose you would need to fit floats before high tide

Saunton beach is 1/2 mile from Chivenor so maybe one of their friendly yellow Sea Kings would pull us out of trouble? ;-)

QDM

Genghis the Engineer
20th Sep 2002, 08:44
I've flown off a beach a few times, I confess I didn't ask anybody for permission, but I did pick a smelly and deserted beach in the middle of nowhere.

Two things I would mention. One is that it's the best opportunity you'll ever get to judge how good your own landing was - as you taxi back you can see how hard, how straight, etc. Second is that my experience is that wet sand with small ripples tends often to reduce apparent ground effect, so be prepared for an exaggerated flare to avoid a hard landing.

Great fun.

G

FlyingForFun
20th Sep 2002, 08:57
Landing on a beach.... cooooolllll :cool:

Question for those who have done it - what was it like? Genghis has already mentioned a couple of points. I'd imagine that judging your height in the flare would be pretty tough, too, especially if the sand is smooth. Anything else that's good/bad/fun/etc???

QDM (or anyone else), if you're looking for pax, let me know ;) :D

FFF
---------------

SlipSlider
20th Sep 2002, 09:21
QDM3, yes it was Hayle as I recall, although there were a couple of other options at first. As it was intended to be a fly-in by several aircraft there was a (local authority?) requirement to provide marshals for public safety - which seemed reasonable. Also the marshals would have been able to check out the surface conditions 'on the day'. But, sadly, it blew, and it p...ersisted down.....
Slip

Croqueteer
20th Sep 2002, 23:50
Iv'e landed an Aztec on Barra beach (The official airfield) a few time in the past, no big deal, but a fresh water wash is essential on returning to base, as salt water begins to eat aluminum in hours. Loganair did, and probably still does, run a daily flight from Glasgow. Barra of course is in the outer hebrides.

bingoboy
21st Sep 2002, 06:53
Up here in the North West (england) we actually have 2 beaches regularly flown into by GA/ML - Pilling Sands and Middleton. Both border Morecombe Bay and both are/were on the map. Pilling is still OK but Middleton now has some restrictions due to the power plant no fly zone but can still be used by landing south of it and taxying up to the cafe. (BMAA have details of this). Also Southport used to have a beach airfield but this seems disused now.

In the early days of flight beaches in the UK were frequently used does anyone have any details/info on were and when ?

Genghis the Engineer
21st Sep 2002, 08:09
Incidentally, if you do need to get off a beach other than by flying off, I have proven that you can taxi uphill through soft sand - unlike a car you aren't relying upon the wheels to push you and propeller thrust will do it. But, it takes a lot of power and is rather alarming for spectators.

Also (for microlight pilots really) if you are going to have to rig or de-rig, DON'T DO IT ON THE SAND which will get into every available crevise and take months to finally clean out. Find a lawn or car-park that you can taxi to and re-reg there.

I've flown with the inestimable but now sadly retired Tony Wells from Pilling Sands. I think if you get the tides right you'd not struggle to fly circuits in a 747 there, and it has the advantage of being marked on the chart. Stunning place to practice PFLs since you can actually turn the engine off at almost any point in perfect safety (or as perfect as an inability to do a go-around, but the certaintly of a good landing surface gives you).

G

EKKL
21st Sep 2002, 09:26
How do i get permission to land on the beach Ok, here is a pointer.. "Ring ring, Hello, can i land on the beach please?. :D :D

LowNSlow
21st Sep 2002, 11:10
I knew a chap who used to land on the beaches around the Isle of Wight.

I was well up for this until said chap's friend told me he'd wrecked his Cub doing it :eek:

PS This all happened a long time ago when Pontius was a pilot :D :D

The nearest I've got to landing on a beach was a low pass along the surf flat out in a Twin Commanche at 50' (the beach was deserted) on one of the longer beaches in West Wales. Great fun and legal as well cos the gunnery range was closed :D :D :D

Sensible
21st Sep 2002, 19:45
Genghis,

DON'T DO IT ON THE SAND which will get into every available crevise and take months to finally clean out.

Point taken, but I learned this as a teenager :D :D :D

Also learned to avoid pine needles :D :D :D

QDMQDMQDM
21st Sep 2002, 20:36
How do i get permission to land on the beach Ok, here is a pointer.. "Ring ring, Hello, can i land on the beach please?.

Very funny. Please forward the relevant phone number in your next post.

QDM

Genghis the Engineer
21st Sep 2002, 21:06
Sensible, so did I. It was only later that I discovered it applied to aeroplanes as well.

G