PDA

View Full Version : Instructors Rating

spils
19th Sep 2002, 07:53
I am a recently qualified PPL'er and would appreciate any info on how much I would most likely shell out in order to progress to my instructors rating.
Also, what is the easiest way of going about this?

Apologies for the vague posting, and I appreciate any input.

Cheers,

Spils.

FlyingForFun
19th Sep 2002, 08:03
Hi!

First of all, you'll need to do the written exams. If there is absolutely no chance of you ever wanting to do anything beyond instructing, you can do the CPL exams. But if there's even the slightest chance you'll want to do an Instrument Rating and get a frozen ATPL in the future, then do the ATPL exams. Don't know about CPL exams, but I believe you can do the ATPL exams for about £4000 (can someone confirm the price) if you do a full-time residential course, which would definitely be the best way to go as long as you don't currently have another job or other commitments which would stop you from doing this. If you can't study full time, or you want to keep costs down, you can do a distance learning course instead, which will cost you about £2000.

When you say "recently qualified", how recently do you mean? You might have to do some hour-building. The next stage in your training is a CPL, but you need 150 hours before you can start this, and 200 hours before license issue. The training is a minimum of 25 hours, so let's say allow 30 hours including a couple of hours for the test itself, and a couple of hours above the minimums, and if you start with 150 hours you could well finish with 180 hours - still 20 hours short of what you need for license issue. So you probably want to hour-build to at least 170 hours before starting the CPL. The cost of this will depend on lots of factors - will you be renting? Here or abroad? Or will you buy your own aircraft, or a share in your aircraft? If you're buying, is it PFA or CofA? Etc, etc, etc.

After the CPL, you'll need to do a flight instructors course. Don't know any details about how many hours are required for this, though - sorry.

You'll probably also find it helpful to have an IMC rating. This will allow you to take your students into IMC (for example, during the small amount of instrument training you'll do, or if the exercise your doing can be done on top of the clouds) once you're an instructor. There are minimum requirements for starting this, but there's no reason why you can't do the rating as part of your hour building, so it won't need to increase your total number of hours, and therefore won't affect the cost too much.

There is a lot more detail that I've left out... for example, I'm sure there's a minimum P1 requirement for getting a CPL, something like 100 hours but I can't quite remember. I'm sure others will fill in the gaps. But this should at least give you an idea of what is required. Then, you'll have to find a job ;)

Good luck!

FFF
----------

Send Clowns
19th Sep 2002, 08:53
Well, as a bare set of estimated figures:

* Hour building about £8,000+ (depending what you do and where)
* ATPL groundschool £4,000 (bit less for CPL - don't know who do it full-time - I think GTS do it as distance learning)
* CPL £5,000
* Instructor rating £5,500
* Instrument rating when you want one £9,000

Since as a full-time PPL instructor you could expect to earn around £10-12,000 per annum, I suggest you don't do this for the money!

If you don't want to get paid for the instructing you will not need the ATPL groundschool or CPL, the hours building may be a little cheaper

BEagle
19th Sep 2002, 09:05
The smart money reckons that the buds of recovery are starting to appear. But they will need to become shoots, so we're not there just yet....

Some things are moving; people on holding leave have been called back, a certain Big Airline is going to start Jet Orientation Courses again soon, another will have to start looking for pilots again towards the end of the year.... Then the turboprop pilots will move to jets, the struggling club FIs will move to turboprops and there will be an increasing demand for instructors to train more newcomers. Salaries will have to reflect this - but it'll take some time to recover to such a situation.

But if George Dubya continues to stir up trouble, there will be no hope of any recovery for years and years....

Fogbound
19th Sep 2002, 09:08
Pre-entry Requirements
#PPL (A).
#200 hours total time, with 100 hours PIC for CPL/ATPL holders, and 150 hours PIC for PPL holders.
#Demonstrated minimum level of theoretical knowledge of CPL or ATPL examinations (in other words you have to have passed the exams!).
#Minimum age of 18.
#30 hours SEPL, with 5 hours in the 6 months preceding the pre-entry flight test.
#10 hours instrument flight time.
#20 hours of cross country flying as PIC, including a flight of not less than 540km (300nm) with 2 full-stop landings at different aerodromes.
#Pass a pre-entry flight test.

Training Syllabus
#30 hours of flight training of which 5 hours can be mutual.
#60 hours of ground school. 65 hours home study.
#Course duration - full time approximately 5 weeks - weather dependent.

Hope this helps

StrateandLevel
22nd Sep 2002, 11:33
#60 hours of ground school. 65 hours home study.

Not quite! Groundschool is 125 hours of which up to 30 can be private study/preparation.