PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Cross Country Solo

ChiSau
18th Sep 2002, 15:56
Second cross country solo coming up on Saturday (weather permitting):confused:

Supposed to be London, via Oxford overhead to Coventry via Draycote Water. Then back again obviously!

Any advice????

:)

tomahawk1673
18th Sep 2002, 16:37
Relax and enjoy it!

AerBabe
18th Sep 2002, 21:41
Well said Tomahawk.
You'll be able to see Draycote from about 20 nm away, on a clear day. Be nice to the ATCOs at Cov and they'll look after you.

Doudou
19th Sep 2002, 03:15
Just enjoy, the Two first solo X-C are really something special, it's such a great sensation to feel that you're able to fly from point A to point B by yourself.
Have fun

sennadog
19th Sep 2002, 10:07
Do as much of your planning the night before that you can so that you have more time to concentrate on things the next day.

tacpot
19th Sep 2002, 13:37
Look carefully at the shape of Pitsford Water (to the North of North), it is very distinctive, and is an excellent tool for area navigation as you approach Draycott.

Be aware Derby Aero Club also send students on their first solo XC to Draycott Water.

Masts at Daventry can be either very easy to see or very hard. Make sure you don't go below you safety altitude.

Enjoy it.

Holdposition
19th Sep 2002, 21:35
Enjoy it, do your planning before hand as much as you can and don't forget to pop a mars bar etc in your case to enjoy enroute....oh and lets us know how it went,

Good luck!

AerBabe
19th Sep 2002, 22:41
tacpot Be aware Derby Aero Club also send students on their first solo XC to Draycott Water It's also the most often used VRP for joining Coventry.... so it can get very busy. Keep your eyes open, and the radio up ;)

Grim Reaper 14
20th Sep 2002, 11:40
On the off-chance that you've been into 'Jet Blast' lately, I'd forget the Mars Bar in case it takes your mind off what you're supposed to be doing. A bottle of water did it for me (the refreshment thing that is, rather than as an alternate for an internal Mars Bar.....), as I recall lots of sweating and an immense thirst during mine, especially when I cocked up the joining procedure for my first landaway :rolleyes:

FlyingForFun
20th Sep 2002, 11:45
I'd be careful about taking water with you, or you may need to make an un-scheduled stop :eek:

(Yes, I am speaking from personal experience!)

FFF
---------------