PDA

View Full Version : Cheap FTO

erjdriver
17th Sep 2002, 21:13
Hello ppruners,

any advice on a cheap FTO where I can train for a JAA CPL?
Possibly near MAN of LGW.

Thanks folks.

PEACE

Fogbound
18th Sep 2002, 10:50
A few friendly pointers when choosing an FTO on its merits as the cheapest option!

When making any investment or choosing a school there are a number of factors to consider, each of which are weighted differently by each individual:

- cost of the course
- past training record/reputation of the school
- airfield facilities, ie beacons, ils, CAA on site?
- location of the school. Would you be happy to live in the area for your training?
- facilities/general presentation of the school. Would you be happy going there day in day out for the duration of your course?

As I say, a multi millionaire with loads of time on his hands may not be so concerned about the cost of the course, but may be more worried about local 5 star accomodation!:p Where as you have financial considerations to think about :(

The cheapest course on the outset doesn't always turn out that way in the long run. Here are but a few 'between the lines and in the small print' things to consider.

1. Does the price include - VAT
- Fuel
- Approach AND Landing Fees

(Some schools say "landing fee included" they literally mean the last final full stop landing, all other approaches, touch and goes and go arounds are added on after each sortie! This can add up quickly. I am familiar with 3 approaches and a final full stop on a standard IR trip, with fees at some airports being £20 - £25 per approach, this can add to the course cost dramatically!)

2. How many students per instructor?

(If you are fighting for your instructors attention against another 4/5 of his workload then the chances are you will not be flying every day! In the advanced training continuity is VITAL! A lack of continuity is likely to add to the number of hours training you require above the course minimum)

3. Does the company keep you with the same instructor for the duration or are you likely to fly with numerous instructors?

(By flying with a different instructor for nearly every sortie you may be repeating sections of excersises that you are proficient at and any changes in instructional technique may serve to confuse you in an already high work load situation!)

4. Aircraft. Condition, type and standardisation.

(If aircraft are poorly maintained they don't fly well, if at all. This means more of your time spent sitting on the groung twiddling your thumbs whilst you are off work and not earning but still paying out the usual bills! If the fleet of training aircraft are a mixed batch of type and instrument fitting, it means that little bit of spare capacity you have in the air is likely to be taken up by trying to find the damn instrument box which was there in the aircraft you flew yesterday but is elsewhere in the one you are in now, as you are blundering into airspace trying frantically to tune in the right frequency on the right box!)

5. Does the training airfield have all the facilities required for your course?

(If you have to transit to another field just to shoot an ILS or practice NDB work then this is burning time and money for you. By choosing a school on an airfield with the majority of the aides ie NDB, ILS, DME, VOR, you reduce the added cost!)

6. Testing times.............. Is there a CAAFU on site?

(By training at an airfield with the CAA on site you are familiar with the area and routes used for your skills test! This has huge morale boosting benefits and may help you in that stressful test time!)

I hope this is of benefit to you. The information is sourced from my experiences in choosing an FTO and helping others find the right one for them.

Good luck
:D :) :p :confused: :p :) :D

erjdriver
18th Sep 2002, 18:36
Fogbound,

thank you...excellent points indeed.
The fact is that I only need a few hours for my FAA ATP conversion. It's a mater of a couple of days (hopefully).
Since I can fly for free to either MAN and LGW, I am looking for an FTO in those vicinities where I could meet the coversion requirements quickly and at a reasonable price.

Thank y'all.

PEACE

Mark 1
19th Sep 2002, 12:34
The list of approved schools is on the CAA web site.

As far as I know, you can't do it at MAN or LGW but there are a couple at Leeds and one at Redhill I believe.