PDA

View Full Version : Tipsy Nipper, any advice ?

Unusual Attitude
17th Sep 2002, 20:00
Just sold my C172 share and am very seriously considering a share in a Tipsy Nipper (the one at Dundee if anyone knows it)

I've about 200 hours now in a variety of machines but never in anything particularly aerobatic hence the reason I'm considering this.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on the Nipper or just any general good or bad comments since I cant seem to find much info on them.

Anything would be appreciated !

Regards

UA

Genghis the Engineer
17th Sep 2002, 20:59
It's a PFA type I believe, so look on their website to see if there are any handling notes available.

Before buying into any syndicate, I'd recommend:-

- Check the maintenance history, anything major and worrying deferred or coming up?
- Check the availability, how often are you likely to, and are you allowed, to fly it.

And with only 200 hours, take it easy for at least half a dozen hours until you're reasonably firmly in the groove with it - don't jump in too deep, you'll only frighten yourself and ruin the pleasure of it.

However, I don't know much about the Nipper specifically, sorry.

G

stiknruda
17th Sep 2002, 21:45
Have a couple of friends who have owned/campaigned Nippers in the last few years.

Drop me a line and I'll put you in touch with them.

Both have recently test flown an esoteric Nipper rebuild and have compared notes.

I've never flown one but must admit that I think they are cute!

Stik

Unusual Attitude
18th Sep 2002, 18:14
Thanks for the advice Genghis,

I'm pretty well up on group pitfalls etc as I'd had my 172 share for a few years and have had to dip into my pocket in the past!

As for my first half dozen flights or so I'd just planned to get a feel for the aircraft as I would in any new type.
Was thinking of circuits, stalls, PFL's & EFATO's building up to some steep turns and perhaps some spins once I was happy with the handling.

I'm also considering some aero's instruction in an Aerobat to brush up on the basics, I did some a few years ago but its all a bit rusty now !

Stik - thanks for that any advice or experiences would be very much appreciated.

Regards

UA

Rod1
18th Sep 2002, 19:04
I owned one until 3 years ago. Drop me a line and I can give you any info you want. Very nice aircraft but has one or two “interesting” features. I am still looking at getting a share in one locally, if I can talk the owner into it……….

Rod

DB6
18th Sep 2002, 20:00
I know G-AVXD very well having helped get it back in the air a couple of years back. It's fully aerobatic with inverted fuel and oil systems however if you haven't flown any aeros get some time in one of the Aerobats first. There are a couple of chaps at Tayside who can give you a good brief and there are some notes at the club that I prepared which summarise a lot of the bits and bobs.
The first thing you have to do is learn how to hand swing it yourself so you don't have to wait for anyone else to turn up. The flying is actually very easy although it doesn't taxy well in winds over about 15 kts. Downwind checks are great - brakes off and harness tight; there isn't anything else! Cracking little aircraft, feel free to email me if you want any specific details.

formationfoto
19th Sep 2002, 07:11
Nick Bloom at PILOT magazine recently rebuilt one and gushes over it as a frugal aerobatic mount. He can be contacted via the PILOT office (contact details in the magazine). He also wrote an article on it in a recent edition of the magazine.

Please don't regard this as an inducement to purchase PILOT magazine.

CRX
20th Sep 2002, 15:18
I own the twin sister of the aircraft you are looking at- G-AVXC!
The type is great fun to fly, generally very easy, and has very few vices; although there are a few things that need to be briefed before you fly it. Such as awareness that this is a low momentum type. Lose the engine and you are coming down steeply if not fast. Glide ratio is about 3.4 to 1.The controls are very powerful and work effectively right down to the stall (about 30-35knots indicated), the stick forces are light and a gentle touch is needed for normal flying. There are also the usual precautions to be taken with the VW engine, they are very prone to carb ice. I would add at this point that the most important check to carry out downwind would be 'carb heat',do you agree DB6?
As you are considering a group owned aircraft you are likely to have advice available with regard to general operations and maintenance, there are a few hints and tips that are best learnt from others than at your own cost. An example is the need to lift the tail of the aircraft once it is put away in the hangar, this takes the stresses and strains off the u/c bungees. If left 'stretched' they will perish and fail prematurely. There are many other bits and bobs I have picked up over the past three years, mail me for more info.
There is a book available which is very useful about the history of each and every Nipper built. It was written by a Belgian guy called Raymond Cuypers, he also has a website. Just type 'Tipsy Nipper' or 'Raymond Cuypers' into any search engine and you will inevitably find it.
Good luck with it all.

CRX.

Ps: How tall are you? Measure it up before you commit

DB6- After re-reading your post could it be that G-AVXD is fuel injected and therefore does not have carbheat?

DB6
22nd Sep 2002, 07:08
Correctamundo, CRX. XD is indeed fuel injected. Just keeps on going (well it did when I was flying it anyway). It is well maintained as Tayside Aviation retains the majority shareholding and since there is a bit of history to G-AVXD (i.e. it is the original aircraft used to set up Tayside in the late sixties) it gets well looked after.