PDA

View Full Version : hourly operating cost of airliners

mattpilot
17th Sep 2002, 14:16
Hi all

I was wondering what the average operating cost of an airliner is. I'd especially like to know it of the 737. This figure should include every cost, from maintence to fuel to crew pay.

I looked on http://www.planequest.com/OperationCosts/ and it shows a Gulfstream G-V with an average of 300 hours a year costing roughly $2000/hr.

So i figure a 737 would be somewhere around $3000-$8000/hr. Honestly, i have no clue and i'm just guessing :). But i got into an arguement with my friends and we need it settled :cool:

Speedbrake Lever
17th Sep 2002, 15:39
Can give you 320, 330, and 767 costs but their age varies so it really depends, obviously the older they get the more Maintenance plays a bigger role

but for a round about sort of figure
you could say 4k $ for a 320 ( 10 yr old variety)
but thats assuming no REPAY its totally owned

so you'd have to base the cost without the Credit Union's cost
which of course will vary vastly from Compant to Co.

S.L.

mattpilot
18th Sep 2002, 00:44
thanks - thats what i was looking for

rupetime
18th Sep 2002, 09:55
dont forget your hourly costs vary according to how many
hours you plan to fly it - you will have fixed costs such as
crew insurance offices that cant be avoided if you plan to fly
one hour a year its far more expensive than if you want to
fly your b737 2500 hours a year.

Its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question as the aircraft
can also vary in costs if you are flying low density longer hour sectors or high density short hour sectors.

I think its Mr Branson that was once quoted as saying "If you want to make a million in Aviation start off with £5million" !

rt

mattpilot
18th Sep 2002, 13:59
:)
thanks for the comment, but i guess i should clarify that i'm not going to start an airline :cool:

I was just wondering how many seats Delta would have to fill in order to "cut even" on certain short haul flights.

mattpilot
21st Sep 2002, 03:03
Another quick question:

What is the operating cost of a CRJ700 or something similar that is in this class?

same criteria as above and its fully owned.