PDA

View Full Version : QXC - It can be done!!

G SXTY
16th Sep 2002, 20:18
For those of you who thought that doing your QXC this ‘summer’ was just a fantasy, proof that nothing is impossible:

I pull back the curtains and stare in disbelief at a clear blue sky. After God knows how many lessons cancelled due wx, holidays, sickness, change of instructor etc, my QXC is finally on. I confirm the TAFs & METARs for Norwich & Saafend, jump in the car and head over to Stapleford, still not quite believing I’m finally about to do it.

I brief my instructor for the trip, and we go off for a couple of quick circuits, just to make sure I can still fly. Luckily I can, so we land, fill up G-BTGW with enough avgas to get me to Cuba, and at last I’m ready. I trundle up to the 04L hold, do my power checks and have a grandstand view of a Tiger Moth on short finals. Into position, wait briefly while he clears, full power and I’m off.

I climb out over the M25 traffic, feeling very superior (it’s at a standstill as usual) and turn right to pick up junction 28 and my first waypoint. Sort out heading, altitude and airspeed, start the clock & tune in Southend approach. They’re busy, so it’s FIS only, but at least they know I’m there. Now, for the first time in the flight, I get a chance to relax and marvel at the view. A few small cumulus at around 4,000’ and the visibility must be 20 miles or more - God, I love this feeling - it makes you want to write poetry. If slipping the surly bonds is this good in a little Cessna, what must it feel like in a Spitfire? Southend wake me up with a traffic report, even though I’m just on a FIS. I spot him, but it’s very nice to know there’s another pair of eyes and a radar screen helping me out.

Soon I’m outside their range, and retune to London Information. It looks like I’m the only one going north, everyone else is off to Le Touquet, and the controller is heroically managing to keep his cool; “Stand by no.4”, “Two at once”, etc etc. I’m impressed by his professionalism, and keep on trucking. The Orwell bridge appears, right on the nose and right on time, but it’s a bit early to get cocky – the next leg is pretty featureless, so my nav needs to be up to scratch.

I turn and tune to Norwich approach as the DME reassuringly counts down the numbers. The approach frequency is lovely and quiet [I like that:)], and I check in with them nice and early. No nasty surprises, and I’m visual with the city from 25 miles, but where is everyone? It’s such a beautiful day and I can’t believe I’ve got the sky to myself (then again, maybe I’m just rubbish at spotting traffic). Transfer to the tower, and they’ve got an F50 doing circuits. He obligingly extends crosswind to give me room, and I join left base for 27. Turn finals, crab into the northerly wind, and I track towards the vast runway. So vast, in fact, that I completely misjudge my height, and commence the ‘flare’ about 2 seconds before impact. :eek: Impressively large balloon, followed by a reasonable touchdown, and I shuffle off the runway. The man with the table tennis bats is waiting for me (this is great, I feel like a real pilot) and he drives me to the terminal as a Britannia 757 parks up.

I pay the fee and get my form stamped, but decide against going in for a drink – I really don’t need security going through my flight bag and confiscating my multi-tool (in case I decide to seize control of the aircraft I’m flying). :rolleyes: So just a quick oil & fuel check – not enough for Cuba now, but I could probably still get to the Isle of Wight – and I’m off again. The traffic is just as light on the way back, just one or two gliders enjoying the thermals, but London Information is as crazy as before.

The DME tells me I’ve 30 to run to Southend, so I call approach, who are as helpful as ever. The frequency is nice and quiet as well, so I concentrate on my checks and the lookout. I have a beautiful view of the Blackwater & Crouch estuaries as I run in, making sure I give Bradwell PS a wide berth (I’m not sure if getting shot down would fail my QXC, but I’m not keen to find out). Call the tower and I’m no.1 – incredible, last time I was no.5 and the downwind leg lasted to Canvey Island. He makes sure I’m visual with an outbound Shed, and clears me to land. Remembering to flare this time, I manage a reasonable landing on 24. As I taxi in I notice the huge crowds that have gathered everywhere. For a minute I think they’ve come to witness my milestone of flight, but the resident Vulcan is doing fast taxi runs, and for some reason no-one is interested in my C152. :(

I’d love to stay and watch as well, but I should really give the aircraft back, so I get my form stamped, pay the fee and jump back in. Do the power checks right in front of the Vulcan and its hundreds of admirers, but they seem curiously unmoved by my display of raw power (even at 1,700rpm). I call ‘ready departure’, line up and head for home.

Arriving overhead Stapleford, I fly a nice tidy circuit and turn finals for 04L, noting that the northerly wind has backed quite a bit, and I’m laying off a lot more drift than before. Still, I’ve just flown a 170nm round trip, so this should be a doddle. However, Norwich & Southend don’t have bumpy grass runways that head downhill towards a big hedge . . . Sure enough, I arrive at the threshold with too much energy, and it floats happily down the runway while I struggle to stay on the centreline. Touch down, bounce [must have been a nasty bump / gust;)] and the left wing lifts dramatically. I’m not in the mood for taking any chances, so I go around, fuming to myself at the thought of not being able to land at my home airfield. Fortunately my instructor is on the frequency, and he negotiates a change to runway 28 for me. This time I make sure the speeds are nailed, and I touch down and roll to a stop right in front of the clubhouse.

And there endeth the QXC. I was surprised how unexcited I felt afterwards – maybe I was comparing it with the euphoria of 1st solo, or maybe I was just pleased to get it done after so many false starts. Or perhaps I was just a bit knackered, and relieved to park up with three wheels still attached. Only now, a couple of weeks later, is the sense of achievement starting to sink in.

Buy me a pint at the London bash, and I’ll bore you at even greater length, but then again, if you managed to read this far without falling asleep, maybe I should be buying one for you! :D

aztec25
16th Sep 2002, 20:35
Nice one! A great read...
Brings back memories.
Well done!
AZ

sennadog
17th Sep 2002, 07:32
G SXTY ...........

Congratulations! Glad you didn't get shot down and that has to be one of the better posts regarding the QXC that I've seen.

When have you booked the Skills Test?

Grim Reaper 14
17th Sep 2002, 08:12
(With apologies to the esteemed Mr. Connolly), you G SXTY Sir, are no longer a mere story teller, you are a 'wreck-on-tour'.

TWF!!:D :D

chilleruk1
17th Sep 2002, 08:23
Nice post G SXTY, well done. After my QXC in August, all I could think of was how physically and mentally knackered I was! I don't think I have ever concentrated so hard...and those 152 seats are not exactly comfy!

Good luck with the rest of the training.

Who has control?
17th Sep 2002, 09:23
Nice Post -TV, I was with you all the way!

Congratulations.

Big Bad Dom
17th Sep 2002, 09:54
Congratulations G-SXTY, very glad to hear about your achievement. Look forward to buying you a pint at the next bash!

FlyingForFun
17th Sep 2002, 11:04
Buy me a pint at the London bash, and I’ll bore you at even greater length
You're on! Well done mate!

FFF
-------------

Lawyerboy
17th Sep 2002, 11:10
Well done, sah! And if I may intrude with my own little announcement, I'd just like to say that after waiting some three (or is it four?) months to get on with it I finally managed to get my QXC done yesterday as well:D

Not the most ideal of days. Stapleford - Leicester - Cambridge - Stapleford, going out to the East would have been fine I suspect but the further North I went the murkier and more unpleasant it got; in places BKN down to 2,000ft or so, OVC not much higher, dark and rather dismal.

Set off from Stapleford shortly after midday, ducked under the clouds as I passed by Stevenage, started feeling a lot more comfortable as I went overhead the old Bedford areodrome and turned towards Sywell. Wellingborough under the nose, turn to the right, and finally in uncharted territory; haven't been this far north before, start feeling a little nervous as I wonder whether I'll actually be able to see the airfield. No need to be worried, though, spot Market Harborough very early on, the airfield should just be.... there. 28 on offer, join base, hit the tarmac like a lead balloon. Easy to misjudge, these wide runways.

Bump into a guy doing his QXC out of Norwich there, exchange pleasantries, get offered a coffee, but I know what I'm like - better not to drink anything until I get to Cambridge, don't have an empty bottle to hand. Set off again after about ten minutes, and run into my first bit of trouble. I take off on 28, head out over Leicester and turn crosswind, then downwind. The radio's off air, think about setting course overhead, decide against it; see the airfield behind me, set course, off I go. But a little later on I see Corby about two miles to the right of where it should be, and I correct course. I've been doing the checks, the compass is aligned with the DI, must have set course in the wrong place. Hey ho, I know where I am now, no problem. Ten minutes later wonder why Graffham Water is over there, when it should be over here. Check the DI again, nope, no problem - still aligned with the compass. Head over to my waypoint, start over. Wind must be a little stronger than forecast, so I adjust heading accordingly.

Then I get completely, and hopelessly, lost.

Bourn isn't where it should be. Neither, for that matter, is anything else. Look at the chart, look at the ground, don't recognise a thing. Look behind, can't see Graffham Water anymore, too murky, start to panic. Think I recognise a village to my left, turn towards it. Recognise nothing else around it.

Start to really panic.

I see a communications tower. Aha! Know where I am now. Do I head for it and plot a course from the tower to Cambridge? No, of course not. That would be the sensible thing to do. I turn around and try to find where I should have been. Get lost again. All the time I can hear Cambridge Approach and get annoyed as I wish they'd simply call me up and say 'head this way!'. But they don't.

Panicking too much, not thinking properly. Calm down, be sensible about this. Take a few deep breaths, take a good long hard look out of the window. Suddenly see such an instantly recognisable landmark that I wonder why on earth I didn't see it before. Then I realise I did see it before but was in such a panic that it just didn't click. Great, this time let's be clever. Look at the chart, plot the course (just with a pencil against the nearest VOR rose, but that's good enough) and head off to Cambridge. Two minutes later see the town, and just behind it see the white hangers. Breathe the longest and most enjoyable sigh of relief ever. Call them up, get offered an overhead for 05 and even get to watch a 727 take off ahead of me.

After I've landed and booked in I sit down with a cup of tea and take a few very deep breaths. Ten minutes later get back in Uniform Sierra, head off to Stapleford, call up Duxford and wonder why there's no response. Realise that I've actually dialled up Compton Abbas, retune, and the rest of the trip is completely, wonderfully, uneventful.

What went wrong? Well, I think I let myself relax a little bit too much. Didn't concentrate enough, and didn't realise that the wind might be doing something other than what it was forecast to do. When I realised I couldn't recognise the landscape anymore I should have taken a deep breath, checked the compass against the DI, calmly looked from chart to ground and, if necessary, retrace my steps; I'd been at a very obvious landmark only a few minutes before. Instead I panicked; ambled about in the dark trying to find something I recognised, in reality looking from ground to chart, not thinking.

I hadn't realised that I would react like that and I'm glad that I went through the experience, even if it's not one I'd care to repeat. Not something I'll allow to happen again.

FlyingForFun
17th Sep 2002, 11:49
Lawyerboy, well done!

Sounds like you handled things pretty well, and had a good learning experience too! The first time you get lost (sorry, become temporarilly uncertain of your position) is scary - but when you manage to find yourself again, it gives you a huge confidence boost, because now you know that you're capable of sorting things out if they do go wrong.

My only comment would be in response to your comment: "When I realised I couldn't recognise the landscape anymore I should have... retraced my steps." I'd disagree with that. If the wind is doing sufficiently strange things to blow you to somewhere you don't recognise, then it's probably strong enough that doing a simple 180-degree turn won't work. And you can't compensate for the wind in your turn, since you don't know what the wind is doing right now. I'd suggest that you're far better off staying where you are - circle around an obvious point on the ground if necessary. You know how long ago you were at the prominent landmark (hopefully you noted it on your log, but if not you'll at least have a rough idea), and you know how fast you've been going and roughly what direction you've been going, so you know roughly where you are. Now, find two or three features on the ground, and then locate them on your chart. But the fact that you got home safely shows that there's more than one way to skin a cat - what you did obviously worked, and that's the important thing! :)

Also, if you depart from your plan for any reason (such as when you turned around to try to get back on track, or if you decide to circle while you identify your position), make sure you note down on your log what you're doing and what time you're doing it. Then, if you still can't figure out where you are, at least you've got a log of what headings you've been flying and for how long, and hopefully you can use that to plot your actual course, or something close to it.

Congrats!

FFF
-------------

G SXTY
17th Sep 2002, 12:56
Blimey Lawerboy, congrats on the QXC, but I’m glad I did mine before you – I probably wouldn’t have gone if I’d read your post first . . . :eek:

Of course, there’s the one guaranteed ‘get out of jail free’ card if you’re, ahem, temporarily uncertain of your position:
Dial up 121.5, make sure it’s nice and quiet, and go:
“TRAINING FIX (x3), LONDON CENTRE, G-LOST, REQUEST TRAINING FIX”
A very nice man in blue will then triangulate your position on his ordinance survey, and give you your position to within 2-3 miles.

Your can then put on your best BA captain on a sunday morning jolly accent and say:
“THANK YOU SIR, THAT’S WHAT I’VE GOT”;)

And for good measure, when he asks you if you require any further assistance, say:
“REQUEST HEADING TO STEER TO CAMBRIDGE”

Been there, watched them do it. It’s not like dialling 999 – they really are happy to help you out whenever you need it.

FFF & BBD – I’ll see you at the bar, (I’ll be the one tying my shoelaces very slowly). :D:D

chilleruk1
17th Sep 2002, 13:01
...and a practise QDM when you get nearer the field, i guess, just to make sure! :D

Lawyerboy
17th Sep 2002, 13:16
Thanks FFF and G-SXTY. I did think about 121.5 and came remarkably close, but in the end was determined not to let the situation warrant it. Not that it would have been, but at the time calling them up and asking for a fix felt very much like the 'damn, I've failed,' option. Something made me want to figure it all out without outside assistance.

FFF, quite right of course, simply doing a 180 probably wouldn't have helped. I was thinking more of the situation where you can see where you've come from, but I guess if I could have seen where I'd come from I wouldn't have been 'uncertain of my position' in the first place.

One last thing; G-SXTY, you said that you felt 'unexcited' after it was over. Have to confess, so did I. I thought I'd feel as though I'd just passed a milestone of some sort, but in actual fact it was no more exciting than the solo landaway I did last month. Strange, but I suppose it means I feel fairly comfortable up there, so that can't be bad;)

Evo
17th Sep 2002, 15:09
Well done both of you - and best of luck for the Skills test. When's it going to be? :)

Lawyerboy
18th Sep 2002, 11:15
Don't know about mine yet - haven't thought about it, still doing the writtens. My accountant (Mrs "how much?!?" LB) has advised that the finances are a little stretched after Monday's little jaunt around the country so it might be a few weeks before I get back in the saddle again anyway. Time to concentrate on the Trevor Thom books...

Crosswind Limits
18th Sep 2002, 16:05
G-SXTY and Lawyerboy,

Well done! It's almost two years to the day that I did my QXC in G-BTGW from EGSG-EGSH-EGMC-EGSG. Those were the days!;)