PDA

View Full Version : FIr Jobs? Is there a backlog?

thecoltster
16th Sep 2002, 16:35
I am interested to hear opinions on whether or not it has now become (or is becoming) as hard to get a FI job as it is to get a job with the operators that low experience guys like myself 'could' traditionally get into? Surely given that few, if any companies are recruiting pilots as FO's there are alot of people trying to stay current and build experience by becoming an instructor? At the same time the top end experienced instructors remain in their postions leaving little or no chances for newly qualified instructors to get a job?
I fancy instructing as a new challenge and a way to build experiece and of course, as a means to an ends, however not meaning to be a pussy about the whole thing I wonder if now is not a great time to do it? Guess you have to be in it to win it tho!!! Opinions appreciated!

BEagle
17th Sep 2002, 06:30
There does seem to be a surplus of FI(R)s at present. For the first time I can remember I've had to refuse part-time emploment to one as I now have sufficient for our requirements.

Employing a umber of FI(R)s increases our supervisory burden as we need to have a FI available to oversee their activities (albiet discretely). But when they've achieved their 100+25, their 'employability' improves enormously!

Howver, unless a US assault on Iraq damages the airline industry yet further, airline recruiting will begin to ramp up again within the next year or so, according to 'industry sources'. Those FIs who have been loyally working so hard at flying schools during the current slump may then decide to move on - and the very best of luck to them if they do! Any who've worked for me will certainly get a good reference.

African Drunk
18th Sep 2002, 10:58
I know the club where i do part time work said they are recieving 10-15 CV's a week from FI(R). I agree that instructors are not moving on and this is causing a log jam but all schools/clubs are happy to turn out more FI's than ever.

However spoke to a senior bod at CAA who told me they believe there could be a shortage of commercial instructors next year as they think that the airlines will have a large recruitment taking most experienced instructors.