PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Portugal

dysynni
16th Sep 2002, 15:42
I am off to the Algarve in a few days and I was wondering whether anyboday has any details about aircraft hire in the Algarve. I gather that there is an airfield at Portimao. Does anyone have any details (website/phone no.)?

Many thanks for any help.

eveepee
16th Sep 2002, 16:10
I may be able to help- send me an email (address in profile).

undertheweather
16th Sep 2002, 22:05
As long as they don't fly like they drive!!! Portugal has (I believe) the worst road death toll in Europe - and it's not just the men, even the women seem to have testosterone coursing through their veins. Nice people though, and very hospitable.

eyeinthesky
17th Sep 2002, 10:54
It was quite a few years ago (1995), but I hired a 152 from Portimao airfield. They were very helpful, and the checkout was a quick trip round the local area, a few circuits followed by discussion of the map.

I flew with the missus from Portimao up to Cascais, which is very handy for Lisbon. Train into town and back, and a great view of the Atlantic coast and, with a detour, Cabo de Sao Vincente on the way there and back. Block time was 1hr 15 there and 1 hr 45 via CdeSV.

Enjoy.:D

soares
17th Sep 2002, 18:43
HI....

there are plenty of airfields in Portugal, however in the Algarve, there are only 2 that you cn use without any problems. They are Portimao (LPPM) and Faro (LPFR). the other 2 have problems attached to them, specially because thay are not certified, these are Lagos and Praia Verde.

You can find flying in Portugal very nice, especially in the South, however you can always plan a trip to Spain or to Lisbon.

There are a few aircrafts for rent at Portimao, as well as in Faro, but be aware from whom you do that, because of maintenance problems.

As some as mentioned, the driving is not famous in Portugal, but it is not that bad, despite the fact that you will have to drive on the right side of the road. The flying is traditional.

If you need more info send me a message since I live in Portugal, near Portimao and I am sure that I can help you.

all the best!

Trislander
18th Sep 2002, 14:20
Isn't there an airfield at Vilamoura or Quartiera (can't remember which) near the millennium golf course?

Trislander

soares
18th Sep 2002, 22:03
Yes you are right ther used to be an airfield in Vilamoura but it was a private one. A notam got out about 2 months ago stating that it is no longer usable. It is about to become another golf course. :eek: ...... that is life. The company that worked there, is now closed, the had no where to go, no one liked them.

all the best!

willbav8r
18th Sep 2002, 23:17
I lived in Carvoeiro for a few years. Headed back to visit in a few weeks.

What is the deal regarding an FAA licence and Medical? Would I need a JAA licence/medical to rent there?

Wouldn't mind renting a PA28 or Cessna (or even a Seminole) WITH an instructor to do a run along the coastline. Anyone have any hire details/leads for me?

I met the guy that ran the field near Lagos (ex RAF?). An old schoolfriend of mine learned to fly microlights there.

I guess that is over 10 yrs ago now. Yikes :eek:

soares
19th Sep 2002, 08:35
That is amazing......I live in Carvoeiro......small wprld in fact.....

Well regarding your FAA license and medical.......you donīt really need a JAA one, but in order to fly solo on portuguese registered aircrafts (remember rules change accrording to countrys) you need it to be validated in Portugal, mainly in Lisbon. It is the only place where they will do it. (and it actually takes 3 weeks).

However if you just want to fly along the coast line purely for sight seeing, in order to keep it legal, you have to do it on the left side (you need a special permit to receive instruction) but it is fairly easy to arrange for that.

Let me know.....I think I can arrange for that easily...

About Lagos aerodrome......your are mentioning Gerry Breen. In fact ex RAF, but as a mechanic. He actually runs a microlight school there, but unfortunately does not have any airplanes for hire. Also keep in mind that the runway is (TDA) 500 m long and 5 meters wide, with plenty of obstroctuions on take-off (powerlines, trees, strong winds, houses, gas station and a convinient placed mountain 400m from the end of the runway which is impossible to fly over after take-off)

Well if you need something just give me a buzz

PS: the only PA28 that are in Portugal are located north of Lisbon, but you can easily rent plenty of cessnas. there arenīt any Seminoles in Portugal.

all the best!

Mak
19th Sep 2002, 12:43
Dysinni,

I recently flew in Portugal (in Lisbon though, not in the Algarve) and I found there are quite a few UK registered planes there. According to the instructor I flew with that's because it's cheaper to register in the UK than in Portugal.

So if you get in touch with the club ahead of time you may actually get hold of a G reg craft and avoid having to transfer the license or fly on the left side.

Mak

mixturelean
20th Sep 2002, 02:11
Hi Dysynni, I was in Vilamoura last week. Followed airport signs and eventually ended up in a ploughed field. Looks like its being prepared for a golf club. Aeroclube Do Algarve are based in Faro. They have a C152 and TB9 - roughly euro 120 - which I guess is about Ģ70 sterling per hour.

web site :
www.aeroclubealgarve.no.sapo.pt

Enjoy your hols.

Mixturelean.