PDA

View Full Version : Help with planning to Redhill from the north!

OBK!
16th Sep 2002, 13:01
I am struggling a bit as to what route to take to Redhill tomorow. Fundamentaly, I have to be in the CAA Medical House at 1245, so an early departure from Sherburn-Redhill then get a Taxi to gatwick.

There's two ways I can think of...one which is to dodge EGLL to the East, and also, to dodge EGLL to the west. The east would provide some nice sight seeing but with class A at 2500+ it's quite...scary!

Here's my routing if I was to travel east of EGLL:

Sherburn > GAM > BPK > LAM > BIG > Redhill
EET: 0132

This is also quicker as the crow flies, but I can imagine the holding enroute!

The other, not so sceninc, a bit more of a detour, but less scary:

Sherburn > GAM > DTY > CPT > BASINGSTOKE > OCK > REDHILL
EET: 0156

Any comments appreciated, Thanks.

SatInTheBack
16th Sep 2002, 13:14
BASINGSTOKE !!!!!!! I think your nav is a little out

I fly from Blackbushe and to redhill from the west should not be an issue.

try DTY > then the NDB at reading WOD, then route to epsom EPM? > and then direct redhill, ( there is a VOR around Epsom Fairoaks, but as I am work I can not remeber what it is called. )

Farnboro do a good LARS service so staying below 2500' should not be an issue as my money is on VFR in the morning.

good luck with the medicail

OBK!
16th Sep 2002, 14:53
I don't think you understand what I was trying to do.

There's class a at 2500ft+ surrounding EGLL. MSA around here is about 1700ft I think..doesn't really leave much does it?

Coming from CPT then to Basingstoke would take me all the way around the Class A, obiovusly, not allowed in there if VFR. I only chose Basingstoke as it's the only massive feature I can find on this program (Proplan 4).

I could maybe get away with going CPT DCT BPK though if I intercepted 100 radial :D

Thanks for the tips though.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
16th Sep 2002, 15:57
Assuming:

1. you're VFR all the way
2. You have NDB (GPS would be an advantage)

Try this

GAM - HEN or WCO - WOD - BLK - RDL

Radar services from Waddington, Cottesmore, Brize Norton, Benson/Northolt and Farnborough. Fly at 2400' when under the London TMA. The alt vs. safety alt really isn't an issue in this area. Everyone floats around at 2000-2400'.

OBK!
16th Sep 2002, 16:19
Thanks! perfect :>

sennadog
16th Sep 2002, 17:10
Whipping Boy's SATCO has the best idea I think. I can only offer advice for Redhill itself. If you're coming off the Ockham VOR then I'd suggest you use the railway line that runs from Guildford to Reigate but remember to stay just to the North of it to avoid Gatwick.

This sets you up for Dorking with the best visual clue being the only block of flats in the area which should show up as white (just to the South of Dorking) and I'd suggest that you make your call to Redhill TWR here.

With any luck you'll be given a straight in approach but if you do have to do an overhead join then remember that you do so by overflying the RWY in use at 1300ft to avoid conflict with any circuit traffic.

Having said that the VRPs are the Motorway junction of the M23 and M25 and if you are given this, then I'd suggest that you loosely follow the M25 and you are about 1 minute away from the junction when you overfly the radio masts on Reigate Hill.

Have fun and if you get lost - don't blame me!:p

Field In Sight
16th Sep 2002, 17:50
These are just my comments and I know that this subject has been done to death before, but!!

This flight just shows you how unnecessarily complicated UK airspace is. For example, the same thing in Southern California would be:

Line from departure direct to destination, maybe with a flight through an overhead corridor across the top of the bigger airports i.e. Heathrow.

You are talking to people the whole way and if they think you'll be in the way (which you usually aren't) they vector you about a bit and then send you on your merry way.

I don’t want to start yet another FAA/JAR argument, but airspace usage is one area that the FAA are miles ahead with.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
16th Sep 2002, 19:22
FIS makes a very good point.

As an aside, for those of you who are feeling a little bold, next time you wish to transit this area give Heathrow Radar a call (119.9) and ask for an ASCOT-BURNHAM (or vice a versa) SVFR transit. They may well approve this routeing that cuts to the East of White Waltham. However, be careful as you must stay on route, you will almost definitely be restricted to an altitude of 1000' and you must ensure you have the required in flight visibility (remember the ANO!!).

LowNSlow
17th Sep 2002, 04:14
I followed your link asinclai and was amazed to see a CIRCUIT CHARGE :eek: As if 15GBP landing fee for a single isn't enough!!
At least there is a 50% discount when uplifting fuel. Is there a minimum amout of fuel required to take advantage of this discount?

sennadog
17th Sep 2002, 06:19
Don't most airfields charge for circuits?:confused: