PDA

View Full Version : Re Skyparks ( Homes with their own runways )

Martinburney
16th Sep 2002, 11:11
Hi all

I again became interested in Airfields 4/5 years ago, when I was
looking for a suitable airfield/aerodrome/airstrip, with the
intention of pursuing the viability, of opening an Airpark, similar
to the ones in the USA.

In the UK, I only found the intention of the owners of Henstridge, to either apply, or were themselves looking at a similar project.
Henstridge did not proceed.

I beleive that, one or two have opened in Europe, but do not have up to date info. Does anyone know of these locations.

I am now looking again at this project and would be pleased to hear from enthusiasts, who would be interested in purchasing a
plot,to build a house, if the circumstances allowed.

I would certainly like to hear from anyone, who may be interested, or can provide information, on likely locations.

The ideal situation, would allow eventually, for up to 50 homes to be built, each with their own hangar or parking, adjacent to their homes.

The airstrip and communal parts, would be run by a management company, which would be equally owned by the residents.

It works in the USA, it could work here.

Your views on the concept, would be appreciated.

Regards Martin Burney

Oscar Duece
16th Sep 2002, 11:50
I thought the Henstridge plan was refused planning. Owner now selling / sold off outer parts of the site. No now a dead hope.

The hardest thing would be finding a site. After all you need a small airfeild with a hard runway, and no commercial operations / training or club at present. As these would all oppose such a development . And no one would want to live at a such a location.

There may be a couple of options around the Uk. But no one will want to live in Scotland 50 mile from an A road. Besides if you find a good site and the owner knows what the plans are. They will want millions.

Example. We own 31 acres of farmland in two prime locations in the central South (Southampton). 21 redundant with no tie at one site and 10 brownfield in use with a tie.

Current valuation for first site £ 750 k as is or £2m with some planning.(quite a height difference and next to motorway).
Second site (prime location in Hamble) currently £500 as is or close to £ 1m per acre planning for a full development. But even with this current 'organised' housing shortage. We cant get planning at second site and first is going slowly.

To make it work you need an freindly current owner...

Martinburney
16th Sep 2002, 12:05
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the minute that there's a chance for residential development the price goes sky high ( excuse the pun ) or come to that ,commercial development.

I think you're right, that Henstridge, was refused planning and the owner gave up.

Regards Martin

In Altissimus
16th Sep 2002, 13:27
You might want to have a look at this link for info on UK airfields. It contains many details of recently disused fields - some with pix!

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06airfields/UK/uk.htm

There are a surprising number which are relatively intact...

Martinburney
16th Sep 2002, 13:41
Hi

Many thanks for your info.

I have previously seen this site.

As a matter of interest I already have a database of airfields past & present in UK of 4900 locations and in Ireland a further 300.

Regards Martin Burney

QDMQDMQDM
16th Sep 2002, 14:15
Here's the French one on the Atlantic coast:

http://www.atlantic-airpark.com/

QDM

chrisN
16th Sep 2002, 15:35
As well as Henstridge, there was also a proposal for another, near Telford IIRC. That too was turned down for planning.

Planning permission is a major problem for any new aerodrome, with or without houses to turn it into an air park, and for any greenfield site for houses with or without an adjacent aerodrome. The two together seem a daunting prospect to obtain. There may even be a semi-official policy operated by planning inspectors at appeals, and/or in the Secretary of State's department, to prevent such things. The similarity of the two proposals being turned down suggests that.

Planners hate to see anyone obtaining a huge planning gain (in asset value of the site) resulting from granting planning permission (pp). Increasingly, they insist on a Section 106 "planning agreement" which requires the developer, if pp is to be granted at all, to provide funding or facilities for general public benefit - often improving roads, providing a health centre, or whatever. Farmers I know who were in an area where a new town might be developed found that the net value of their land after funding such things might improve from (then) £3000 to £5000 per acre or so, but not a mega jump.

I also know of a landowner who got pp for building a few houses by donating a further field as a recreation area for the village. The amenity is rarely used, but it did the trick.

A necessary early step is to discuss with the planning department of the district in which something is proposed, and find what the likely attitude would be. Professional planning consultants would say you should engage one of them to negotiate on your behalf. At £60-£100 per hour or more, they would say that. There is nothing to stop you doing it yourself, however.

There are no guarantees, even if the officers of the planning department are apparently helpful. There are no "No win, no fee" consultants operating in this field as far as I know. Prepare to do a lot of work, spend a lot of money, and probably not succeed.

niknak
16th Sep 2002, 22:08
I doubt that you'd find enough people who are wealthy enough to buy enough of the residences of the type to make your project viable, even if you did, they'd probably complain about the noise.

You're not only talking about a minimum of £200K + per house, but you would have to make the properties leasehold, and make annual charges appropriately.
On top of that, you have a very limited income from the airfield itself, as there will be a finite number of movements allowed during any one day - even the US airparks have this restriction.

Good luck, but if it was a viable proposition in the UK, it would already have been done.