PDA

View Full Version : Win 2000 ‘paging file’ problem

7x7
15th Sep 2002, 10:38
I’m using Win 2000 Professional. I’ve just copied the main partition of my hard drive to another hard drive using Norton’s ‘Ghost’ and am having problems using the copy. On startup, it comes up with a message that the new drive doesn’t have a paging file or the paging file is too small. I’ve followed the instructions and written in the paging file details (My Computer/Properties/Advanced etc) to no avail. I’ve even tried increasing the paging file to the maximum. Still no joy. Anyone with any ideas?

What_does_this_button_do?
15th Sep 2002, 14:45
To resolve this issue:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.

In the left pane, expand My Computer, and then click the drive that contains the paging file. Typically, this is the system drive unless you specified otherwise during Windows Setup.
NOTE: The paging file (the Pagefile.sys file) is a hidden operating system file.

To view these files:
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. (Note that you may want to select this check box again when you finish this procedure to help protect the system files.)

Click Yes when you are prompted to verify the change, and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Properties. Click the Security tab to view the current permissions.

Click Add, click System, and then click Add.

Click Administrators, click Add, and then click OK. Note that you must click Administrators, not Administrator.

Click System, and then click to select the Full Control check box.
This automatically selects the other check boxes.

Click Administrators, and then click to select the Full Control check box. This automatically selects the other check boxes.

Click OK.

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options.

In the Virtual Memory section, note the Total paging file size for all drives value, and then click Change.

Click the drive that contains the paging file. The System and Administrator accounts now have Full Control permissions on this drive so that you can make changes.

In the Initial Size and Maximum Size boxes, type the size for the paging file, and then click Set.

Make sure that the Maximum Registry Size value is at least two times the size of the current registry size.

Click OK.

Quit any running programs, and then restart the computer.