PDA

View Full Version : Question for fellow aviators!

buduci kolega
15th Sep 2002, 07:35
OK,simple question:lets say everything is as planned,the weather is great,you're number 1 for landing,just lined up with the runway,...In that case,how would you exercise non automated grease landing?In other words,what is your reciepe for a grease job?

Cheers!

Petar :cool:

...Those were the days,when men were men,and pilots would fly rather then push the buttons...

OzExpat
15th Sep 2002, 08:38
Getting all the numbers right, then trusting to luck...

Nightrider
15th Sep 2002, 09:40
magic hands....:D

BlueEagle
15th Sep 2002, 09:54
Let a new F/O do it!:)

Genghis the Engineer
15th Sep 2002, 10:01
Exactly as per the POH, which sadly too few pilots bother to read (and re-read from time to tim). Won't necessarily be the same for every aircraft, but that's what manuals are for.

Incidentally, could I politely suggest that your thread title could have been a bit more precise.

G

mattpilot
15th Sep 2002, 13:33
skill?
:cool: :cool:

fireflybob
15th Sep 2002, 17:32
Firstly, I am never specifically aiming for a "grease landing" - much more important to be at the right speed and touchdown at the selected point, etc. but obviously the landing should not be "heavy".

A theory was once put forward that when the conditions were ideal we tend to use the left hand side of the brain (the logical, reasoning side) more than the right hand side (the creative artistic side).

When the conditions are far from ideal and you are working hard you are making more use of the right hand side brain and, perhaps, trusting more to instinct and feel and (surprise, surprise) end up with a smoother touchdown!!

I am no psychologist but this phenonema was covered in detail the Log several years ago.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Sep 2002, 22:37
A well known book on sports coaching called "The inner game of tennis" covers this issue rather well. Basically it advocates concentrating on one or two key issues (I find steady approach speed is a good one personally, followed by angle to the touchdown point) and much of the other stuff magically seems to fall into place.

Never been a QFI, but I used to do a lot of sports coaching (not tennis) where I applied the principle and seemed by and large to get the results I wanted. Trick was to know which core skills to concentrate on, and it wasn't always the same for each person.

G