PDA

View Full Version : I'm chuffed

Pilot Pete
26th Jan 2001, 21:07
Just heard this afternoon rhs 757 JMC out of Manchester starting a week on Monday! I cannot quite believe it! I can't even get drunk I'm on nights tonight!

As people are sure to ask, 940hrs TT 700 P1 multi piston with an AOC air charter company. C.V. sent in August last year, then every month with 2 calls per month. I targeted this airline only, as it's who I wanted, where I wanted, flying what I wanted. It DOES work. Push yourselves and you WILL make it.

Good luck to all, and if you're down the pub tonight have one for me as I can't!

PP

ps I hear there are some ATP Cadets starting at the same time.....any of you out there?

[This message has been edited by Pilot Pete (edited 26 January 2001).]

willbav8r
26th Jan 2001, 21:54
Awwwwright :)

Don't forget us wannabees (gonnabees)!

Congratulations.

Wil.

Need For Speed
26th Jan 2001, 22:03
yeah nice one pete! let all us wannabes in on the big secret. how long have you had you CPL for and is it possible do you think to get a job with an airline with JMC with minimal hours and a frozen ATPL? Im on the way up and Im damn gonna make it!
how do you mean ATP cadets? (you mean new graduates??)

Pilot Pete
26th Jan 2001, 22:25
Need For Speed

JMC ask a minimum of 700hrs TT.
By ATP Cadets I mean newly qualified ATP Academy Graduates....ie 250hrs Frozen ATPL. They are referred to by JMC as 'Cadets' once placed. Yes, in answer to your question, plenty of jet operators take low hours direct entry f/o's, but the problem you have is that there are so many 250hr frozen ATPL's chasing the few jobs offered for this experience level. Do not give up and DO apply to the ATP Academy when you qualify, it is a very good scheme with a number of airlines who accept their 'cadets'.....in my opinion it is probably your best chance of a jet job with 250hrs. Keep up the effort it's worth it.

PP

ps forgot to answer your question about my CPL. I.R. passed January 1999. No job, Instructor rating May 1999, first job (not instructing, but through a contact whilst on the course)June 1999.

Keep the hours moving, anything. If you don't and you're not lucky when you qualify it soon becomes increasingly difficult to get an interview.

PP

scroggs
26th Jan 2001, 23:12
Well done, Pete. Welcome to the ranks of the jet locks. Stick with us - there are lots here who'll want to know every nut and bolt of how you did it!

expedite_climb
26th Jan 2001, 23:58
Welcome to the fold buddy !!

Deeko01
27th Jan 2001, 01:18
Pete,

Well Done mate, I just know you are going to miss going to Clyde 1 for breakfast after the eye in the sky!!!

c u soon buddy!!

oh and no more LHR be advised our max approach speed will be 130kts!!!

Dizzy
27th Jan 2001, 02:53
First of all - very well done!

Secondly, without wishing to sound stupid - what's ATP Academy? A flying school?
I thought I'd heard every abbreviation going - obviously not!

Pilot Pete
27th Jan 2001, 03:07
Dizzy

pass on to Bob, Scoop, Muck and Pilchard that the ATP is (I think) the Airline Training Partnership - part of CTC (don't ask!) down at Dibden near Southampton. For more details do a search on either abbreviation!

fantum farter
27th Jan 2001, 04:17
Congratulations,
If you want some details of life at JMC on the 757 then e-mail me and I'll do my best to answer the 1001 queries you might have.

------------------
PFFFFFFSSSSST !!!

Loony_Pilot
27th Jan 2001, 10:34
Congratulations Pilot Pete,

You'll like studying at ATP, its bloody hard work there but its a friendly place and the instructors are excellent.

Have fun!!

serbsarooni
27th Jan 2001, 13:29
Pilot Pete

Congratulations on getting such a great job. How about telling us which AOC charter outfit you were working for to get all those hours. And how was it to work for.

Cheers and appreciate the help.

Serbs

[This message has been edited by serbsarooni (edited 27 January 2001).]

Pilot Pete
27th Jan 2001, 14:52
Edinburgh Air Charter Ltd., based at, well you can probably guess!

Excellent firm, excellent employer, probably the best piston twin taxi company in the UK for conditions with some exceptional veriety of flying; mainly up and down the UK into all the major destinations, including Heathrow and Gatwick(that gets the spotters out in their droves!) and accross into Europe as far as Germany, often Norway, Holland, Denmark etc, and of course the Glasgow 'Flying Eye' for Radio Clyde, another great bunch of people and great fun to do - VFR in the zone with plenty of steep turns and sick pax!

It may be worth a cv to them but with JAR Ops looming you will need 700hrs TT to fly single crew, I was lucky when I joined it wasn't an issue but most definately is now, so unless you are very close to that figure don't waste the stamp! Sorry to be the bearer of that bad news as I'm sure if you all had 700hrs you would probably be snapped up by a regional. This will pose a problem for other small taxi outfits as time moves on due to not being able to find that experience and then not being able to retain it.

Once again, thanks for all your encouragement, I'll be in Wannabees for some time yet as I don't really feel qualified to post anywhere except here and questions yet!

PP

ps Deeko01, my last 'EYE' on Friday so get some good weather ordered! I don't want to have to de-ice on my last trip...oh and see if you can get a couple of celebs for pax, I'm fed up with the radio station prize winners! Barf!

pps for those who are thinking of doing single crew it means just that.....take the enquiries in the middle of the night, quote for the job, give them an 'earliest airborne' time, drive to the airport, pick up some catering/newspapers on your way (if pax), get your own weather, do your own plogs, arrange your own handling, arrange fuel, check opening hours and availability, arrange handling at destination(s)and fuel if required, de-ice yourself (without a rig), A-check, meet and greet pax, load the a/c yourself and produce W&B schedule, fly it (that's the good bit, into EGLL at 9am approaching at 120kts, sorry all you ATC'ers down south!), act as stewardess (well not really!), deal with everything else then fill in all the paperwork when you get home (making sure you comply with duty hour limitations). Otherwise it's easy.......no wonder they want 700hrs min.

[This message has been edited by Pilot Pete (edited 27 January 2001).]

Baggy
29th Jan 2001, 15:20
Congratulations Pilot Pete!

TurbineOne
29th Jan 2001, 17:04
Congrats Pete,

see on the Course....................

kopbhoy2
29th Jan 2001, 17:15
Well done Pete...sit back & enjoy the ride :)

Tight Slot
30th Jan 2001, 01:08
Good stuff Pete, I'm a 757 SF/O at Manchester with JMC its a good company with plenty of really nice folks around. Where are you doing your sim? I'll try and forward some pointers for you.

PS - whats the dif. between a 757 and a Seneca? Answer - 7 extra cabin crew!

Well done! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Pilot Pete
30th Jan 2001, 01:38
Tight Slot

Good to hesr from you......not sure on the sim yet, nothing has been finalised, apparently I am being grouped with the ATP candidates so I guess the groundschool will be at Dibden and wherever they book for the sim. I hear they use Gecat, BA Cranebank and Brunei! Any pointers most welcome, if you like email me at [email protected]

My major question is where to live not knowing the area myself. I have put a post in questions for info and had a couple of responses, but any do's and don'ts would be appreciated.

Thanks again

PP

Mach 1
2nd Feb 2001, 20:49
PP

Brought a tear to my eye this morning as I sat in the traffic jam on Balmore Rd watching you fly west back to EGPF for the last time!

All the best with JMC, Brunei and your future career - Saltire 500 will miss you....

Mach 1

Teroc
2nd Feb 2001, 23:02
Well done Mate.
Another one up there.
Congrats

:)

Teroc

Damn Boxes !
3rd Feb 2001, 00:01
Believe me, your air taxi experience will be immensely useful for the conversion course. You will probably start missing the air taxi days given a couple of years; its a shame the regs make it so difficult to do it part time. Good on yer!

Pilot Pete
3rd Feb 2001, 13:12
Thanks All

Mach 1 do I know you, or are you one of Clyde's listeners? If so did you miss the evening 'Eye' which was my last? The reporter Duncan from Clyde had his usual banter with the DJ Craig Wallace after the traffic report which I could not hear being on APP frequency.....my wife taped it an played it back later and it went along the lines of

"Sad day at the Flying Eye.....it's Pilot Pete's last ever eye, he's off to fly a big holiday charter airplane, so if when you come back from your summer hols all bronzed and sleepy and the aircraft drops down to 1500', circles twice over the Kingston Bridge and heads off towards Bailleston, you'll know it's Pilot Pete up front!"

Hmmmmnnn, I'm gonna miss it.

PP

chewinggum
3rd Feb 2001, 14:37
well done pilot pete.Have heard you loads of times while pondering on with my studys.Hopefuly might even be able to fill your job with the Big eye !! :) Any advice would be brilliant.

Pilot Pete
3rd Feb 2001, 18:02
Would the Wannabee fraternity like to hear the full story of my training history/ work prior to training/ ups and downs/ views on training in one long post, all the way to the rhs with JMC (starting Monday!) If so I will sit down and spill all the beans, it may be inspirational, it may help people to see the light at the end of the tunnel, or it may bore you intensely!

Comments please.

PP

BAB2B
3rd Feb 2001, 19:22
Good on ya Pete, your wife's letter read out on Clyde 1 yesterday was very touching! Good luck wherever you end up, you'll miss the drizzle around the M8 now doubt...not!

Signed,
Frustrated motorer,
Glasgow

Speedbird252
4th Feb 2001, 03:50
Nice to hear someone "getting there" - well done Pilot Pete.

Inspiration is a necessity.........

See ya on the apron, and make sure you get a hiviz jacket!!!