PDA

View Full Version : Reduced climb thrust B757-200

Sonicflyer
14th Sep 2002, 00:47
Is is economical to use Climb2, Climb1 & Climb and save engine overall cost or use Climb only and save fuel for a small operator with only two B757s. Please advise.

sky9
14th Sep 2002, 15:43
Most UK RB21 operators use CLB 2 and CLB1 rather than full climb power. When they use one or the other depends on individual company preference.

SuperRanger
16th Sep 2002, 12:35
i'm not an expert but i guess if boeing says reduce thrust saves engine cost though burning a little more fuel then they must be right regardless if one operates a large fleet or a small one. one must wonder though what was the fuel price when they did the research? as for me personally, i'd go for saving engine. more for reliability reason than cost!

SR

mutt
16th Sep 2002, 21:19
if boeing says reduce thrust saves engine cost though burning a little more fuel then they must be right regardless

Methinks that you are putting a little bit too much in Mr Boeing...... but if he happens to answer that little question IN DETAIL, i would love to hear the answer..........

Mutt

None
20th Sep 2002, 02:24
Here is some guidance my company has provided concerning the P&W equipped 757:

757s do not normally use derated climbs unless airport specific procedures dictate otherwise. This procedure reduces total trip fuel burn, and also reduces the amount of time spent in the N2 speed range in which additional stress may be placed on the HPC.

I cannot imagine company would do anything against the recommendation of Boeing......however, there seem to be many surprises I learn about this industry regularly.

Brenoch
20th Sep 2002, 08:35
I think most replies so far goes for the RB211..

EPRman
20th Sep 2002, 16:01
My Company SOP's (E4's) are to use assumed temp. T/O where conditions permit with CLB2 selected. When rate of climb falls below 1500fpm select CLB1 then select CLB when rate of climb is once again below 1500fpm. However, the Boeing Flight Crew Training Manual suggests approximately 750fpm for the maximum benefits of a reduced climb.