PDA

View Full Version : Landing on the taxiway

jet_noseover
13th Sep 2002, 19:47
A Jet Airways Boeing 737 which flew from Mumbai to Goa on Friday with 108 passengers landed "by mistake'' in the naval emergency taxi track at Goa's Dabolim airport.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow.asp?art_Id=22091715

jshg
13th Sep 2002, 20:05
Without wishing to comment on this particular incident etc etc, Goa is an accident waiting to happen. The ATC service is not up to the volume of traffic, particularly in the winter. And when you swim out of the haze approaching 08 on its outrageously offset VOR approach with no markers or approach lights, the first thing you normally see is the taxiway which is parallel to the runway, and is identical in layout & dimensions. I always make a point of stating theatrically to the CVR that we will initially be approaching the taxiway until we can make out the runway.

sky9
14th Sep 2002, 10:57
Somebody once told me that there is an ILS at Goa, but its frequency is a State Secret; anyone know it?

purr
14th Sep 2002, 14:00
It seems the poor chap had the sun in his eyes .He was on PAPI rwy 08.Taxiway is to the right of the rwy.
The PAPI to the left of the rwy.

Nightrider
15th Sep 2002, 09:20
yes Sky9, there is, but not on 08 and not for civil use, thus not published. I flew it a couple of times in VMC and you don't want to do it because your GPWS will tell you well before reaching any height below 1000ft AGL to go somewhere else...

Georgeablelovehowindia
15th Sep 2002, 22:53
The usual time of arrival for the UK charter flights means that you end up trying to find 08 at Goa, looking into the early morning sun/rising murk. Part of the charm of being out in the 'Big Wide World' I suppose, instead of the Heathrow/Glasgow shuttle...

Baby 8-4
16th Sep 2002, 02:14
Quit whining. Just aim for the asphalt with the threshold crossing. :cool: