PDA

View Full Version : Avgas Prices

LowNSlow
11th Sep 2002, 13:19
Have a look here and check out the huge variation in prices :eek:

Inverness is the cheapest civilian at GBP0.66 / litre :)

Sywell is posted as being GBP 1.02 / litre. I won't be filling up there then ........ :(

Teeside comes in at GBP 1.45 / litre :eek:

How is there such a variation? Any charter/airtaxi operators in Teeside must be really cheesed off. :mad:

Chilli Monster
11th Sep 2002, 14:23
One thing I've always wondered about the extremely low prices (Inverness especially) - is the price quoted before Vat? Obviously the Channel Island prices are but any of the sub 80p a litre prices on the UK mainland have to be slightly suspect in this respect.

Anyone here from these places care to comment and adjust the prices if need be?

CM

Grim Reaper 14
11th Sep 2002, 15:02
I'd also be very pleased to hear from the Oil companies that supply these airfields, just to see evidence of whether they are charging different amounts, or whether it's the airfield 'milking it' (yeah, right! Cos that's really gonna happen!!).

If the variation in price was applied to the domestic petrol market there would be an enquiry, lead by the public. Diesel prices have only to rise a little and the nations truck drivers (rightly or wrongly is up to you, I'll cast no vote here) are up in arms and driving slowly through Central London (as if they have an option...!). There must be a logical reason....mustn't there?

I wonder whether the inflated price at Teesside is to dissuade
anyone from using the place in case they get 'turned over' by SB....;)

Keef
11th Sep 2002, 15:26
I think something's wrong there. Some of the prices LOOK to be ex-VAT but including fuel tax, and others inc VAT.

Jersey at 51.5p looks about right, and that's tax-free. Add 27.34p fuel tax, and you're at 79p or thereabouts, which is around the price charged by most fields I visit (+/- a few pence). Then add VAT and you're at 93p or thereabouts (ditto).

If the site said "inc VAT" or "Ex VAT" it would be a help!

Those North-of-Scotland fields do look to be a bargain, whatever! I see Aberdeen fuel is now "free"!

niknak
11th Sep 2002, 22:46
At our place we recently changed from the airport authority to Air BP supplying all the fuel.
The airport authority worked on the basis that we were never going to make a lot of money from G/A, and adjusted the landing fees and fuel prices to reflect the fact that 10 PA28s at £10 a landing is better than 0 PA28s at £15 per shot.
I'm pleased to say that Air BP adopt much the same policy, that said, avgas remains much the same price as petrol per litre, to reduce costs, they will shortly be installing a credit card self service pump on the G/A side of the airport.

Whatever you think about the cost of fuel, avgas at the majority of airports will be dispensed at hugely significantly reduced rate compared with jet fuel.
Storage costs, upkeep of bowsers, and staff costs for the supply of avgas are approximately 90% more for that of jet A1, almost exclusively due to the comparative volume of fuel supplied.

I can't see things improving at airports because of the overheads, and realistically things aren't going to get any better for the smaller airfields either.

LowNSlow
12th Sep 2002, 10:04
The site did ask for all taxes, VAT etc to be included in the prices but some people may not have noticed it when they entered their prices......