PDA

View Full Version : Any Exeter locals?

FlyingForFun
11th Sep 2002, 08:10
Is there anyone out there who flies in or out of Exeter regularly?

At the risk of ruining it for all of us, it looks like the weather for the weekend will be good, and my aircraft will be serviceable, so last night I was looking for somewhere to go to. I like the look of Exeter, because it involves navigating a reasonable distance over a part of the country I've never flown in before, it has full ATC, and it has a hard runway - all areas I could do with practicing. I just want to check how GA-friendly it is.

According to Pooleys, the landing fee is not cheap, but not extortionate, which is a fairly good sign. But high-vis jackets are required, which is a bad sign. Their web-site appears to be very commercially-oriented, which is to be expected.

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks!

FFF
-------------

Circuit Basher
11th Sep 2002, 10:44
[My last flight into Exeter was my solo XC, which was around 6 years ago, so info may be a bit dated!]
Nice regional airport that like Bournemouth, has pretensions of getting big, but which is not too busy. Used to fly in the back end of Chippies a lot out of Exeter when the RAF had an AEF based there; they moved out because of getting charged £70 for EVERY landing (which got kind of expensive for 20 min sorties!).

If you're after hard runways and cheaper landing fee, try Dunkeswell which is very close and has the conventional 'nice cafe' and friendly staff. Doesn't have full ATC - not sure if that's essential or not. Try not to confuse with Upottery (hint: check runway headings!) and also remember to start cranking the altimeter sub-scale early as there's a few turns required from QNH (although being a pro, I suppose you stick with QNH, but that's anothe thread ;) ;) ).

QDMQDMQDM
11th Sep 2002, 11:19
Exeter? Boring!

Come to Eggesford. The kettle's always on, we have fuel and there is no landing fee. You'll find more details on www.devonstrut.co.uk under airfields. Briefly: 600m grass, smooth surface, but very rolling, 29/11 on top of a hill, height 500ft, watch out for downdrafts on the approach at both ends if it's windy.

QDM

Keef
11th Sep 2002, 11:57
Exeter's friendly enough. Rufus is there - talk to him! Landing fee's a bit high for my taste (spoiled by French "sensible" ones).

If you want to "do" full ATC and hard surfaces, that's a good one to go to.

dublinpilot
11th Sep 2002, 13:07
Make sure you are landing and takeing off during their normal operating hours. Outside that it's £100stg per hour outside....we got held up due to bad weather.....

BlueRobin
11th Sep 2002, 14:49
Whereabouts is Rufus to be found? They seek him here, they seek him there... :)

Keef
11th Sep 2002, 15:38
Rufus? He's at Exeter (where else) except when he's down in Cornwall.

I e-mail him most days, but I don't know if he lurks in here. I'll tell him to pop in...

Aussie Andy
11th Sep 2002, 17:20
Circuit Basher - inetrested in the comments re- Dunkeswell as we're planning a stop there in a couple of weeks time (Wycombe -> Bembridge -> Dunkeswell -> return) - sounds like we picked the right place then!

Timmy O'Tool
11th Sep 2002, 19:23
Well I'm based at Exeter and I think the nicest thing about the place is ATC, they are the most helpful and friendliest I've found anywhere...!

True Professionals.

Circuit Basher
12th Sep 2002, 07:22
AA - Yep, Dunkeswell has the full range of standard military pattern runways. I used to live to the west of Dorchester and Dunkeswell was about 45 mins away by car (and 45 mins flying time from Bournemouth - ideal small X country). I like the place - another little warning is to beware of gliders at Upottery and sky-leaping lemmings over Dunkeswell ;) :D

I can't say I've tried Eggesford, so can't comment. There used to be a little farm strip with aspirations to become an airfield at Farway Common (virtually South of Dunkeswell, near the coast), but I believe they had planning problems on that one.

And I concur with what everyone has said about Exeter - good friendly service and helpful chappies in ATC :D (but expensive!!)

FlyingForFun
12th Sep 2002, 08:19
Thanks everyone.

Sounds like Exeter will be a good place to visit. I think I've even managed to find a pax who will pay the landing fee, so the high prices don't bother me ;)

Out of interest, does anyone know what the score is regarding high-vis jackets? I'll need to borrow one or two from somewhere if they insist on them being worn...

And thanks for all the other suggestions. I've heard the south-west is a beautiful place to fly, but never been down that way yet. If it's as nice as everyone says, I'm sure I'll be heading back there, so recommendations for other places to visit certainly won't be ignored!

Now, let's hope the weather holds.....

FFF
--------------

[Edit to remove reference to Roofus. Seems I may have been confusing Roofus with Rufus - d'oh!]

bcfc
12th Sep 2002, 08:48
FFF

Hi-viz jackets are required on the south side so make sure you have one (only one person needs to wear it).

Totally agree with Timmy re ATC, top bunch and always willing to help out when not too busy. As are the guys who man the pumps. You'll need to carry your license to get passed security.

Try and pop a bit further down the coast to Dartmouth and salcombe. This is my usual jaunt if I'm up for a quick half hour after work and I never tire of the view. Feeling adventurous, then route North over Dartmoor and Princetown and hit the North Devon coast which is far more dramatic.

Looks like its gonna be a cracking weekend :cool:

-bcfc

White Shadow
12th Sep 2002, 20:53
Lots of parachuting at Dunks, but no problem if you listen out on the airfield frequency to hear what the jump-plane is doing. He calls when he's starting the run-in for each drop, and he'll be pretty high if the weather's good.
No circuit dead-side to the W or NW of the active rw - that's the jumpers' teritory.
Lovely scenery down here. You could keep going down to Lands End and the Scillies.... Certainly try routing along the North coast on your way home., say up as far as the Severn Bridges. Bristol are usually happy to let you follow the M5 under 1500ft through their CTA.
Welcome, and enjoy!
WS

FlyingForFun
13th Sep 2002, 08:16
Ah, the best plans never seem to work out, do they?

It now looks like my 'plane is likely to be non-radio over the weekend, if it's serviceable at all. So that rules out Exeter. I don't fancy doing Dunkeswell non-radio, too much danger of hitting some poor bloke under a parachute :eek: I might take a look at Eggesford though.... Sounds like a nice place to visit :) QDM, what's there, apart from a runway and a kettle? Anywhere to get some lunch, for example?

Of course, I'm hoping that we can get the radio working again by then. But I'm not relying on it.

Thanks!

FFF
---------------

QDMQDMQDM
13th Sep 2002, 10:19
I might take a look at Eggesford though.... Sounds like a nice place to visit QDM, what's there, apart from a runway and a kettle? Anywhere to get some lunch, for example?

Non-radio is certainly no problem at Eggesford. Nowhere to get lunch, I'm afraid, but we have a well-equipped kitchen so you could always make some yourself!

Pop in. You'll always be welcome and there are plenty of people around at weekends, although many of the Austers will be heading off to the Rearsby fly-in. There's also a Devon Strut fly-in at Watchford Farm on Sunday if you're interested.

QDM