PDA

View Full Version : licence issue

Evo
11th Sep 2002, 08:09
Anybody here received a new PPL(A) from the CAA recently? How long did it take? I've heard a rumour, and I don't like it... :(

Getting impatient now :)

Kirstey
11th Sep 2002, 08:35
Belated congrats by the way!!

I have a relation works for the CAA so mine took a couple of days. However, they said 10 working days was the norm at the moment (this was 3 months back).

I wouldn't worry about it. The day your lisence arrives you'll find your too busy to go flying for weeks on end!!

FlyingForFun
11th Sep 2002, 09:03
Evo,

There's no rush to get your license. You can still fly between now and whenever it turns up. In fact, you should fly - this is the period where you build your confidence up to the level where you can take passengers safely!

Technically, when you fly, you're still a solo student. So no pax, as you know, and you need an instructor to sign you out. But now you can go wherever you want, do whatever you feel like doing, and just go and fly for the pure pleasure of it! What could be better? And that's enough that you'll be able to fly to the fly-in at Sywell in a few weeks, too! :D

:)

FFF
---------------

Evo
11th Sep 2002, 09:17
No hurry, but it would be nice to escape to the private hire rate :)

I'd just heard a friend-of-friend story that suggested six weeks at the moment :eek: Still hoping to make Sywell :)

sennadog
11th Sep 2002, 09:20
Mine took just under two weeks as I said in another thread. Do you not read all my posts?:p

PM me and I may be able to help.:)

Grim Reaper 14
11th Sep 2002, 09:31
10 working days....the longest 10 working days I've ever endured. It'll be over soon, don't worry, but you will be so disappointed by the colour of the thing.:( :D

Dykesar
11th Sep 2002, 20:52
Passed GFT Yesterday, Sent Application Today 911. Also Medical certificate dated 911 (scary or what???) However, desperate for wife to fly with me, after all she has paid half of the not incosiderable fees to date:(

englishal
11th Sep 2002, 22:39
Its bollock isn't it ! You pay 140something quid, you phone them up and after half an hour trawling through their phone menu system, to hear a message that licence issue is currently taking 10 working days, then 6 weeks later you licence turns up. When I got mine (2000) they said 10 days, but it was over 6 weeks.

Why can't an examiner give you a temp certificate valid for 4 months???

Cheers
EA:)

Irv
11th Sep 2002, 22:55
eeeeee. 6 weeks? some people don't know they're born....

:True bit. I had a renewal in the 80s - over 10 weeks! and they phoned up after 9 and a half to say the cost had gone up by £2 only 8 weeks after it had been sent in, and they couldn't issue it til the extra £2 was paid....
:End True bit.

(... and licences were made out of wood then.... if I remember correctly.)

True bit again:
Congratulations by the way!

Grim Reaper 14
12th Sep 2002, 07:48
Dykesar - Can I have your Missus when you're done with her, sounds like a fantastic type!;)

taglo
13th Sep 2002, 07:39
Recieved my licence in the post this morning (Fri 13th) with birth cert, log book etc....sent it all in on Thurs 5th Sept.

So, 5 working days at most, and that's assuming next day delivery. VERY IMPRESSIVE! Well done CAA.

:) :) :D

Evo
13th Sep 2002, 07:41
Bloomin' 'eck, I sent mine in earlier than that, and .... nuffink yet :(

Who has control?
13th Sep 2002, 08:29
Evo,
I seem to remember that my license took an age to arrive and it turned out that the CAA were checking some aspect of my training with the Club.

You'll get it in time for Sywell though!

BEagle
13th Sep 2002, 09:19
The delay is often due to the Belgrano clerks who sift through the licence paperwork having to clarify things with the Club. So I view it as an integral part of the PPL Skill Test for the Examiner to do a thorough check of the successful applicant's paperwork to make sure that there won't be any delays. Was the Qual X-C form submitted? Was it countersigned by the HoT (CFI)? Has the FRTOL form been completed correctly? Is the applicant's log book up to date.... Medical certificate... Passport....??

Having checked that all is OK, the Examiner should also, in my view, remind the applicant that he/she/it/don't know/don't care may not fly as Commander with passengers until the PPL has arrived and been signed. The Examiner should remind the successful applicant about how to maintain the validity of the licence.

Agree about the baby-poo brown colour though!

sennadog
13th Sep 2002, 10:33
Evo. Give them a ring and chase them. I had a brilliant service from them and although I live near to Gatwick which meant I could drop it off and collect it I would still have got it back within two weeks.

To save the vagaries of the post why don't you fly up to Redhill when it's ready and I'll drive you down to the Belgrano - it's only 10 minutes from the airfield. Alternatively, if you want and they agree, I can pick it up for you and use it as an excuse for another Goodwood trip.:D

QDMQDMQDM
13th Sep 2002, 11:31
My revalidation took 5 weeks to come back in May / June. It takes them hours to answer the phone.

QDM

taglo
13th Sep 2002, 19:11
Good points from BEagle about checking through EVERYTHING twice before sending it all off to the CAA.
My examiner and I did so and the extra ten minutes it took seem to have paid paid off.

Holdposition
13th Sep 2002, 19:55
As has been said before, "Same day" issue is possible if you know how to work the system.

carb
14th Sep 2002, 21:30
I sent off my logbook for an IMC rating 3 weeks ago, just got it today. Bit slow, but not too bad.

But! The postman had TWO packages for me this morning. I was most curious as to what I would pull out of the second. Some sort of free safety guidelines book? A free CAA logbook because they didn't like my FAA logbook perhaps? Nope... the muppets have sent me some poor person's brand new PPL... license and logbook.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with it -- mail it back to CAA, mail it direct to the rightful recipient at the address as printed in her license, or shall I be really nasty and just keep it safe until someone asks for it :confused:

Pilot16
15th Sep 2002, 01:07
Hi,

just wondering, im 16 and working awfully hard for my PPL especially now that college has started. My 17th birthday is in late November and, if i really try hard enough (which i know i will) i should complete all the training and have passed the remaining exams before my 17th birthday, now it wud be nice if the CAA could issue my license on my birthday which falls on a Friday :) lets hope everything goes right.

LowNSlow
15th Sep 2002, 03:58
carb go on, be a gentleman and mail the lady her licence etc (special delivery of course) cos it'll be quicker for her than returning it to the Belgrano and she must be waiting with bated breath. I'd drop the CAA a note as well though informing them of their cockup. :D :D

Good luck pilot16 let us know if your plan works :)

Evo I'll bet you'll be standing behind your mailbox waiting for the postie tomorrow :cool:

Evo
15th Sep 2002, 06:00
:)

Well, they sent me an invoice yesterday ... I guess that's progress. :rolleyes: :)

sennadog - good plan, but my chances of escaping work this week are rather low. Might well give it a go if they still haven't delivered by next weekend :)

sennadog
15th Sep 2002, 15:45
If they've sent you an invoice then it's on it's way but I would chase them tomorrow if I were you.

Evo
15th Sep 2002, 16:00
Wilco, but they seem to work even fewer hours than my solicitor... :)

Evo
16th Sep 2002, 16:37
It's here - 10 working days or so, which I guess isn't bad. My god it's a horrible colour, but it's a PPL(A) and it's mine... :) :) :)

sennadog
16th Sep 2002, 16:59
B*gga! I needed someone to navigate up to Sywell.:(

Evo
16th Sep 2002, 18:17
Thought you were taking your better half? If you still need someone to confuse ATC and get us lost, I'm more than willing :)

Who has control?
17th Sep 2002, 09:16
Senna, you can follow us!

Evo, - well done - now you have to go off & make sure that it works.

Look forward to seeing you both on the 5th.