PDA

View Full Version : Stearmen

formationfoto
7th Sep 2002, 20:38
Brief glowing report on the Stearman bash at Tibbenham (Norfolk) today. Around 15 Stearman aircraft (max 12 at any time) turned up for a great day out organised by a guy who rebuilds these great Amerian trainers at a farm strip just a few hunder yards from the main Tibbenham airfield (Thanks Paul).

A great flowing three ship formation led by Gerry Honey from Old Buckenham (with whom you can fly in a Stearman if you want).

Also short display from Maurice Hammond in his P51 and the noisy arrival and departure of an AN2.

Managed to swap some time in the Tiger Moth for half an hour of lazy aeros in the Stearman and I am hooked. Love the Tiger but the Stearman just goes round the loop with more authority and grunt.

Only downside for me was a guy who came up to me and forcefully told me that he didn't like my flying and how he was going to ensure that I never flew again if I repeated the incident he didn't like.

I'm honest enough to admit that he had a point and I've learnt something from the exchange. Always try to be helpful and considerate to others and in this case I got it wrong. Unfortunately my apologies (many) were not enough to diminish the agressive reaction i caused.

If the complainant happens to be reading this post let me again say that I accept I got it wrong, that I normally try to do better, and your input has caused me to think long and hard about similar situations in the future. If I can do anything to try and prove to you that your current impression of me is not 100% correct please reply and I will do what I can.

For others on this post I have deliberately not identified the individual nor the incident and nor will I be drawn on this but I am hoping that he reads this and allows me to talk to him in a cooled down state.

stiknruda
8th Sep 2002, 14:47
Was unaware of the Stearman day (8 miles away) but took another friend of Mrs Stik flying in the S2A and saw two Stearmen whilst safely and legally aerobatting about 12 miles s e of Tib.

Good luck, FF!

Saw you in the Tiger yesterday but I was ploughing behind the house.

Stik

James Gilbert
9th Sep 2002, 13:34
"...nor will I be drawn on this..."

Oh go on, Ian, what did you do and who complained? We're all dying to know.

James Gilbert

LowNSlow
9th Sep 2002, 14:15
Sounds like most of it was a good day ff :D.

Was the pale blue Stearman (No. 27) formerly from Swanton Morley there? I had a checkout in that a few moons ago, magic, absolutely magic.

PS Is it Stearmen aor Stearmans :D :D :D

formationfoto
9th Sep 2002, 20:09
LnS yes 27 was there, I think that is the Martin Shaw machine now kept at Old Buckenham. There is now a restoration operation at Priory Farm following the closure of the Swanton operation. Black Barn Aviation has so far rebuilt four.

James - thanks for the offer but I can resist!. Sadly can't add to your stock of stories with this. Hope you are well. Had a meeting with Paul Slight today and your name came up in conversation - he reminded me that he was involved in 'the deal'.