PDA

View Full Version : North Weald

Crosswind Limits
7th Sep 2002, 13:35
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if there is anything worth seeing at North Weald airfied other than the resident Yaks? What I'm really interested in seeing is classic warbirds like the T6 or Mustang.

I turned up today only to find that they were having the biggest open market in the UK and there was also a fly-in and visitors had to pay £10 for entry!

Cheers.

Final 3 Greens
8th Sep 2002, 06:06
Crosswind

You picked a bad day! The best day to visit NW is a Sunday when there is no market (an no queues.)

There often is a P51 on the field, but usually well hangared.

You'll probably see a TBM3R (Avenger) which is usually out and about and of course a number of JPs and some L29/39.

However, NW isn't a museum - its a working airfield so a/c come an go all the time.

distaff_beancounter
8th Sep 2002, 08:56
Crosswind Limits If you want to be sure of seeing old war birds, the best place to go is Duxford Airfield near Cambridge. You can either fly-in or drive-in.

Full details are on the website:- Imperial War Museum - Duxford (http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/index/htm)

BlueRobin
9th Sep 2002, 10:40
There's the odd Dak and Catalina too.

BBDO
9th Sep 2002, 11:13
.....and obviously there is the old warbird that is THE MIGHTY BULLDOG!!!
I'll get my coat......

Southern Cross
9th Sep 2002, 11:31
There are 3 hangared Harvards, but you will have to ask to see them. 2 Yak 11's, likewise ask permission, although they may be on the flight line anyway. A few Stearman(s), Staggerwing, etc etc.

Plus all the jets, L39 included.