PDA

View Full Version : BA looking at A380?

Tonic Please
7th Sep 2002, 08:24
Dad works at LHR with a catering company, and has heard through the grapevine that the stands on T5 are planned to be very big indeed, and also that BA are looking at buying " 4 " A380's. Could anyone clarify this or add to it?

Smooth skies :)

A300Man
7th Sep 2002, 11:07
The stands at T5 will be very big, to accommodate those airlines who shall be flying the A380 in to London Heathrow - namely Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines, Qatar, Emirates........but I would be totally surprised if BA would revert their current down sizing philosophy and go for the A380. They are currently disposing of 747-400's and 777's which have FEWER seats that the A380.

However, utilising larger aircraft on some routes (i.e. the A380) would mean that BA could reduce frequencies on certain flights by combining operations (i.e. 1 x A380 instead of 2 x 767). This would free-up landing and take off slots at Heathrow which BA could then use to develop other under-served routes, or indeed share amongst its oneworld or other partners.

Still.......I would be surprised.

tomahawk1673
7th Sep 2002, 18:18
agree with the above

ETOPS
8th Sep 2002, 19:39
I will bet that in a few years time the air transport industry will begin to recover and that BA will be forced to operate A380's.
Interestingly the Qantas order appears to be a little "large" for their requirements - I wonder if "our" order is hidden in there.....

expedite_climb
8th Sep 2002, 21:58
Hmmm, but i had heard elsewhere that the caterers seem to have the gossip first !!

Tonic Please
8th Sep 2002, 22:02
Expedite Climb...I presume you read my dad is the caterer. What maked you think that caterers hear everything first? To be honest, i'd have thought it would be the airline crews. Maybe anyone in contact with a civil engineer on the team could clarify what exactly will be happeneing. Also to add to this, his friend was telling me that it will be dominated by BA and heard that from a crew member who happened to be on the plane at the time. "Shall be all BA @ T5 will be" he said. :rolleyes:

Smooth skies

A300Man
8th Sep 2002, 22:18
Terminal 5 will absolutely NOT be all Britsh Airways.

PAXboy
8th Sep 2002, 22:28
BA will be looking very carefully at the A380 - irrespective of whether they choose to buy the first version of it.

Since it will be operated by their competition, they will want to know all about it and the simple way is to pop over to France. The folks that are trying to sell it will be only too delighted to tell an existing Airbus customer about their new product.

expedite_climb
9th Sep 2002, 10:32
Tonic Please

When I wrote 'caterers' I meant the companies. No offence itended if so caused. As for flight crews knowing first, as one I can assure that is not true !!

Tonic Please
9th Sep 2002, 16:44
Expedite Climb. You misunderstood my internation. I was not being rudely directive towards you... Just a slight mis-interpretation of what I was trying to say. Easily done by all :D

Smooth skies:cool:

Dan Winterland
9th Sep 2002, 17:04
It's the crew bus drivers that seem to be the best informed from my experience!