PDA

View Full Version : Flying Clubs - Shropshire?

Whipping Boy's SATCO
5th Sep 2002, 19:08
I may be moving house soon and am wondering which club/airfield to use. Probably living very near Sleap but Halfpenny Green not too far away.

PPL (152 & PA28-161) looking for reasonable hire rates including days/weekends-away etc; suggestions?

28thJuly2001
5th Sep 2002, 19:23
Halfpenny Green????
Do you mean Wolverhampton International Airport.
"tara for a bit".
Walt,,

Whipping Boy's SATCO
5th Sep 2002, 19:44
Well, best they change their URL!!:) :)

Either way, I mean that airfield near Bridgenorth.

Bottle Fatigue
5th Sep 2002, 19:45
WBS,

I think Sleap is probably your best choice for hire as the clubs at Halfpenny Green are suffering somewhat from the charges they have to pay for using the airfield.

The management are a bit "unsympathetic" shall we say?

Bottle.

Whirlybird
5th Sep 2002, 20:58
Sleap is very reasonable - around £70/hr for C152. Nice friendly place too. But it can be difficult to hire for longer than a couple of hours, unless that's changed - I haven't been there for several months.

FFly
5th Sep 2002, 22:14
Go to Sleap, Cheaper friendlier, and inside the Shawbury MATZ, which guessing from your profile would be much closer than Halfpenny Green. (Now pretentiously renamed Wolverhampton Business Airport allegedly to match the personalised car registration plate of the owner who also owns West Bromwich Albion FC!)

Sleap has 2 PA 28's at £85 per hour wet including VAT, a Cessna 172 at £90 per hour and several cessna 152's at £70 per hour. Landing fees at Wolverhampton were £15 last time I went there. I don't know anyone whose been there for some time because of the costs which seem to be aimed at keeping GA and PPL's out of WBA.

You can hire a plane at Sleap for up to three hours, or for day/weekend by prior agreement with the CFI.

poetpilot
6th Sep 2002, 11:16
Sleap (IMHO) much better than Wolverhampton, but worth checking Welshpool for a C172 reputedly available for PPL hire.

May also be worth checking Chester Hawarden even if it is a bit of a way to drive.

Tatenhill is roughly a 1 hr 20 min drive from Telford area (I know - I did it 2 nights back when I ferried my C172 there for avionics upgrade).

Of all of these, I'd put Wolverhampton at bottom of the list.

If you want to get into gliding, there's the Long Mynd of course!

Whirlybird
6th Sep 2002, 14:12
Yes, Welshpool has a C172 available for hire; it's either £80 or £85/hr; can't remember. There might be a C152 as well. It's a nice friendly place, though not that much in the way of facilities just now.

Rod1
6th Sep 2002, 21:37
Would not recommend WBA. They appear to have lost there way as far as GA is concerned. Any of the others are good.

I am based at Tatenhill and fly around the area quite a bit. Stopped visiting WBA on cost grounds, but Tat has picked up a lot of pilots from them too.

Rod