PDA

View Full Version : Brace? or Relax?

OBK!
5th Sep 2002, 17:18
Watching the recent documentaries of last years 9/11 event is very upsetting. But I am just about to begin my ATPL ground exams (well, end of September).

Basically the question hangs in my mind, should I consider the chance that something may happen again (what's to stop someone going into an airport, strapped with explosives?). Or should I stay focused and determined?

Ultimatley, I am a bit..paranoid? :( :(

Landing_24R
5th Sep 2002, 17:45
If you want to pass, you should remain focused and determined- only you can decide if you want to take up commercial flying as a career, but it's an awful lot of money to spend and an awful lot of hard work to put in, just to decide at the end of it that you can't face the risk of another 9/11 happening, so decide now, stand by your choice and make sure you are 100% commited before you take them. That's my advice anyway, for what it's worth.

Cheers, and good luck,
Landing_24R

Capt Claret
6th Sep 2002, 00:01
OBK!,

In close to 100 years of commercial aviation, Sept 11 was the first incident of its type. Whilst there are no guarantees, I'd say it was the last as my belief is that passengers will not sit by and allow terrorists to gain the upper hand.

No matter what walk of life you choose there will be some dangers. If in an office you might tough a faulty electric cable and electrocute yourself. If out doors you might be struck by lightning.

So to get to the point, flying is in my view a safe occupation. It is also very satisfying.

Go for it.

John (Gary) Cooper
6th Sep 2002, 18:53
I've been bitten once and several near misses, 42 years ago in the RAF, when I came out in 1969 that was the last time I flew, I have no intention EVER to take to the skies again, if like me you saw that reconstruction of Flight 93 a couple of nights ago that probably did more harm to the Aviation Industry than any other single faction, click on to <www> above

VS-075
6th Sep 2002, 22:42
OBK i think you should relax , athough i agree with John (Gary) Cooper about the doc about flight 93 sept 11 2001 wished i had not watched it scared the s**t out of me, I also agree with Capt Claret I don't think passengers will let it happen again and thats what i am just a pax who loves flying we need people like you to keep us up their good luck. Have a great career.