PDA

View Full Version : National fire strike-affect on aviation?

mcdonnellluke
5th Sep 2002, 15:40
Hello
How would the theatened national fire service strike affect airports with regard to fire cover, especially major airports such as LHR, LGW, STN, MAN etc., I have already heared that the London Underground and the Channel Tunnel could be affected because of the lack of adequate fire cover-surely the airport fire service needs adequate backup. Also, what would happen if a major incident invloving an aircraft occured (God forbid of course) during the national fire strike (that could go for rail disasters and others of course

canberra
5th Sep 2002, 18:05
in the last national strike there was no effect on aviation. should there be a national strike the military will not cover things like cats up trees(unlike the last) but will provide back up for airports. incidentally everyone in the navy is breathing apparatus trained and the raf has a trade of firefighter so the military cover will be adequate in my opinion.

chiglet
5th Sep 2002, 18:14
canberra
In the words of the "Senior Service"...Rollocks!
The last [thank Heaven] and only strike by the "Civvie" firemen [sexist, I know] was a problem.
At Manch, [can't speak for "other" Major Airports" an "Emergency" requires the "Local" brigades to attend. Mainly [I believe] for "manpower".
At the last strike, we had a "Full Emegency, [a failed engine on a VC9 Vanguard] 25 mins after he [safely] landed, a "Green Goddess" turned up:rolleyes:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

bjcc
7th Sep 2002, 20:44
I worked at Heathrow for 12 odd years, and during that time, I had to attend hundreds of full emergencies and aircraft ground incidents. One think that we always found humerous was at the moment the incident was downgraded to local standby or cancelled alltogether, the LA fire service would come roaringing into the RV point. I suppose there were 2 reasons for that, either they were busy elsewhere, or they got the call late....in anyevent they weren't there before an incident blew up into anything serious. I doubt the mil would be any better or worse, or any less use if needed.

sharpshot
7th Sep 2002, 22:08
It's a damn good question. Perhaps the CAA would like to issue a Notal!
Whilst I do not think a major airport's licence depends on the Local Authority, it is recognised that the Airport F.S. is the immediate response and is supported by the local service.
I presume airport's will have to induct the military in advance of any strike. They need to appreciate how to find RVP's and understand reporting methods and lines of communication.
Serious incidents are fortunately few & far between, however, Full Emergencies are frequent and Green Goddesses are long in the tooth to say the least!

Life could be interesting:confused: