PDA

View Full Version : academic qualifications

RTW
5th Sep 2002, 12:33
I am a Flight Instructor with a frozen ATPL inc 400 hrs SEPL & 150 MEPL. However apart from 7 GCSE obtained nearly 9 years ago I have no further academic qualifications. Despite this I found the ATPL examinations fairly easy and did not struggle with any flight training.

How important do Airline employers think Further education is towards direct entry pilots?. Is my CV likely to be put in the bin?

I have not sent any CVs to Airlines as yet and am enjoying life as an instructor(despite the money).

I am starting to feel the world has gone qualification mad. What ever happend to ability to do a job well?

I would appreciate an honest answer from anyone in a position to tell me. Not from someone with lots of A levels and a degree with no experience and strong opinions.

Thanks

Captain Chaos 747
5th Sep 2002, 17:56
Well I have 4 GCSE's with poor grades and I work for a regional turbo prop airline. They way I see it is that if you have the licence and rating then thats all they need, academic qualifications only seem to be important to the airlines when it comes to sponsoring you from start to finish.

tailscrape
5th Sep 2002, 18:10
4 GCSE's I think, with poor grades.

A former ATP Academy Cadet (it made no difference to them), and now working for a large UK charter flying a Boeing 757 as an FO.

I don't think it matters a jot, as long as you have real reasons for flunking them........

low n' slow
6th Sep 2002, 10:42
I dont think that further education matters. I mean, how does a degree in economics make you a better pilot? If you think you need some further education, try something that makes you a better pilot. Try a seminar in human performance and limitations or something like that. That's my opinion, as long as the education contributes to making you a better pilot.

best regards/lns

oh, by the way, I may have a strong opinion, but I haven't got a degree and no A-levels...:D

A Very Civil Pilot
6th Sep 2002, 17:01
The license is all that really matters, at the moment anyway. The sponsorship selection seem to ask for a 2.2 degree or equivalant, but that's when they'll be spending the money on you.

I don't have a degree at the moment, but am studying with the Open University during all the night stops I get. Nothing to do with aviation, though!!

RTW
6th Sep 2002, 17:18
Thanks all for the advice. Good to know I am not the only pilot without A levels and a degree.

I had the choice, Further education at 17 meaning no money for self financed training and a very slim chance of sponsorship at the end. Or working hard in flight ops with flying school for a couple of years using every last penny for modular training. Overall result instead of leaving uni with a degree at 24 and no money I have CPL/IR and am passing my Knowledge of flying to others. I am pleased to say I have no regrets, just debts.....

Just hope I can follow in your footsteps....

Genghis the Engineer
6th Sep 2002, 22:05
I work, at-least partly, in test flying. Amongst the best test pilots I've ever known are a couple of people who left school at 16 with a couple of O'Levels, and another with a degree in aero-eng.

If you have qualifications, you can elect not to use them - the reverse isn't true. But in my experience, in most fields, ability will rise to the top regardless.

But the man or woman with more qualifications may find it easier to get there.

G