View Full Version : Visual reference

Den2020
8th May 2024, 15:34
Hello everybody,
I have a special question which might appear stupid but as someone who has studied law before starting a flying career the following regulation is not sufficient for me to continue the approach at the minimum ... in my opinion there should be at least 2 or 3 more sentences for clarification:

Visual reference for CAT I approach (as an example, actually all other approaches with their special requirements could be named as well):A pilot may not continue an approach below the Category I decision height ... unless at least one of the following visual references for the intended runway is distinctly visible and identifiable to the pilot:

(i) Elements of the approach light system;

(ii) The threshold;

(iii) The threshold markings;

(iv) The threshold lights;

(v) The threshold identification lights;

(vi) The visual glide slope indicator;

(vii) The touchdown zone or touchdown zone markings;

(viii) The touchdown zone lights; or

(ix) Runway edge lights.

So my question is what happens next if I can see only one of those visual references? Let's assume elements of the approach lights are visible but not the runway. How far can a pilot continue below minimum legally without seeing the runway clearly? Are there additional rules or regulations?

And guys, to make it clear, in such a case I would treat such visual reference only as additional bonus time of max 2 - 3 seconds (30 - 50 ft) before initiating a G/A in case I cannot establish visual contact with the runway.

Thanks in advance!

EXDAC
8th May 2024, 15:48
If the one visual reference you have is lost before acquiring another then you go missed. You will overfly the approach lights and they will become invisible. You must have another of the listed visual references to continue. There is no "bonus time".

Edit to add - 14 CFR 91.175 also includes this -

"(i) The approach light system, except that the pilot may not descend below 100 feet above the touchdown zone elevation using the approach lights as a reference unless the red terminating bars or the red side row bars are also distinctly visible and identifiable."