PDA

View Full Version : What is difference between ‘orbit and Holding’ ?

atcatc3
29th Apr 2024, 09:44
Difference between ‘orbit and Holding’

Jim59
30th Apr 2024, 09:36
As a simple pilot, if asked to orbit (left or right) I fly a 360 degree circle drifting with the wind. A hold is a standard pattern flown by reference to a specific point with the inbound leg track defined etc. and due allowance for wind to remain within the holding pattern.

Request Orbit
30th Apr 2024, 10:00
As Jim says, an orbit would generally be a 360 degree continuous turn to rollout either doing whatever you were doing before or onto a specific track/heading. A hold would usually be a pre-published procedure at a given point. An ad-hoc hold can be done, and in giving it I’d specify: at what point (usually present position, but you could use a waypoint etc), inbound heading, turn direction and length of legs.

I think a hold having specific upwind and downwind legs is probably a big differentiator from an orbit, along with always returning to a fixed point.

blind pew
30th Apr 2024, 11:55
A published hold has a designated in bound track with a specific length and a designated turn direction with a reference time (6 mins?). It is flown at a specific altitude authorised by ATC.
An orbit is as suggested just going around in circles normally over a specific point eg at the end of the downwind point until the approach / runway is clear.