PDA

View Full Version : Agreed Levels

pax anglia
4th Sep 2002, 19:39
I would be interested to know why agreed levels are not shown as part of the published SIDs. Looking at various STARs there is a boxed paragraph with information as to expected descent clearance eg:.......FL150 by BNN 25d. It is emphasised that actual descent clearance will be as directed by ATC. Surely it would assist crews if they were informed what climb clearance was likely.
A warning not to climb above the final SID level until cleared is already included. I have noted one exception to the rule, that of Compton SIDs ex Luton which gives the expected requirement to cross CPT 11d at FL70 or above etc.
Any thoughts, Ladies and Gentlemen please?

zkdli
5th Sep 2002, 06:30
with few exceptions, agreed levels for aircraft climbing, are not dependent on a distance. the luton departure you mentioned is one and another is the compton departure from stansted. This means controllers have the tactical flexibility to vector and use intermediate levels and not have the additional stress of trying to achieve a level by restriction that could be outside the performance envelope of the aircraft being controlled. Remember these levels have to be achieved by everything from shuttles to atrs to a340's ! :)

pax anglia
5th Sep 2002, 19:00
Ah, now why didn't I think of that? I suppose Gravity is a great leveller! Pun intended, but none the better for that.
Thanks for your response zkdli. (Puzzled by the "callsign")

PA