PDA

View Full Version : Weird Edelweiss 340 TO...

JanetFlight
7th Apr 2024, 03:59
https://streamable.com/a8p5hl

Whats happened here...some windshear perhaps..??

My apologies for the "neck pain" view...

pattern_is_full
7th Apr 2024, 04:29
Hmmm - and I thought "settling with power" only happened with rotorcraft.

I seem to see a slight decrease in pitch attitude just before the settling, which suggests to me either a momentary lapse in pilot awareness, or a stick-shaker or stall warning that led the pilot(s) to reduce back-pressure a bit.

Although with Airbus, it could have been a control-law intervention as well. "Don't DO that! (overrotate)." Or, of course, a slight error in Weight/VR/Trim calculation.

Can't see the elevators move significantly, however, at that moment.

In any event, on the plus side, they managed to avoid a tail strike (twice - in one takeoff).

FlightDetent
7th Apr 2024, 06:06
That is very interesting, on an airplane that size.

pattern_is_full, Are you referring to some pitch limiter at rotation, with the authority to sink? I assumed those were only fitted to JD's....

FlexibleResponse
7th Apr 2024, 06:13
Looks like a video game simulation to me.

andrasz
7th Apr 2024, 06:40
Looking at the video it seems that the MLG actually touches ground for a moment. Elsewhere a tailwind gust was suggested, but looking at the windsock and chimney smoke in the distance, there appears to be no significant wind. Engine sound pretty normal for full thrust setting, rotation very sluggish, and the nose drops immediately after elevators return to neutral. I'd suspect W/B issues here (or mistrim) rather than any incorrect bug settings. Not the first time a container or two that was supposed to be in the rear hold ended up front...

Here is the video without neck pain (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNmwiB1oiQ&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Favherald.com%2F&source_ve_path=MTc4NDI0)

pattern_is_full
7th Apr 2024, 08:16
pattern_is_full, Are you referring to some pitch limiter at rotation, with the authority to sink? I assumed those were only fitted to JD's....

I'm not sure of your terminology - I was thinking of regular Airbus alpha (angle of attack) protection. No matter how hard/far the pilot pulls on the joystick, the computer will not allow too high an AoA. (Same thing that limited how much Sully could flare, touching down on the Hudson.)

But I don't know when that is active or inhibited at what altitude and in what phase(s) of flight. Never actually flown Airbus-style.

Uplinker
7th Apr 2024, 08:16
It looks to me that PF, having pitched up at rotation, released the side-stick to neutral before Normal Law had blended in. So the aircraft started returning to level pitch, but then PF realised and re-applied pitch up.

There are about three or four points during the take-off and initial climb where the pitch goes up then down again. Aircraft seems to be very heavy. Possibly an F/O new to large very heavy Airbus' and not used to the slow rotation and unstick. Or a side-stick problem, stuck in Direct Law, or CG badly wrong ?

magyar_flyer
7th Apr 2024, 08:33
Seems pretty normal for a 340​​​ near/at or possibly above MTW.
More seriously will this be considered as an incident warranting investing ?

treadigraph
7th Apr 2024, 08:34
Crew reported tailwind at rotation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o59fyCarow

magyar_flyer
7th Apr 2024, 11:36
So I guess FDR will have a clear reporting of it ?

gearlever
7th Apr 2024, 12:29
Go And Touch :)

Move along, there is nothing to see here.

FlexibleResponse
8th Apr 2024, 06:21
Airbus Windshear Escape Actions:

In the old days we were taught that when the Airbus types encountered windshear after V1, it was announced by voice alert.
The immediate actions were to select TOGA thrust and follow the SRS pitch command orders using full backstick if necessary.
In this particular case it appears that the backstick input went to zero (instead of full up) allowing a downward velocity vector and ground contact.

Maybe the up to date procedures have changed?

3Greens
8th Apr 2024, 07:33

In the old days we were taught that when the Airbus types encountered windshear after V1, it was announced by voice alert.
The immediate actions were to select TOGA thrust and follow the SRS pitch command orders using full backstick if necessary.
In this particular case it appears that the backstick input went to zero (instead of full up) allowing a downward velocity vector and ground contact.

no, they’ve not changed, You seem to be mixing up GPWS and Windshear up a little bit though.… they may well have followed the SRS with TOGA selected but SRS is just that, a speed reference system, full back stick is for a GPWS pull up and unlikely to be needed in a windshear event. In fact I’d suggest that a low speed the SRS would indeed command a pitch down or reduced pitch to recover loss of airspeed.
given the stage of flight though the reactive windshear call-outs would likely have been inhibited.(50feet or 3s after lift off)

BraceBrace
8th Apr 2024, 07:44
Crossing runway and sudden tailwind. Was there a short takeoff on the crossing runway? Then they migh have encountered the wake from the takeoff (looks similar to the RAM 737 in Frankfurt with overflying landing traffic)

FlexibleResponse
8th Apr 2024, 07:58
Originally Posted by 3Greens
given the stage of flight though the reactive windshear call-outs would likely have been inhibited.(50feet or 3s after lift off)

Can you please check if the reactive windshear warning is inhibited?
Isn't the takeoff roll, rotation and initial climb exactly the time when a crew would want to be warned of an actual windshear?
And in this case the crew reported that they had windshear at rotation.

3Greens
8th Apr 2024, 08:10
Can you please check if the reactive windshear warning is inhibited?
Isn't the takeoff roll, rotation and initial climb exactly the time when a crew would want to be warned of an actual windshear?
And in this case the crew reported that they had windshear at rotation.

You don’t have to get an auto call out and reactive windshear detection to know you’re in in Windshear and to do something about it. The SRS does the same thing regardless of reactive windshear detection or not. It’s just commanding a speed.
On Airbus, windshear warnings are inhibited on the take off roll.

Preppy
8th Apr 2024, 22:24
On Airbus, windshear warnings are inhibited on the take off roll. Airbus FCTM: Predictive windshear (aural warning) is inhibited at speeds greater than 100kt

Porto Pete
9th Apr 2024, 17:25
I can't help but think this might be an underload performance calculation error like Emirates in Melbourne. Hopefully if that's the case there will be a report so we can all learn something.

CVividasku
9th Apr 2024, 18:39

Full back stick close to ground with an underpowered, tailstrike-limited aircraft.
Very good idea surely.