PDA

View Full Version : Charing X to London Airport?

distaff_beancounter
4th Sep 2002, 18:07
Anyone else noticed just how many airfields are changing their names to London Xxxxxxxx Airport?

Also, is there any limit as to how far they can be from the centre of London (that is traditionally Charing Cross), & still claim to be a London Airport?

The ones that I know about, with distances in nm, direct from Charing Cross, include:-

Biggin Hill..........11 nm
Southend..........31
Lydd/Ashford.....51
Manston...........55

Are we about to see "London Prestwick Airport"? :D

BRL
5th Sep 2002, 00:18
The very best one so far is London LUTON Airport :rolleyes:

LTNman
5th Sep 2002, 06:10
In that case you might as well add Stansted, as they are further out from London than Luton

propjockey
5th Sep 2002, 07:34
London Prestwick - I think a few EGPK ppruners would have something to say about that!

;)

Final 3 Greens
5th Sep 2002, 07:36
LTN Man

Tut Tut, we are legit! The government has always stated that Stansted is "London's third airport!"

On which basis, as my local airfield is 10 miles further south down the M11, we must be London North Weald!

:D

distaff_beancounter
5th Sep 2002, 10:19
Well I did once have to tell a Customs man in Troyes (France), that I was departing for London ELSTREE Airport, as he did not want to let us go, 'cos he had never heard of that quaint little airfield! :D

And, Elstree IS much nearer Charing Cross, than a lot of the aforementioned "London" Airports. ;)

big.al
5th Sep 2002, 12:36
Are we soon to see 'London Finningley' or will they brand it as a satellite airport to Manchester? I think they should call it Yorkshire International....

newswatcher
6th Sep 2002, 08:37
London International Airport - Ontario.

distaff_beancounter
6th Sep 2002, 11:54
newswatcher

Nice One! :D