PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating oil 10W30 C-013 (J 2362 or MIL-L-46152[OLD])

RotorRick
2nd Mar 2024, 22:24
Hey All,
On my Bell 206A I have an older/optional main rotor head with the pillow block reservoirs. It specs 10W30 C-013 in the consumables list. Both Specs J2362 and the older Mil-L-46152 come up easily in a search, but I am wondering what lubricant oil you guys would use. I'd like to have some on hand as they are prone to some seepage sometimes.

Thanks!

Rick

albatross
3rd Mar 2024, 15:50
Hey All,
On my Bell 206A I have an older/optional main rotor head with the pillow block reservoirs. It specs 10W30 C-013 in the consumables list. Both Specs J2362 and the older Mil-L-46152 come up easily in a search, but I am wondering what lubricant oil you guys would use. I'd like to have some on hand as they are prone to some seepage sometimes.

Thanks!

Rick

As I recall the change to grease was not an expensive or time consuming mod….and a lot cleaner. Have you looked into that option. The 205 oil heads were always a big problem.

wrench1
3rd Mar 2024, 16:42
but I am wondering what lubricant oil you guys would use.
I believe we had used a type of air compressor oil that met Mil-L-46152 requirements, but I haven't seen an oiled hub in the wild since the early 80s, so don't have any current brands to offer. Regardless, I have to agree that converting it to a grease hub at the next OH would be in your best interests based on my experience.

ericferret
4th Mar 2024, 11:08
Hey All,

Thanks!

Rick

The specs seem to refer to a standard automotive piston engine oil.
That might sound unusual but manufacturers used to specify commercial rather than aviation oils for some applications.
An example being the Hughes 300. The gearbox oil was a commercial EP90 and the engine driveshaft grease was Shell Alvania
which was used to grease the turntables on articulated trucks.
I would say that any oil that meets the spec purchased locally will do. I would agree with the above that converting to grease would be a benefit.