PDA

View Full Version : dogs in the cabin ...

brockenspectre
4th Sep 2002, 06:18
Watching TV the other evening I saw a program about folks working at LAX - along the lines of the UK program Airport - and one of the items was check-in. The dog that is in Frazier was being checked in, travelling first class, and had his/her own seat ... I just wondered how rules can be bent for "celeb" dogs but not for regular ones. Any ideas?

If Karma who stands 17" at shoulder (a smaller than medium dog but don't tell him) Karma's page (http://members.aol.com/karma21094) and I were to fly anywhere I would love for him to be curled up happily on a rug on a seat with a lil harness for landing and take-off!!

:D

dolly737
4th Sep 2002, 10:14
brockenspectre,

there are, indeed, regulations (e.g. FOM or G/B OM), which “should” have prevented the scenario you described. The number and size of “live animals in cabin” are limited by aspect of the passengers safety and comfort, and cabin-size. But, most manuals use the word “should”, and, following in smallprint “...these limitations may be varied on commander’s discretion...”, for obvious reasons...

I would guess that what you saw WAS legal, although I personally wouldn’t stick my neck out a tenth of an inch for a dog, no matter how small; which might not be easy at times (celebs etc.). But “Commander’s discretion” also means taking full responsibility for any consequences.

[For example: If you notice a dog in your vicinity, telling the flight attendant that you suffer from severe dog(hair)-allergy and are in no way hesitant to sue the company...- that will definitely do the trick]

BlueEagle
4th Sep 2002, 10:38
KLM, for one, did allow small dogs in the cabin, subject to a load of conditions. Brokenspectre you raised this point once before I think? It has nothing to do with 'celebs'!!!

If, after having been accepted for travel by the airline, a F/A, (such as dolly737 perhaps?:( ), then tell me that a pax had complained, allergy etc. because my dog was in the cabin and wanted to offload my dog I would 'go to town'! It used to be one of the conditions of carriage that for a dog to be in the cabin at all there had to be sufficient empty seats etc. to allow for other pax, or the pax with the dog, to be reseated to avoid any problems.

And, quite apart from that, travel on todays modern aircraft, with recirculated cabin air, you are likely to be exposed to all kind of bugs/mites and exacerbate all kinds of existing allergies, so who are you going to sue, more specifically, how are you going to prove it? To blame it on someones pet dog, particularly if you don't happen to like dogs, is quite pathetic.

Jennie Blond
4th Sep 2002, 11:27
Now, i didn't see the porgramme myself. But, are we speaking of the 2 or 4 legged variety here?

dolly737
4th Sep 2002, 12:35
Blue Eagle,

you’re right – it is quite pathetic, but it happened a couple of years ago: The situation: Biz-class cat (4 legs) in leakproof container of correct size, plenty of empty seats, so ALL of the prescribed conditions(!) were met. Small biz-class (3 rows) – one of the other biz-pax brought the allergy-issue to the attention of the F/A – he notified the commander, who ignored this and departed anyway. Guess what – allergic reaction – pax had to be reseated to last row (eco, of course) – a LOT of legal conversation and paperwork. The commander was cautioned for NOT “varying the limitations”, this time the other way round (!!!). By the way, nobody ever cared about whether this “allergy” was real or caused by that specific cat… - THAT's reality!

Just the fact that someone was accepted for travel by the airline and made it onto the plane does not relieve the crew from its responsibility to ascertain a safe flight. Moreover, if anything unusual is brought to the attention of the commander, he/she is legally expected to use his/her quite far-reaching authority to make a decision always in favour of safety – even beyond company-standards.

BlueEagle
4th Sep 2002, 14:10
Well, I think the pax with the cat should have been reseated to the back row of EY, that being one of the conditions of carriage? -each airline will have it's own rules but the printed version I saw made it clear that one might expect to be reseated to accommodate other pax. I would get upset if they started to talk about offloading, not reseating. As a pet owner, (of pets far too large for the cabin anyway), I accept that I am lucky to have my cat with me and must expect to move if required or put the cat in the hold.

I know some allergies are extremely serious but if they are that bad then they are probably notifiable too, (therefore cat/dog refused in cabin), and the necessary remedies will be carried by the individual, antihistamines etc. Such allergies may possibly be a safety issue but otherwise it is difficult to see a safety aspect.
It was not a decision I was ever required to make and I would ask am I supposed to consider the allergic pax or the pax with animal, (extra revenue), when I make my decision?

All that said, from a personal view point only, provided they are properly looked after at departure and arrival, I think pets should travel in the hold, in secure containers.:)

dolly737
4th Sep 2002, 15:33
BlueEagle,

what you’re saying is all correct, only I’ve never heard of someone addressing his allergy in advance (although it should be that way), leaving the flight-crew to deal with the problem.
Even if company-rules want the pax with the pet reseated, I would consider doing it the other way round, depending on whether the allergic reaction has already developed and on how severe it is. It might take some time for the allergenes to clear even after the pet has been removed.

Quite frequently I get to talk to lawyers and from these conversations I get the impression that if you’re not sure how to decide, imagine explaining yourself in front of a judge with VERY little expertise… – sad but true :( .

Finally, I could not agree more with your standpoint that pets should travel in the hold; takes care of almost all possibly related problems.

;)

newswatcher
5th Sep 2002, 12:35
I have travelled Cairo to Dubai on Gulf Air, where the rear of the first class cabin was occupied by a plank about 5 feet long, on which were two "live" birds of prey.

At Dubai airport airside, large Merc appears,"plank" and birds removed and placed in back of car, all before any pax allowed off!

Does this still happen Jennie B?

BlueEagle
5th Sep 2002, 12:38
It certainly used to happen in Gulf Air in the seventies. A directive came out that only western newspapers were to be used to cover the floor/seats as it had been noticed that Arabic papers had been used and one unfortunate bird dropped its lot on the picture of the face of a well known Middle Eastern politician! 100% true, I promise!:)