PDA

View Full Version : ATCO Trainee

jm9
17th Feb 2024, 18:34
Hi all, after a bit of advice/ answers for those that are able. Currently working in an operational flying environment, I really enjoy the flying but unfortunately work in a role where there is almost no progression.
I’ve thought about ATC for a while now, and recently saw a couple adverts for trainee positions (not NATS). What are Highlands and Islands like to work for? Employment benefits sound very good, but I read a few years back about some crazy thing on Stornoway where the airport had to shut due to no controllers and the airport manager demanded SAR go and look for a controller who was fishing in a remote spot?! Is this true?!

I’m more keen for a position at a smaller airport where they send you away to train but you know where you’re going to be working, one thing that puts me off NATS is the whole ‘we’ll put you where we need you’.

Is the non NATS route a good one to go down? Any pros or cons?

Thanks All

mike current
19th Feb 2024, 16:35
Historically the ab initio route has always been a Nats thing.
Smaller ANSPs don't normally offer ab initio positions. They'll maybe send you on a course if you already work for them (for example as an assistant).

If you're interested in an ab initio route outside of Nats, HIAL is probably your best bet.

Stornoway is not for everyone. Very remote and very quiet airport. But a job is a job.

chevvron
19th Feb 2024, 19:25
Stornoway is an HIAL airport.

mike current
19th Feb 2024, 20:17
Stornoway is an HIAL airport.

I never said it wasn't

elspread
20th Feb 2024, 18:14
Hi all, after a bit of advice/ answers for those that are able. Currently working in an operational flying environment, I really enjoy the flying but unfortunately work in a role where there is almost no progression.
I’ve thought about ATC for a while now, and recently saw a couple adverts for trainee positions (not NATS). What are Highlands and Islands like to work for? Employment benefits sound very good, but I read a few years back about some crazy thing on Stornoway where the airport had to shut due to no controllers and the airport manager demanded SAR go and look for a controller who was fishing in a remote spot?! Is this true?!

I’m more keen for a position at a smaller airport where they send you away to train but you know where you’re going to be working, one thing that puts me off NATS is the whole ‘we’ll put you where we need you’.

Is the non NATS route a good one to go down? Any pros or cons?

Thanks All

HIAL ab initios get paid significantly more than their NATS counterparts whilst training and accommodation and travel during college is covered too. After validation the salary compares quite well considering the airport size once allowances are taken into consideration (12.5% shift pay, met and additional payments for weekends - Stornoway guys prob well north of 70k now) Defined benefit pension with almost 30 % employers contribution and plenty holidays.
Stornoway isn't a metropolis but there's plenty on Lewis for folk to do if they like an outdoor lifestyle. Best bet is to give them a phone and see what they say I'm sure they'll be more than happy to answer any questions