PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions for Commercial pilots...

EGGD
3rd Sep 2002, 23:38
Hi guys,

I couldn't decide where this is for the questions or Wannabees forums, but as these are questions I thought they'd be appropriate here. Now, after a long discussion with my careers adviser, we decided that the best way to find if a career is what I want to do or not is by either doing work experience (which I know, as fun as it'd be, is not possible with pilots), or asking questions. I would be grateful if some pilots could answer these simple questions:

1)Did you do well at school? I mean, there are quite alot of subcategories that you could fall into. But basically were your O-levels (or GCSE's, and then A-levels..) generally: All A*'s, all A's, all B's, all C's, or didn't go to school...

2)Are you confident as a person, I mean, self confidence with talking to people, (girls), in what you do?

3)Did you, or do you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of work you needed to do whilst at school, training to be a pilot, or working as a pilot?

4)Did you ever feel you couldn't cope with a crisis in the cockpit?

5)When did you first want to be a pilot, and what were your motives?

6)Did you find that, knowledge helped you through your pilot training course, more than your personality, or was it more a case of being in the right mental state of mind (ie. you could do everything in the training course even if you were dumb as a post, but had the confidence/personality to do that sort of thing).

7)Do you, or did you ever get apprehensive about doing anything to do with your job? Were you worried about your first flight, or your first solo, or your aptitude test?

8)Do you ever get overwhelmed by the hours you have to work or the amount of paperwork you have to do?

9)Do you like rollercoasters, and other exciting activities (such as bungee jumping or skydiving).

10)Do you ever regret being a pilot, or ever change your mind half way through training without having an option to go back?

I think.. that I have asked everything that I need to ask. Its a little late and my brains be working all day so I HOPE these questions make sense and I hope that you will have enough time and will be able to answer these questions.

Thankyou!

Daniel :)

mattpilot
4th Sep 2002, 01:53
i'd like to add to question #1:

Did/does it matter where and what kind of flight school you went to?

Rabbit
4th Sep 2002, 17:32
Hi EGGD, I started flying with the Air Force in 1965, Quite a while ago and I am now nearing the other end of my career that I suspect you are. I have never regretted a single moment of my profession. However, I must also mention that you young ones just starting will be involved in a very different atmosphere than I have. I have seen tremendous changes and I would think the changes over the next 35 years will be even more significant. Now in answer to your questions:

1 Average but very good in math's and science
2 I'm a scorpio, does that answer the question
3 Never, just work harder and prioritise(good word remember it)
4 No, things that require immediate attention are pretty straight forward and the simulator will get you organised in that area, its the less serious and administrative dificulties that usually cause you the most headaches. eg. Had an engine failure of #4 on take-off last February, when it was all done and we were back on the ground my young F/O remarked - "Just like in the simulator wasn't it?"
5 At about the age of 14 while I was very involved in model aircraft. However, I did attend uni in a desire to go down another track but after less than a year found myself in the Air Force on pilots course. My nephew is following in my footsteps.
6 No - it took a lot of hard work. there are not to many second chances in that air force training.
7 I believe everyone is somewhat anxious on those occasions, all you need to remember on those occasions is something a pilot friend of mine told me before I started - he said "lots of others have done these test's and passed before you so it can't be too bad so just concentrate, get the job done and all will be ok at the end" and it was.
8 Never
9 YES and I love aerobatics.
10 As I mentioned - not for a moment. Just in passing I will mention something here that I have told all my students along the way and there has been many. THIS CAREER IN NOT A JOB, IT IS A LIFESTYLE, IF EVER YOU BEGIN TO REGARD IT AS A JOB THEN IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO GET OUT OF IT. I enjoy my work and always look forward to going to my next flight.

And mattpilot, in answer to your question; not in the long run. It may affect who might employ you when you are getting started, but as you experience grows, this will gradually disappear and your employability will depend entirely on you experience and of course adequate education background.

Have a nice day

EGGD
5th Sep 2002, 15:56
ah Thanks for the replies so far!

One more question, do you think EVERYBODY that gets the grades needed could become a pilot and be good at it?

'be good at it'. When I say that to myself it sounds so lame... :)

Rabbit
6th Sep 2002, 10:16
Yes and No.

Funny answer but I have been involved instructing/training/checking from 1970 till 2000 in all aspects of flying training (Military & Civil) and there are some that can't and shouldn't be a pilot for a variety of reasons. However, having said that, some of these candidates with deep pockets persist in the civil enviroment, get through the system and eventually get employed. And will they "be good at it"? well usually no, in fact they usually run the fine line between just passing or failing sim and flight checks.

So having the needed grades as you put it do not always translate into being "good at it", but it helps as it is a basic requirement of airline employment along with the required experience.

Have a nice day

EGGD
6th Sep 2002, 21:39
ah Rabbit, i'm glad you have some experience; What would you say are the difference between people who would probably fail, and who would most probably pass? What personality traits etc?

Thanks!

Dan