PDA

View Full Version : Senate vote against Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Committee inquiry

missy
9th Feb 2024, 10:45
Tuesday, 6 February 2024
Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee
That the following matters be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 8 October 2024:
(a) The impact, regulation and mitigation of aircraft noise on residents and business in our communities, including the impacts of aircraft noise on amenity, physical and mental wellbeing and everyday life of affected communities; and
(b) Australia's airspace management, operation and regulation to ensure the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the aviation industry, with particular reference to:
(i) the adequacy and effectiveness of Australia's airspace management operation and regulation in meeting the needs of the aviators and communities,
(ii) skills shortages, job vacancies and access to skills training in the aviation sector,
(iii) aircraft noise management practices and their effectiveness in mitigating impacts on communities,
(iv) factors contributing to on-time performance issues across Australian airspace,
(v) the safety and reliability of airspace management across rural and regional Australia, and
(vi) any other related matters".

The Senate divided.

AYES 29
Antic, A. - SA, Liberal
Askew, W. - TAS, Liberal
Babet, R. – VIC, United Australia Party
Brockman, W. E. – WA, Liberal
Bragg, A. J. – NSW, Liberal
Canavan, M. J. – QLD, Nationals
Cash, M. C. – WA, Liberal
Chandler, C. – TAS, Liberal
Colbeck, R. M. – TAS, Liberal
Davey, P. M. – NSW, Nationals
Fawcett, D. J. – SA, Liberals
Hanson, P. L. – QLD, Pauline Hanson’s One Nation
Henderson, S. M. - VIC, Liberal
Hughes, H. A. – NSW, Liberal
Hume, J. – VIC, Liberal
Kovacic, M. – NSW, Liberal
Liddle, K. J. – SA, Liberal
McGrath, J. – QLD, Liberal National Party of Queensland
McKenzie, B. – VIC, Nationals
McLachlan, A. L. – SA, Liberal
Nampijinpa Price, J. S. – NT, Country Liberal Party
Rennick, G. - QLD, Liberal National Party of Queensland
Reynolds, L. K. - WA, Liberal
Roberts, M. I. - QLD, Pauline Hanson’s One Nation
Ruston, A. – SA, Liberal
Scarr, P. M. – QLD, Liberal
Sharma, D. N. – NSW, Liberal
Smith, D. A. – WA, Liberal
Sullivan, M, A. – WA, Liberal

NOES 35
Allman-Payne, P. J. – QLD, Greens
Ayres, T. – NSW, ALP
Brown, C. L. – TAS, ALP
Chisholm, A. – QLD, ALP
Ciccone, R. – VIC, ALP
Cox, D. – WA, Greens
Farrell, D. E. – SA, ALP
Faruqi, M. – NSW, Greens
Ghosh, V. – WA, ALP
Green, N. L. – QLD, ALP
Grogan, K. – SA, ALP
Hanson-Young, S. C. – SA, Greens
Lines, S. – WA, ALP
McAllister, J. R. – NSW, ALP
McCarthy, M. – NT, ALP
McKim, N. J. – TAS, Greens
O'Neill, D. M. – NSW, ALP
Payman, F. – WA, ALP
Pocock, B. – SA, Greens
Pocock, D. W. – ACT, Independent
Polley, H.- TAS, ALP
Pratt, L. C. – WA, ALP
Rice, J. E. – VIC. Greens
Sheldon, A. V. – NSW, ALP
Shoebridge, D. – NSW, Greens
Smith, M. F. – SA, ALP
Steele-John, J. A. – WA, Greens
Sterle, G. – WA, ALP
Stewart, J. N. A. – VIC, ALP
Thorpe, L. A. – VIC, Independent
Tyrrell, T. M. – TAS, Jacqui Lambie Network
Urquhart, A. E. – TAS, ALP
Walsh, J. C. – VIC, ALP
Watt, M. P. – QLD, ALP
Whish-Wilson, P. S. – TAS, Greens

MickG0105
9th Feb 2024, 10:59
In short, defeated along party lines.

Lead Balloon
9th Feb 2024, 20:46
Weird thing is that the Greens do a lot of whinging about aircraft noise. Their bloc of votes could have changed the outcome. I suspect politics had something to do with this...

DROPS
10th Feb 2024, 08:35
Weird thing is that the Greens do a lot of whinging about aircraft noise. Their bloc of votes could have changed the outcome. I suspect politics had something to do with this...

Looked like an omnibus add on to the original motion, which passed unamended, more to do with aircraft noise

Lead Balloon
10th Feb 2024, 08:56
I've no clue as to what your post means. Shrug emoji:

MickG0105
10th Feb 2024, 09:34
The original motion, put by Senator Rice, was
That the following matter be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 8 October 2024:

The impact and mitigation of aircraft noise on residents and business in capital cities and regional towns, with particular reference to:

(a) the effect of aircraft noise on amenity, physical and mental wellbeing and everyday life of residents;

(b) the effect of aircraft noise on small business;

(c) any proposals for the mitigation and limitation of aircraft noise, including flight curfews, changes to flight paths and alternatives to air travel;

(d) any barriers to the mitigation and limitation of aircraft noise; and

(e) any other related matters.

Mademoiselle Sports Rorts then sought to amend the original motion,

Omit all words after "That", substitute

"the following matters be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 8 October 2024:

(a) The impact, regulation and mitigation of aircraft noise on residents and business in our communities, including the impacts of aircraft noise on amenity, physical and mental wellbeing and everyday life of affected communities; and

(b) Australia's airspace management, operation and regulation to ensure the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the aviation industry, with particular reference to:

(i) the adequacy and effectiveness of Australia's airspace management operation and regulation in meeting the needs of the aviators and communities,

(ii) skills shortages, job vacancies and access to skills training in the aviation sector,

(iii) aircraft noise management practices and their effectiveness in mitigating impacts on communities,

(iv) factors contributing to on-time performance issues across Australian airspace,

(v) the safety and reliability of airspace management across rural and regional Australia, and

(vi) any other related matters".

McKenzie's proposed amendment, which would have had the effect of tacking a review of Airservices Australia onto the original noise review, was defeated. Rice's original motion on aircraft noise was agreed to. No prizes for guessing why Labor don't want the Committee getting stuck into AsA.

missy
10th Feb 2024, 11:39
Indeed, what will be the "Quid pro quo"?

MickG0105
10th Feb 2024, 12:03
Indeed, what will be the "Quid pro quo"?
You seem to be entirely missing the point here (is that what "missy" relates to?).

The Greens put the original motion forward. As you can see from your post that started this thread, Senator Rice is an Australian Greens senator. Rice's motion dealt specifically with one of their pet topics - aircraft noise. McKenzie then attempted to have a review of AsA added via an amendment. That amendment - the topic of your thread-starting post - was defeated. The Greens' original motion for the sub-committee to review aircraft noise was agreed to unamended.

Lead Balloon
10th Feb 2024, 19:34
Thanks Mick. Now I understand. I should have read the entire Hansard.

Had the Coalition been in government and Labor tried the same tactic, the outcome would have been the same.

Mr Approach
11th Feb 2024, 00:22
I think the movers behind this are the Brisbane Flight Path Community Alliance (BPFCA)

See website here <https://bfpca.org.au/take-action/#oversight>

missy
11th Feb 2024, 09:50
You seem to be entirely missing the point here (is that what "missy" relates to?).

The Greens put the original motion forward. As you can see from your post that started this thread, Senator Rice is an Australian Greens senator. Rice's motion dealt specifically with one of their pet topics - aircraft noise. McKenzie then attempted to have a review of AsA added via an amendment. That amendment - the topic of your thread-starting post - was defeated. The Greens' original motion for the sub-committee to review aircraft noise was agreed to unamended.
Noted. Perhaps the learned Senators were thinking a Royal Commission would be more appropriate.

ER_BN
11th Feb 2024, 20:35
Missy,

Some of us have watched “democracy” operate in Senate Estimates for many years…

Some of us didn’t come down in the last shower…

I’d be impressed if there was any evidence our Senators actually thought……

A Royal Commission out of Senate Estimates today leads me to think you been indulging psychedelics again?

I will hold further comment until after noting the corrupt nuances today…

What a coincidence that the final episode of Nemesis is on tonight!!

C441
11th Feb 2024, 21:19
Noted. Perhaps the learned Senators were thinking a Royal Commission would be more appropriate.
A Greens spokesperson implied that part e of the bill "any other related matters" was enough to investigate the failings within ASA.

I would argue that a far reaching enquiry into ASA and CASA is far more warranted on the basis that a serious failure due to ASA mismanagement will have far greater consequences than noise and, to a degree, may improve noise outcomes as well.

ER_BN
11th Feb 2024, 22:30
A Greens spokesperson implied that part e of the bill "any other related matters" was enough to investigate the failings within ASA.

I would argue that a far reaching enquiry into ASA and CASA is far more warranted on the basis that a serious failure due to ASA mismanagement will have far greater consequences than noise and, to a degree, may improve noise outcomes as well.

Amen to that!

Be interesting to see the sincerity of each committee member and party this afternoon…

sunnySA
11th Feb 2024, 23:30
Amen to that!

Be interesting to see the sincerity of each committee member and party this afternoon…
The Senators are more likely to be interested in “what’s for lunch”.

10JQKA
11th Feb 2024, 23:35
Am more inclined to think we may see the full clay pigeon shooting repertoire on display ?

ER_BN
11th Feb 2024, 23:59
Am more inclined to think we may see the full clay pigeon shooting repertoire on display ?

Her target identification improves each Estimates…interesting to see if such specific Infrastructure spending has influenced her skill acquisition…

I presume the “Make by day” Senator has declared the personal interest?

DROPS
12th Feb 2024, 00:33
My expectations are zero (as should be the expectation of the Greens/Noise Lobby).

As mentioned elsewhere, Estimates is little more than a multi-faceted protection racket, where everyone is implicated over time.

Chronic Snoozer
12th Feb 2024, 00:49
The Senators are more likely to be interested in “what’s for lunch”.

Or, “Do you have anything for a hangover?”

ER_BN
12th Feb 2024, 03:48
Be watching this comedy for a long time...ie AsA at Senate Estimates today...

As Con the Fruiterer would say as another PPUNEr recalls "Just Bewdiful"

Was expecting some random clay shoot...

Wasn't expecting a precision HIMARS assault from the wonderful Senator McKenzie...

Even Senator Sterle started to "smell" the wind change....finally...

AsA Board apparently to front Senate Estimates...only taken them twenty years....

Oh dear what a Herculean task to cleanse the Airservices stable, let alone CASA and ATSB...

Schadenfreude, Schadenfreude, Schadenfreude,...Bless me father for I have sinned, but God it felt so good!

What, a pantomime .........................

10JQKA
12th Feb 2024, 04:48
That is next year's academy award best short film winner.
Great entertainment. Jason's "shiiteshow" as Senator McKenzie calls it may have made him a dead man walking ?
And Government Senators & Chair let her go and never stopped the trainwreck inquisition which may be quite significant gong forward ? Many QONs were promised too.

NaFenn
12th Feb 2024, 07:54
This decision aged well.

Australian airports in chaos as travellers experience significant delays (https://7news.com.au/news/sydney-airport-in-chaos-as-travellers-experience-significant-delays-c-13563480?utm_campaign=7news&utm_content=7NEWS%20Perth&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebookper&fbclid=IwAR3dJ4ecVD8U0WkANhPHlVQMjV1s5ThgcoHJp_0l5GGL5VR09K2 RKC3Rsp0)

Widespread flight cancellations and delays at airports around Australia on Monday have been blamed on just two Sydney Airport workers calling in sick.

Many Qantas and Virgin Australia passengers experienced delays of over an hour, while others had their flights cancelled altogether.

Airservices Australia confirmed it had to reduce flights by about 50 per cent — from 50 take-offs and landings an hour to 26 — after two control tower staff called in sick to work.

Speaking at a senate committee meeting in Canberra, Airservices Australia CEO Jason Harfield said none of the 948 controllers across the country could fill in for the sick workers.

It was also revealed at the senate meeting that Airservices Australia staff are entitled to unlimited sick leave.

“It’s pretty incredible that two people don’t show up for work and the whole country is shut down,” Opposition transport spokeswoman Bridget McKenzie said.

“When Sydney experiences disruption, the whole country suffers and international travellers are also missing connections as a result of this,” McKenzie added.

Airservices Australia said safety is always the services’ first priority.

“We have temporarily reduced traffic throughput to manage flights safely within the capacity available,” it said.

“Airservices is enhancing its service resilience by recruiting and training more than 100 new air traffic controllers (ATCs) nationwide since 2020.

“More than 70 new ATCs are due in FY2024 and a further 80 ATCs are projected to join us each year moving forward to add further depth to our ATC rosters.”

ER_BN
12th Feb 2024, 09:13
Timing is everything in politics! Rejecting the amendments proposed now makes the Labor Party and Greens look foolish

What a gift for Bridget, one of the best ambushes on AsA in Senate Estimates ever seen...

Makes the live phone call from a controller to Nick X in Estimates seem passe...

As it's a French system....today? Quelle coincidence?

No matter, the AsA Board has already appointed Harfield for another term.

More years of bullsh$% on controllers numbers and as a consequence TIBA forever...

Australia is a joke!

Pinky the pilot
12th Feb 2024, 09:51
Oh dear what a Herculean task to cleanse the Airservices stable, let alone CASA and ATSB...

Could do it the same way Hercules did the Augean Stables....sort of....

Flush everything (one) out!!

ER_BN
12th Feb 2024, 11:08
Pinky,

If only it was as simple as pressing the number 2 button on a flush toilet.

Probably the most sincere authentic Senator of the Day got the award when she displayed her own lack of faith in ‘democratic’ process.

Check out the disgust of Senator Susan McDonald versus AMSA around 2245…when a senator says their own process is broken, it’s broken.

Sterle as usual a disgrace!

missy
20th Mar 2024, 06:01
From Senate Estimates

Question on notice no. 100
Portfolio question number: SQ24-000099
Additional estimates Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Committee, Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts Portfolio Senator Bridget

McKenzie: asked the Civil Aviation Safety Authority on12 February2024— Senator McKENZIE: On notice, I would like to know the number of issues you've formally addressed with Airservices Australia, what the actual issue was and what the outcome is. There are a lot of vagaries, but I want some practical examples.

The question is currently unanswered.