PDA

View Full Version : Flying Training: Different Strokes for Different Folks?

Whirlybird
3rd Sep 2002, 17:28
Do you teach all your students the same way? Or adapt your teaching to the student? Which should you do? And how difficult is it to teach in different ways?

I have a reason for asking. When training for my PPL(A), I had an instructor who so destroyed my confidence that it took me ages (and a good instructor) to begin to enjoy flying again, and a very long time to get my PPL. By the time I did my PPL(H) I was wary, but had a really nice guy who kept telling me how good I was. Looking back I ended up dangerously over-confident; I'm not blaming him, but perhaps someone else would have noticed the signs. Now recently I've been learning to fly a flexwing microlight. After a few hours with an instructor who talked non-stop, yelled at me, and demanded I talk through what I was doing, I realised I was getting worse not better. I know more these days, so I sat down and explained it all to the guy. When it became clear he couldn't or wouldn't change, I moved to a different school, and I'm getting on fine.

So, as wannabe helicopter instructor, I'm wondering... What do you all do?

John Farley
3rd Sep 2002, 22:06
Cor Whirly. That is one big question.

Personally I don’t see it as just a QFI/QHI issue. I see it as a general teaching issue. I feel it does not really matter what you are teaching. If there is a formal syllabus and some sort of standardised exam or test at the end, then there are two main issues, which must never be confused:

Number 1 is about the information that the teacher uses. Is it correct? Well explained? Does it fit the syllabus? Does the teacher have at least a little depth beyond the syllabus being taught? Is the subject matter really understood by the teacher? IE this is all about the quality of the teacher’s knowledge of the subject.

Number 2 is about whether the teacher is a good teacher. This has nothing to do with the facts of the subject being taught.
Teaching on a one to one basis (the way flying instruction tends to be carried out) I would say that a teacher would not be a good teacher unless they instinctively adjust their technique to suit the individual student. IE this is all about the way the teacher treats the student and how the teacher adapts to the student. It has to be that way round.

In my book a bad teacher only knows one way of treating a student while a good teacher is very flexible.

Where flying is concerned the general teaching plot is thickened by the critical nature of such things as dual safety, solo safety and ensuring that the student has the correct level of confidence. With flying (or any other sort of hand eye coordination skill like water skiing or gymnastics or taking a penalty kick etc etc) the student HAS to believe they can do it. The teacher has a huge task (sometimes) to make sure such belief exists. Not too much, not too little, but just the right amount.

Only gifted teachers can handle this sort of thing subconsciously. The rest of us have to work at it. I certainly had to work at it when I was checking out Harrier pilots in the 60’s with no two seater and no simulator. That was not a situation where one brief fits all to put it mildly.

So far as you are concerned, if you feel you have enough of Number 1 to teach choppers I am absolutely sure you will have all the Number 2 it takes just because of your own experiences. The fact that you have even asked the question here when you jolly well know the answer is another big pointer, plus you are a lady so you are naturally into people and not just things. Unlike blokes like me.

B2N2
4th Sep 2002, 03:48
Ah the million dollar question.
Been a instructor for 2 years and got 50 students to their PPL.
Still have to adept to every new student.Everybody seems to require a slightly different approach.
I use all of the same material(lame jokes),just have to present it in slightly different ways with different attitudes.
Some people seem to need a quiet confident instr.(still working on that role)others benefit from a screamer(good at that).
As an instructor it's up to you to figure out what type of personality you have next to you and how to deal with them.
Obviously there about a 1000 variants.
Cheers

CaptAirProx
4th Sep 2002, 08:33
I agree with all the above. Its one big mind game. I always sit down with a student that I have just inherited. I get them a coffee, and let them chat away about what they have done and there thoughts and experiences. I can learn a lot about their character and aptitude. I then get them topre-flight the aircraft while I go and read their records, and learn the instructors point of view. By then I have built a reasonable picture and we brief on what we're gonna do and let him do it. I tend to say very little in terms of teaching to begin with. I let them show what they know. That allows me to confirm what I believed about them when we chatted.

I believe a good instructor is confident that he knows enough about a subject that he can attack it from varying angles.
The problem is when you start, you only have the way the FIE taught you, its upto you to go out and learn from your students! Flying for everyone is a learning curve. And sometimes I get the wrong end of the stick with students............I will always be honest to them and say I cocked that one up, but lets try it another way. Never blame the student.

When I get frustrated with a students progress, I have to mentally stop and think, "could I have just done what he/she did?" The answer is always yes.........so I then remember to be patient with the poor fellow.

Some students have to be brought down a peg or two!
Some need straight talking.
Some need empathy and gentle persuasion.
Some need to be pushed.
Some need a actual telling off if they are young and flying like a rip****.
Some need to be laid traps so that they find them themselves as they will not listen to the instructor either way.
Some need to be treated with humour.
Some sincerity.
Some with very large kid gloves.
Some even need to be frightened.

That reminds me of a 16 year old who I was finding very cocky. To the point he would tell me how I should run the lesson and that he was bored and stalling was a waste of time! (Mum and Dad were paying!). I soon showed him a quick way to get home as requested by entering a spin. He screamed, kicked and severely lost his street cred. He soon listened to my briefings and words after that!
Thats what I think is so fun about instructing. The lessons are always the same. But the way we go about them is always different.

FormationFlyer
4th Sep 2002, 09:29
I agree with the above - different students do require different approaches. Flexibility is the very key to being an instructor. If your student doesnt respond well to one method or explaination I feel it is the instructors *duty* to adapt and to find something that *does* work for the student.

Usually, non-stop talking & yelling dont work....but everyone is different - as yet I havent found a student I have got annoyed with even.....I have a golden rule...never never argue or shout in the cockpit - take it to the ground & deal with it there...basic airmanship degrades as the conversation does!!

whirlyflyer
4th Sep 2002, 15:12
I think by you simply asking the question you're already two steps ahead of the game.

I was taught that there are two points to flight instruction:

1. The CFI must teach the required knowledge and safety information to ensure the pilot is a safe one.

2. The CFI must be able to adapt to each student, to figure out how to teach the material in such a way so they can learn it better. If one way isn't working, try another. If I still have trouble, that is the time to go to the chief pilot for help.

Don't ever be afraid to talk to other CFIs about teaching techniques, ask questions, etc. The CFI is just another license to learn! :)

Charlie Foxtrot India
4th Sep 2002, 15:45
Learning is defined as a desired change of behaviour. And if that is being achieved, and both instructor and student are clear on what desired behaviour and standard they are aiming for, then however you achieve these aims is up to your own style, matched with the students personality, and as the years go by you learn more and more new techniques that work for different people. For a student to prgress they need reassurance that you are on their side.
In the early stages as an instructor, think of the instructor in your past who you learned the most from and ask yourself what made them so good, then you have a role model. Then think of the worst one, and ensure that you learn from their mistakes. A yelling instructor is often one who is blaming their own incompetence on the student, and should go and find another job.
Sometimes there are students who are difficult to like and/or incredibly frustrating, but that is something you learn to take in your stride. Occasionally there will be a student who you just can't get along with-do everyone a favour and find them another instructor sooner rather than later, don't see it as a failure.

Here's a few traits I've seen from new instructors (including me many moons ago) which improve with experience:
1 Over instructing...talking too much because you are worried about missing something out!
2 Running late, often because you get into an interesting conversation before the flight, or find yourself at the far end of the training area when the aircraft has it's next booking ten minutes ago....
3 Talking too much and bewildering the poor stude with information they don't need yet. My favourite instructor hardly said anything, but when he did I knew it was important and really listened. Or maybe he was asleep.

Here's some tips I wish someone had given me when I started instructing:
1 The only words you should ever say on the runway are "I have control" if they have blown it, wait until you are established on upwind before talking about the last touch and go, and keep the controls until you have finished talking. Two sentences should be enough.
2 Never forget what you went through when you were at their stage of training.
3 Avoid eating garlic and never smoke in working hours! ( the one time I went gliding my instructor had garlic breath and it put me off for life)
4 Learn the art of "Here's your headset, I'll be out in ten minutes":D and enjoying your coffee without then going out to find a cobwebby skeleton waiting for you! My pet hate as a student was being able to see my instructor through the window have a game of pool (or once, a double scotch at the bar) while you have been out there for half an hour, then the lesson is cut short 'cos you are "running late" :mad:

Sorry to rattle on so much. I've never been able to cure myself of talking too much!

Good luck Whirly! :) Given the enthusiasm and passion for flying you have shown in your posts, I think you will be a great instructor. Given what I have put my helicopter instructor through in terms of totally inappropriate cylclic inputs you will need quick reactions!!

Whirlybird
4th Sep 2002, 16:12
Thank you everyone! Wow; so much information, and such good stuff. Please keep it coming. Isn't PPRuNe wonderful.

John,
Yes, in one sense I knew the answer. But I remember on one thread a while back, when I was criticising low hours instructors, someone said I should wait until I was an instructor, and I'd find out what it was really like. Well, they maybe had a point. So I wanted to ask those that know, from the other side. I mean, from my recent microlight experience, I couldn't understand why when I said: "Look, I know it's not obvious, but if you yell at me I freeze and can't fly; and I just can't seem to manage to land and talk about it at the same time at this stage", it should be difficult for the instructor to believe, take in, and change his technique. But it might have been, so I wanted to ask. After all, I've not yet had someone who with the best of intentions spends an hour trying to kill me!

Charlie Foxtrot India,
Thanks for the positive comments, and you don't talk too much; it's all useful info. The only place where talking too much can be a problem, in my experience, is in the air. And I suspect that's something I'll have to watch out for too. I just hope I remember all the mistakes that were made teaching me; it can be easy to forget.

Anyway, please keep the replies coming!