PDA

View Full Version : JFK 22L/R offset approaches question

RMC
16th Jan 2024, 16:42
ILS 22L approach straight inbound 224 ; RNAV X significant offset 234 inbound.

Anyone know why 22L is sometimes using RNAV X others using straight in ILS (presumably not noise abatement).

My best guess would be spacing from 22R traffic and this is my reason for asking. I see many pilots wanting to get on the centreline for 22 L very early (as soon as they are visual). If this compromises the distance from 22 L traffic then clearly we shouldn’t be doing it.

Anyone able to answer this would know
ILS 22R Offset approach 221 degrees inbound (r/w heading 224) ; 22R RNAV approach straight in with 224 inbound.

Thanks in advance.

awair
17th Jan 2024, 04:52
Deconfliction with LGA.

At night the ATIS would give the straight-in ILS. Not sure if it's time based or daylight, but would then switch to the offset approach (used to be the VOR?)

RW 22R is for take-off, 22L for landing.

It's been a while, apologies for any inaccuracy.

Jojobray
17th Jan 2024, 07:50
It may be a historic thing. The straight in approaches take you into LGA airspace, so they were normally flown as offset NPA to limit that impact. Only in adverse weather would you get the ILS.

RMC
18th Jan 2024, 21:36
Thanks. So if the 22L RNAV Offset approach is to avoid LGA airspace an ultra early visual interception of the centreline would not be advisable?

LOWI
19th Jan 2024, 13:42
I've jumpseated before in a company 787 on the straight in ILS and they got a TCAS RA from a Southwest 737.