PDA

View Full Version : Callsign Only

LOWI
16th Jan 2024, 03:22
Good day chaps,

I haven't flown into some busy UK airports for a while (Gatwick, Stansted, Manchester, etc).

Is the tower frequency still callsign only? If approach/director doesn't hand you off with "contact tower, callsign only", I guess that means we check in on tower as normal?

rudestuff
16th Jan 2024, 04:22
I use callsign-only everywhere when cleared, established and handed to tower. Strangely no one has ever said 'get off my ILS!'.

ahramin
16th Jan 2024, 20:01
As stated, it depends on what your normal is.

I too have never had a problem changing to tower with "XXX Tower, Bigjet 123"

But if your normal is "XXX Tower, Coolpilot 456 checkin' in with you showin' four miles back on ILS 01" then I suppose you'll have to pay attention to "Callsign only" on the handoff or AOI.

Gonzo
17th Jan 2024, 08:23
Good day chaps,

I haven't flown into some busy UK airports for a while (Gatwick, Stansted, Manchester, etc).

Is the tower frequency still callsign only? If approach/director doesn't hand you off with "contact tower, callsign only", I guess that means we check in on tower as normal?

Obviously you should follow what the Approach controller instructs, but also bear in mind what the AIP entry states. For example, this is LHR:Transfer to Tower: Pilots are to report their callsign, distance from touchdown, type of approach and runway to which they are making their approach, on transfer to Heathrow Tower, (for example, ABC123, 7 miles, ILS, Runway 27L).