PDA

View Full Version : Sentry Plus ADS-B receiver working in cockpit B787

philipB737NG
15th Jan 2024, 10:27
Hi,

anyone can share information about the ability of the Sentry Plus ADS-B Receiver being able to receive signals in the B787 cockpit?
I had a Bad Elf GPS unit and could only receive signals by installing it near the cockpit overhead escape hatch.
on the glare shield or side windows there was no signal sufficient enough to make it work.
anyone had info on this?
B787 all cockpit windows are AC Electrical heated which tend to block ADS-B signals
Tnx in advance

Commander Taco
18th Jan 2024, 15:54
The 787 crews at my carrier (or at least it was before I retired) all Mount their Bad Elves at the overhead escape hatch.

Dschubba
24th May 2024, 07:22
This unit works well sitting on a silicon mat under the rear window on the 78. This model has dual band L1 and L5 reception which appears to make it quite sensitive. My old Garmin Glo was useless and couldn’t get a lock. Doesn’t do adsb of course.

B787register
24th May 2024, 08:00
this is probably down to the "faradays cage" which is generated by all of the electronics, cable runs and general build of aircraft. normally I would blame the metal fuselage but in this case its carbon fibre. Perhaps the copper mesh over the top of the barrel is casuing issues (the lightening protection)

Fursty Ferret
24th May 2024, 08:12
You guys know that the 787 has ADS-B fitted from the factory, right? Own-ship position from a third party provider sounds like a legislative nightmare if something goes wrong - eg wx avoidance based on a radar image shown on iPad for example.

oceancrosser
25th May 2024, 17:09
For what purpose would a pilot be carriying his own GPS (Bad Elf or whatever) on a 787 or any modern jet equipped with GPS. And what power source are they using?

321XLR
25th May 2024, 17:29
For what purpose would a pilot be carriying his own GPS (Bad Elf or whatever) on a 787 or any modern jet equipped with GPS. And what power source are they using?

not uncommon. some are geeks and like to do it.

so what?

oceancrosser
25th May 2024, 20:17
not uncommon. some are geeks and like to do it.

so what?

Well you did not exactly answer the question, did you?
I am prepared to be educated.

321XLR
26th May 2024, 03:45
Well you did not exactly answer the question, did you?
I am prepared to be educated.

Good, now go learn something and report back.

Capn Bloggs
26th May 2024, 12:13
For what purpose would a pilot be carriying his own GPS (Bad Elf or whatever) on a 787 or any modern jet equipped with GPS.
Follow your progress on an atlas maybe? "Hey Boggs, what island is that?". Come to think of it, got asked what lake is that once and I gave it to them on the spot. The pax was most impressed. :}​​​​​​​