PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Airlines buys Hawaiian

FENA57
3rd Dec 2023, 23:25
Ben Minicucci CEO and President of Alaskan Airlines informs me that they have bought Hawaiian Airlines and now the base is Seattle .
i was wondering who will they be laying off in Hawaiian and what the culture be like?

RHagrid
4th Dec 2023, 12:24
Absolutely Dreadful news. Have used HAL as my preference since the mid 1980s. Always had Great crews with an organized and appreciative management. Bet it won't take long for ASA to screw it all up.
Mahalo.

Lonewolf_50
4th Dec 2023, 14:38
Is Alaska that bad?
I'd be interested to hear what pilots at Alaska have to say about the move.

BFSGrad
4th Dec 2023, 15:07
Is Alaska that bad?
Usually ranked around the middle of the pack or slightly higher.

Alaska paid hundreds of $Ms to get out of its Airbus leases early so it could get back to a single type (not including Horizon) and it now acquires an airline with 4 new types?

tdracer
4th Dec 2023, 17:40
Usually ranked around the middle of the pack or slightly higher.
Fly them on a semi-regular basis - yea, I'd put them a little above average.
That being said, lots of people grumble that they totally ruined Virgin America - but never having flown VA I can't comment.

Alaska paid hundreds of $Ms to get out of its Airbus leases early so it could get back to a single type (not including Horizon) and it now acquires an airline with 4 new types?
Agreed, that seems rather strange, although local reports suggest they intend to keep the actual aircraft operations separate - at least for the foreseeable future. Consolidations would be in the administrative and management areas.
Scuttlebutt is that someone was going to swallow Hawaiian - it was just a matter of who. Could have been worse...

West Coast
4th Dec 2023, 23:55
That being said, lots of people grumble that they totally ruined Virgin America - but never having flown VA I can't comment.

Agreed, that seems rather strange, although local reports suggest they intend to keep the actual aircraft operations separate - at least for the foreseeable future. Consolidations would be in the administrative and management areas.
Scuttlebutt is that someone was going to swallow Hawaiian - it was just a matter of who. Could have been worse...

Who would have the best chance of clearing the DoJ scrutiny, Alaska I would suggest.

FENA57
5th Dec 2023, 23:01

very well said it could have been worse! Any news about employee layoffs? I guess a bit too early at this stage.

Junkflyer
6th Dec 2023, 15:00
Not much overlap between the two airlines flight schedules. Both have strong brand recognition.
It needs to get approved by the Feds and likely while take quite awhile to iron everything out.
The pilot integration list will be interesting. Single fleet vs narrow and widebody.

Hartington
6th Dec 2023, 15:17
Elsewhere it has been claimed that OneWorld (American + Alaskan + Hawaiian) will have 51% of the market if this goes ahead.