PDA

View Full Version : What's YOUR excuse?

Viggen
2nd Sep 2002, 21:49
I am guessing that many people in this forum bunk off work in order to go flying (who me?) . . . bearing in mind that your boss MAY be reading this forum and you may incriminate yourself - what's your best excuse . . . and who's been caught? ? ? !

:rolleyes:

AerBabe
2nd Sep 2002, 21:57
I don't tell mine... he probably assumes I'm 'in the library' ;) Mind you, I bunk off less to go flying than he does to watch the cricket :)

charlie-india-mike
2nd Sep 2002, 21:58
Viggen

I hold my hand up:D :D

Nearly got caught the other week when I took a call on my mobile whilst on the airfield without checking to see who was calling.

You guessed it ....... It was she who must be obeyed.

Lots of aircraft noise and she asked if I was on an airfield.

Blagged my way out of it by telling her it was a glider tug returning to its base after having released its tow above my house (I spend a fair amount of time working from home)

Cut the call very short.

I think I got away with it. I will only know when the time comed to reappraise my earnings.

:D :D :D :D

Keef
2nd Sep 2002, 22:38
Not that any PPRuNers would be so dishonest as to abuse the trust of their employers, of course.

Chilli Monster
2nd Sep 2002, 22:49
Who needs an excuse? :D

Man pops into my 'office' offfering a right hand seat in the ILS pattern for half an hour. Con someone else into giving you a break, grab headset, go flying.

I love my job :)

CM

tacpot
2nd Sep 2002, 23:38
My employer is always prevailing on me to work outside my contracted hours, so I can take time off when the weather is nice with no problems. A bit of give and take suits us both.

Circuit Basher
3rd Sep 2002, 07:14
I am the boss (well, of my site, anyway)!! :D :D ;)

I am frequently in work for 0600 or work until 0100 for what is notionally a '9-5' kind of job. Working hours are typically 60 hrs /wk on a notional 37 hr wk with no extra money.....
SO..... I don't feel guilty at all!! :D

Ace Rimmer
3rd Sep 2002, 07:19
Ah but Keef your employer has an advantage does he not? Hmmm makes me think is it time I went down to EGKA for "an in depth briefing on the airports plans"...

It's making up excuses for Mrs R that's the problem...

knobbygb
3rd Sep 2002, 08:04
Don't forget the old 'two hour lunch'. The airfield was only 20 mins from work so 2hrs would be enough time, although a bit rushed.

First get permission to be out from 12 'till 2. Then ask if you can go at 11:50 since you were in a bit early (boss was in an early meeting so he doesn't know you arrived at 09:55!). Then leave at 11:40, because, well, it's near enough.:D

Same story on the way back. Get back at 14:30. Get all in the office to tell the boss you were back at 14:15, because of the traffic and you'll work a few minutes late. Mention you didn't have time to actually eat and go out for a sandwich at 15:00. Take 40 mins and get everyone to tell boss it was 10.

When he's gone home at 16:30, leave at 16:35.

Perfect! 4 hour day for 8 hours money and the lesson's paid for;) All you have to do to get everyone to lie for you is promise them joyrides, which they'll obviously get a lot quicker if they help you get your license quicker.

Funny thing is, I don't do this any more as I'm between jobs. Wonder why?:confused:

Who has control?
3rd Sep 2002, 08:57
I'm just too honest! I always book a half day if I really want to go. Mind you , a half day does start at 11:30 and as we normally finish at 4:00 I can go flying after work.

Flying Chicken
3rd Sep 2002, 09:00
I just say to the boss "the weather's good - I'm going flying!" He shrugs his shoulders and says "OK". He knows there's no point trying to stop me and so long as the work gets done, it's no skin off his nose!

Penguina
3rd Sep 2002, 12:27
Had a terrible attack of food poisoning in a light aircraft once! But the side effect seems to be general guilt and self-loathing, so I haven't had another one since. The fact that I WAS slightly hung over didn't make me feel much better........

juswonnafly
4th Sep 2002, 05:45
I get into the office, push some paper around the desk and drink cups of tea or coffee. Then what happens? some bright spark pops in and demands that I 'assist them in their own persuit of happiness'!

So we go flying, get back an hour or so later, then SOMEONE ELSE starts it all over again !

On some days this pattern seems to repeat it self 4 or 5 times !

What should I do ? Perhaps it's the job ? :D :D :D

JWF :)