PDA

View Full Version : Pension at 60

MechGov
13th Nov 2023, 21:22
Hopefully a quick question about pensions. Does an ex service person who served for 9 years in the 1980’s qualify for a pension on reaching 60?
Thanks.

Speedywheels
13th Nov 2023, 21:53
https://support.veteransgateway.org.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/381/~/armed-forces-pension-schemes

Quick answer is yes.To receive the pension you need to make a claim:

To claim a preserved pension visit the Veterans UK website and fill in AFPS Form 8 (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/service-personnel-and-veterans-agency-spva-pensions-forms)
Send the form 3 months before your pension is due.
If you have passed the due date, you can still claim using the same form.

HTH

NutLoose
13th Nov 2023, 22:52
And they will back date it if past your qualifying date, so you do not lose out, you should also get a lump sum too.

West Coast
14th Nov 2023, 00:44
What is the minimum number of years must a member of the UK military serve to receive a pension? Not including medical issues, etc.

NutLoose
14th Nov 2023, 02:36
Two years, I believe after the age of 18 ( Reckonable service) if in doubt apply or contact them. Officers may be different

https://raf.mod.uk/serving-families/raf-serving-families-news/claiming-your-armed-forces-pension/

Edit: better details for both

https://support.veteransgateway.org.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/906/~/armed-forces-pensions%3A-details-of-schemes

CISTRS
14th Nov 2023, 03:24
Nutty...
Is this in the correct thread?

NutLoose
14th Nov 2023, 03:37
Finger probs.

:O

Compass Call
14th Nov 2023, 08:04
I left in 1975 after a 5 year engagement as an airman.
Am I likely to be eligable for a pension?

CC

longer ron
14th Nov 2023, 08:11
I left in 1975 after a 5 year engagement as an airman.
Am I likely to be eligable for a pension?

CC

Hi CC
Might depend on your actual date of leaving as 1975 was the important year vis a vis preserved pensions !
If you do satisfy the qualification date you may be able to get a pension and lump sum.

Edit - the date would appear to be April,so if you left after april you may be elegible.

ForcesPensionSociety
14th Nov 2023, 08:28
From 1 April 1975 until 31 March 1978 you would have needed at least 5 years reckonable service and to be at least age 26 on discharge.

Chugalug2
14th Nov 2023, 10:04
As a GD/P JO I PVR'd in 1973 after a total of 13.5 yrs service. I was told at the time that there would be no Service Pension and that has been the case since. I assume that subsequent reform in 1975, etc, has not affected that? I obviously had to make alternative plans to compensate so no harm done. Just interested in confirmation that my diagnosis is correct.

charliegolf
14th Nov 2023, 12:50
Direct entry Airman Aircrew (me) in the late 70s entered on an eight year* gratuity-attracting, non-pension engagement. All as per the contract. In my 50s I was told on at least 3 occasions that I WAS entitled, received forecasts etc, only to be told , "Oops, we made a mistake..." I was a bit cheesed, but I didn't lose anything I was entitled to, so like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter!

CG

* I believe 9 years was the minimum, so anyone signing on moved over to '75 after a year. I don't know of anyone other than me who walked at 8 years...

charliegolf
14th Nov 2023, 12:50
As a GD/P JO I PVR'd in 1973 after a total of 13.5 yrs service. I was told at the time that there would be no Service Pension and that has been the case since. I assume that subsequent reform in 1975, etc, has not affected that? I obviously had to make alternative plans to compensate so no harm done. Just interested in confirmation that my diagnosis is correct.

You REALLY should have a go...

CG

MechGov
14th Nov 2023, 16:46
https://support.veteransgateway.org.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/381/~/armed-forces-pension-schemes

Quick answer is yes.To receive the pension you need to make a claim:

To claim a preserved pension visit the Veterans UK website and fill in AFPS Form 8 (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/service-personnel-and-veterans-agency-spva-pensions-forms)
Send the form 3 months before your pension is due.
If you have passed the due date, you can still claim using the same form.

HTH
Thank you

Lima Juliet
14th Nov 2023, 17:50

Sadly, for an officer you left 2.5 years too early, as you needed 16 years post age 21. However, you should have qualified for a lump sum at the time of retirement as you had done 9 years. For Other Ranks it was 22 years and 12 years respectively. The big change for AFPS75 in 1975 was the preserved pension later on for those that didn’t do 16 or 22 years or more depending on their rank.

Chugalug2
14th Nov 2023, 18:27
Sadly, for an officer you left 2.5 years too early, as you needed 16 years post age 21. However, you should have qualified for a lump sum at the time of retirement as you had done 9 years. For Other Ranks it was 22 years and 12 years respectively. The big change for AFPS75 in 1975 was the preserved pension later on for those that didn’t do 16 or 22 years or more depending on their rank.
Thanks LJ, and duly anticipated. I did indeed receive a gratuity which was quickly consumed at Kidlington to pay for the IR. No regrets though, as I was then able to grab one of only two vacancies as an FO on the Dan-Air 1-11 fleet at LTN. You have to be lucky!

downsizer
14th Nov 2023, 18:34
What is the minimum number of years must a member of the UK military serve to receive a pension? Not including medical issues, etc.

For a pension to be paid on discharge, Up until very recently it was a minimum of 22 years for non-commisioned personnel. I beleive today it is a minimum of 20 year and be at least age 40.

I left after 29 years and recieved my pension and lump sum immediately.

k3k3
14th Nov 2023, 18:47
When I left the RAF in 1983 after nine years service I had no knowledge of preserved pensions, I thought if you left before 22 you got nothing. It was only decades later that I heard something from people currently serving that I started asking questions.

If I hadn't met those people I would never have known, I wonder how many other people are in the same boat?

My brother-in-law (12 years army) didn't know either.

cliver029
15th Nov 2023, 08:11
i finished in March 74 and was caught in the the gap between the act being passed in parliament, 1973 and implemented in April 1975, I know that there was a lot fuss at the time about the arbitrary date of implementation but most people focused on those retired before and the fact anecdotally the mod’s attitude was to weather the storm because those left behind would be dead soon.

ForcesPensionSociety
15th Nov 2023, 08:17
For a pension to be paid on discharge, Up until very recently it was a minimum of 22 years for non-commisioned personnel. I beleive today it is a minimum of 20 year and be at least age 40.

I left after 29 years and recieved my pension and lump sum immediately.

The 20/40 point is for the Early Departure Scheme linked to AFPS 15. It sits outside the pension scheme which pays the pension immediately to those who serve until age 60 - if they do not, it is preserved until their state pension age.

For AFPS 05 it is the 18/40 point for Early Departure benefits. Members need to serve to age 55 to receive their pension on departure. The preserved pension age for this scheme is 65.

Sevarg
15th Nov 2023, 08:23
Some of us are still alive and kicking and the poorer for it.

NutLoose
15th Nov 2023, 14:26
When I left the RAF in 1983 after nine years service I had no knowledge of preserved pensions, I thought if you left before 22 you got nothing. It was only decades later that I heard something from people currently serving that I started asking questions.

If I hadn't met those people I would never have known, I wonder how many other people are in the same boat?

My brother-in-law (12 years army) didn't know either.

I often wondered if this was a deliberate ploy, after all, if they can trace you for your state pension, I cannot see why they can't for your service pension as well.

I too have met people that simply did not know, one was well past his due date, like 10 years plus! he was staggered when he got a pile of money paid into his account and a monthly income that he never thought he was due. Pleased was an understatement.

Ninthace
16th Nov 2023, 09:42
The Teachers' Pension people tracked my wife down so why can't the military pension folk. The lump sum in back pension paid for a trip to NZ and left some change.

lefty loose
16th Nov 2023, 14:53
I often wondered if this was a deliberate ploy, after all, if they can trace you for your state pension, I cannot see why they can't for your service pension as well.

I too have met people that simply did not know, one was well past his due date, like 10 years plus! he was staggered when he got a pile of money paid into his account and a monthly income that he never thought he was due. Pleased was an understatement.

same for me

Akrotiri bad boy
16th Nov 2023, 16:13
There's all sorts of GDPR nonsense involved in chasing people and firing letters off to addresses where you think someone lives. Granted a lot of folk don't realise they're entitled to a pension, the majority would be short term service who left in their '20's. That gives them almost 40 years to forget their entitlement and lose their discharge paperwork. It really is down to the individual to take charge of their own affairs; should they do so then the money is there.

Paul Chocks
16th Nov 2023, 16:20
I have a friend who served (80s/90’s) who’s convinced she’s not got a preserved pension as she took a gratuity. Was there a gratuity in lieu of preserved pension?

ForcesPensionSociety
16th Nov 2023, 17:08
Yes. In fact, right up until the early 2000s it was possible to serve on 'gratuity-earning terms', which meant that no pension was earned but a gratuity was paid if the engagement was completed satisfactorily.

downsizer
16th Nov 2023, 19:23
Can you change the payment date of your pension does anyone know?

NutLoose
16th Nov 2023, 21:23
In what way? Day of the month or delay it?

downsizer
17th Nov 2023, 06:24
The date it is paid in the month, so say move the 19th to the 30th?

Fatjoff
17th Nov 2023, 08:38
I had my payment moved to the end of the month wef July just gone. So yes, it can be done.

ForcesPensionSociety
17th Nov 2023, 09:34
Can you change the payment date of your pension does anyone know?
I am afraid you can't - it is set when the pension is awarded.

Gulf Flyer
17th Nov 2023, 10:01
I wrote to Equiniti to adjust my pension payments to the first working day of each month - simples!

downsizer
17th Nov 2023, 10:55
I am afraid you can't - it is set when the pension is awarded.

I wrote to Equiniti to adjust my pension payments to the first working day of each month - simples!

So which is it?

ForcesPensionSociety
18th Nov 2023, 09:28
So which is it?
Hmmm. When I asked them they said no. I am pleased that they seem to have taken a more flexible view. My question to them was a theoretical one so, as they have actually done it for Gulf Flyer, the answer must be yes. Sorry for the bum steer.

Lima Juliet
19th Nov 2023, 07:59
I wonder if this is because GF is overseas and effectively their bank are sitting on the payment (interest, thanks very much!)? Equiniti Paymaster pays Armed Forces pensions for veterans living overseas on the date they are due. Payments are then routed to overseas bank accounts via Citibank. So they, or a bank down the line may be changing the payment date whilst holding the money owed? Or, maybe it’s the delay of transfer that has effectively moved the dates?

My pension gets paid on 10th of the month. Not sure I would want to delay it by 20 days to give Equiniti another 20 days of interest. Better off in my account earning interest than theirs!