PDA

View Full Version : Any words of wisdom?

Backontrack
2nd Sep 2002, 17:12
I blew my PPL skill test by being over nervous! I had a complete brain shut down and couldn't navigate to my first check point!

No excuses, but I was flying an aircraft I was not as familiar with as the one I had trained in, same type, just a different instrument layout and it threw me off! A simple thing I know but none the less I still blew it. I have plans to go commercial, but all it has made me feel is incompetent! Is there any point when I can't pass the PPL skill test, god help me on the I/R.

I feel crap and cannot get my confidence back up, does anyone have any uplifting anecdotes for me??

I've re-booked in for the test later in the week but cannot lift my spirits to face the challenge.

Help.................................................

Delta Wun-Wun
2nd Sep 2002, 17:28
If you don`t feel ready then don`t do the test this week.Why not have another hour or so up with your Instructor and get your confidence back.
Wait until the aircraft you are used to is back on line.
Everybody fails something some time......What you do after the failure is what makes the difference.

Chin up and get on with it.

DWW

African Drunk
2nd Sep 2002, 17:36
I would not worry too much I was an instructor and saw some competent guys fail. I also think many of us have failed at least one exam, I failed my multi. One friend failed his PPL/CPL/IR first time and he is now RH seat BA. Don't let it get you down or you will probably worry yourself into failing again.

About the commercial go and have a chat with your CFI/senior instructor and get an honest opinion from him about your flying ability. Decide from that as it is very difficult to judge your own ability particually when you low experience.

Best of luck with re-test.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
2nd Sep 2002, 17:50
Sorry to hear about your hicup on the PPL skill test.

You may have done this already, but if possible, once you know the date of your test and what aircraft you are flying, why not go out to the aircraft a couple of hours before and make yourself familar with the aircrafts NAV fit. Make sure you know where the radios are, Transponder etc? May help you.

Gook luck with the retest and remember as Delta Wun Wun says, we have all failed something sometime, I remember failing an electronics test at college, dam Electro Magnetic Induction!!
:D

The Boy Lard
2nd Sep 2002, 19:21
Hi Backontrack...

I too failed my PPL skills test, and I failed it on bl@@dy circuits! I couldnt believe it, after all the circuit bashing i'd done!

Anyway what I do now, every time I fly, is talk out loud, a kind of narration for what I'm doing, be it HASELL checks or "airspeed alive" to talking through my heights on approach.

What this does for me (and the instructor sitting next to you in your case) is reassure them that you actually know what is going on. That way if you are too high/low on approach you can say "I'm too high/low, applying/reducing power/lowering/raising nose etc..."

You would be amazed the difference it made to my confidence, it reassured me that actually I COULD fly, I DID know what to do and it has stood me in good stead for the CPL that I'm doing.

Dont be disheartened, it will probably make you a better pilot, lets hope that you are soon Backontrack!!!!!!!

Cheers

TBL:D

tacpot
2nd Sep 2002, 23:09
Not exactly the same thing, but; I failed my driving test twice before passing on the third attempt. On the first attempt I failed on three counts, on the second attempt I failed on six counts! I thought I was getting worse, not better! But managed to scrape a pass on the third go. So stick with it. (I still maintain that people who pass their driving test first time fluked it!)

You know where you went wrong - too nervous, plus you let a minor matter get to you. There have been comments in the past on the forums about not letting an early mistake get to you. The examiner is looking for competence not brilliance.

I'd agree with DeltaWunWun's comments; make sure you are happy to fly again before going for the test.

Best wishes for the next test. Please persevere; the elation on passing will be so much better with one failure behind you.

Field In Sight
3rd Sep 2002, 09:06
I failed my PPL very early on in the test i.e. reading the compass incorrectly and using this setting on the DG.

I accurately followed this inaccurate setting and it all pretty much went down the toilet from then on. VFR nav was a weak point of mine anyway.

However, even though I had been told that I had failed at this point, I still continued on with the airwork/diversion sections. This made the retest the next day a lot shorter and simpler.

I was inconsolable the night I had failed and could hardly manage to drink even one pint of lager.

As tacpot said it was all forgotten with the elation of passing the following day. Surprisingly I managed to drink more lager that night :D

prob30
3rd Sep 2002, 12:16
Two things I learnt during my ATPL ground school....

1. Train hard...Fight easy
2. The thing about aviation is that when it is all going to $*it, you cant step out of the office.

If you want it, keep at it...it is all about state of mind. Step back and look at exactly what you have to do. You will be surprised that it isnt that tough...it is all about mental preperation.

good luck.

ps. Have a read of the ryanir, Ezy looking posts. You will see that you can be the sharpest pilot going..if you are a muppet they wont give you a job. Be a damn good bloke/blok-ess and work hard and you will get a job.

Backontrack
3rd Sep 2002, 21:41
Thanks to all of you for your replies.....

It is needless to say that a problem shared is a problem halved. I have flown 3 more hours since my fail on sunday and I am dragging the confidence back. I am flying again in the morning and I am going to make a judgement call whether to re-take my test on Friday.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

p.savage
3rd Sep 2002, 22:10
"If at first you don't succeed brush yourself off and try again."

Words of Aaliyah

SOPS
4th Sep 2002, 17:08
:) If it helps, at the end of my PPL test (Australian) many years ago, the examiner turned to me and asked "Are you REALLY hoping to be a commercial pilot?" When I answered in the affirmative, he told me that in his "opinion" I would never make it. This almost made me stop , right there.

Last time I checked (about 45 minutes ago), I am a 737-800 captain with a international flag carrrier, and have been for a few years now. Dont ever, ever give up, if iys your dream..pursue it

:)

FRIDAY
5th Sep 2002, 03:19
Hey Backontrack, long time no talk. I see your going to coventry I will be there on the february course, let us know how you getting on if you can spare the time, dont't worry if you cant.
Don't even second guess your abilities just grab the test by the scruff of the neck and kick ass.
In fact failing something at this early stage may be a good thing,
In future cases for training you will be more so determined to pass as you know the feeling of failing is one you never want again. When I was in school I done average on my final exams, I decided to resit them the following year, did not learn my lesson went to college nearly failed the course, ONLY THEN did I wake up and I finished the college course with a distinction and just last week I finished off a course in avionics with a final test score of 100% which the examiner informed me he has yet to see a better final paper, I can tell you that failure in my school day's really helped me now when I look at it because it was certainly the defining factor in what followed I reckon. I just to damn scared of failure.
;)

Backontrack
6th Sep 2002, 15:16
Friday

I am still recovering from screwing up the test. I flew today and bounced it off the runway, it was grass and bumpy but it still bounced. I feel it's getting worse not better!!

My skill test was cancelled today due to weather so it's moved into next week at the moment, yet to be confirmed.

I will let you know how I am getting on in Coventry after November, if I manage to get past this hurdle!

timzsta
7th Sep 2002, 19:14
Don't be disheartened. Maybe do another flight with your instructor to rebuild your confidence and then retake your test. Almost everyone has a day or an experience which leads you into thinking that you just cant do it during your PPL.

Mine was making a right hash of an approach and landing on my first solo cross country - almost didnt get back in the plane to take it back to base. Took a deep breath and flew back and talked it all through with my instructor. Next day did my qualifying cross country - all 3 landings were still about the best I have done to date.

So the chances are if you retook your test the tomorrow you would breeze it. So chin up, take a deep breath, you would not have been put up for your test if you were not ready, and go show what you can do.

englishal
7th Sep 2002, 23:00
The way I see it, is that as you're doing the skills test then you can fly! The best way to view the test is to just view it as another flight. Try not to be nervous, YOU CAN FLY, you just need to prove it to the examiner. I failed the PLF first time, but it didn't really matter, I took that part again and passed....OK I was disappointed, but its not the end of the world. Next day I passed. I knew I could, the nerves just got to me.

Since then I have gone on and got my ME and IR, both tests I was very nervous at the start, but I took the attitude that if I don't pass, its not the end of the world, and then I relaxed and enjoyed the flight....(incidentally I passed both first time).

Relax is the key, do what you do, and don't sweat it.

Good luck!
EA:)

28thJuly2001
7th Sep 2002, 23:25
"I failed the PLF first time",

.......but did you pass the PFL? :D
Walt,,

AerBabe
8th Sep 2002, 00:42
Do you have another date for the test yet? If possible, why don't you get together with your examiner for a cup of tea and a chat. Getting to know him a little might just take some of the pressure off. I was lucky enough to do my test with someone I knew pretty well, and it made the GFT really really good fun.

Good luck!

BTW... not going to Coventry can be a good thing ;) When you do get here, let me know and I'll drag some PPRuNers down to The Mill for a 'few' pints :)

zacc
8th Sep 2002, 02:00
I sympathize with your experiences, as I have had a few of my own. Sometimes, getting right back into the thick of it could have negative results. What I found worked for me, was taking a little time away from aviation, say a 1/2 a week to a week, & doing non aviation related activities. When I returned to the reality at hand, I was refreshed & reinvigarated, & subsequently performed well!

Hang in there, you will achieve!!;)

slim_slag
8th Sep 2002, 02:08
I blew my PPL skill test by being over nervous! I had a complete brain shut down and couldn't navigate to my first check point!

Looks like you have identified the problem yourself, and it has nothing to do with your flying ability, so next time just do what you already know you are capable of, and you will pass.

englishal
8th Sep 2002, 06:03
.......but did you pass the PFL?
Oh yea, that bit was a piece of cake :D

;)

sennadog
8th Sep 2002, 10:57
Backontrack .

Time to come clean here. For the first time in my life I failed an exam, two to be accurate and these were the piddly Ground School exams for the PPL. I couldn't believe it and it was all down to examitis or extreme nerves and I think it's because I wanted the right results too much and I think this is probably what happened to you.

It's extremely frustrating and p*sses you off no end but I retook the exams and passed and even then I think that my marks were below what I was capable of and it got to the stage that 5 minutes prior to the exam you could have asked me any of the questions and I would have answered correctly but get into the exam and I cocked them up.

So, I think that you should do the following:

Take a mock Skills Test with your instructor before your real Skills Test and this will tell you if there are any areas to brush up on and as there probably will be (as with any PPL) don't worry too much but focus on improving those areas.

On your Skills Test, constantly take deep breaths both mentally and physically and take a good long think about what you are doing even during your start up procedures as this will help you to relax more.

At the end of the day, if you are taking your Skills Test you are good enough to pass otherwise you wouldn't be taking it and once you get past the nerves you'll do it.

Trust me!:D

28thJuly2001
8th Sep 2002, 13:49
Talk yourself through each section of the test, will show the examiner you know what you are on about and will help you remember the checks.
Of course I failed the circuit part of the test so feel free to ignore everything I just said.
Walt,,

LPL
8th Sep 2002, 21:52
When I did a GFT many moons ago, the examiner told me at the start of the test , to treat this flight as 'just another lesson ' and to this day all of the renewals I do, IMC etc I always remember those words.

Just remember, your instructor also asks you to demonstrate manoevoures that have been taught to you just the same as an examiner.

You WILL pass next time.

LPL

GRP
9th Sep 2002, 07:57
Failed mine first time too.

Nerves probably, but my first leg involved a Class D transit which was refused. What I did next was the start of a slow, painful and inevitable airspace bust which was halted about 1/2 mile before I entered by the examiner. Crushing experience to hear 'I have control' in the middle of your test!

A very good debrief with the examiner, not even mentioning the subject of flying but more the subject of 'captaincy' and I redid the nav section a few days later and passed.

And 200 hours later.... my landing on return home last night was bounced. It does happen from time to time!! On that score I find I can go weeks without a bad landing, then I start thinking I've got the hang of it and along comes the next bounce.