PDA

View Full Version : Why ?

Doudou
2nd Sep 2002, 16:18
Hello to all ATC controller. I'm a wanabee pilot, and wanted to first thanks you for your work.
I hope I won't hurt anybody with this question, but I was wondering what lead to the choice of being ATC controller. For pilots, you have many reasons as "the pleasure to fly", "the prestige", "the parents"... and a bunch of evident reasons, (not all of them are good).
When you go at school, you can start to like maths, history, geography, electronic engineering... but I don't see at what time and when the people can tell themself : "I wannabee a ATC watcher"
Thanks

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Sep 2002, 17:03
Hmm.. good question. Why does anyone want to be a brain surgeon? I think job applicants fall into two categories: 1) Those who want to do the job simply for the money; they have the qualifications and come across a profession which sounds like it may be vaguely interesting. 2) People who, for varied reasons, are fanatically interested in a particular job and would never be happy doing anything else.

I fall into the second category. I was a mad keen aircraft spotter from age about 5... wasted my school years watching planes!! I was also very interested in radio communications (I'm a licenced radio amateur) from an early age and played around with war surplus radio gear. The combination of radio and aircraft interest led to the acquisition of radio gear which could receive aeronautical HF and VHF transmissions. Watching the a/c fly over and listening to London Approach (ah.. the golden days; none of this "Heathrow" crap!) convinced me from an early age that I'd like to be a controller.

Eventually, by devious means, I became an ATCO.. worked overseas for a period and then returned to the UK where I became an emplyee of the Min of Av, or whatever it was called, and was posted to Heathrow. That was 30+ years ago and I still derive huge pleasure from doing my job and I still derive pleasure from watching aircraft and listening on the a/c bands when I have a spare moment at home.

I wouldn't be a pilot for all the tea in China..

Sad really, isn't it...... NURSE, the screens quickly.......!

Loki
2nd Sep 2002, 17:08
Because:

I thought it was a job which was worthwhile, I thought stopping aircraft hitting each other was an endeavour with a high moral content.

Also, NATCS as it was then was part of the civil service and was untainted by the crassness of many commercial undertakings.

Warped Factor
2nd Sep 2002, 17:14
Frustrated pilot :p

Failed the medical to fly in the RAF so doing this instead.

WF.

Asda
2nd Sep 2002, 18:24
I fall into Heathrow Director's first group. I had no previous experience or interest in aviation, but by a most curious series of events; an advertisement in the Evening Standard and a late night party somewhere in I think it was Bromley, was involved, and almost found myself falling into a profession I find incredibly rewarding. Why rewarding? Apart from the moral satisfaction mentioned above, of doing something that has to be done, well, it's problem solving. All day I am faced with problems, some simple, some very complex, that need solutions and I find it satisfying to provide answers and solutions. (we needn't go into the quality of those solutions right now thank you.)

Whipping Boy's SATCO
2nd Sep 2002, 18:48
After 17 years I still haven't figured it out and, when I do, I'll probably stop!!

However, I still enjoy controlling (what little opportunity I get). I would suggest that many people would use your example of

"the pleasure to fly (control)", "the prestige", "the parents"...

:D :D

chiglet
2nd Sep 2002, 21:18
'63-68 I was a "Scopie" [Air Defence Operator]
Joined Min of Whatever in '69 as an ATCA3:D
Am now an ATSA2 :rolleyes:
Two years, seven weeks,three days, one hour 43 mins 50 secs.
To Retirement :D :D as I type this
Seriously. [I Must be mad/stoopid/daft, but....
Oh Yeah, I'd do it ALL again :D :D :D
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

BEXIL160
2nd Sep 2002, 23:17
Fanatically interested in flying, but due to location ended up in RN flashing lights and decoding signals for Jimmy ( no, there is nothing for you Joss, Sorry)..... drunk lots of beer (L4)

Six years later left and joined CAA, worked V hard, and never regretted a day. Happy..... Drunk more beer

Would like to see WORST Jimmy, EVER, running NATS. Would be 100% better.

BEX

Doudou
2nd Sep 2002, 23:41
Thanks a lot for all your replies.
I'm glad to know a little more about you guys, cause I noticed that we work everyday one each other, but don't have a lot of contact/know a lot each other (especially pilots know much less about ATC than the other way). I regret not have been able to visit an ATC, and as foreign student in the US, it doesn't sound good if I ask now, might be suspicous! :eek:
So, one day, somewhere esle in the world, I will go visit one, to understand better the way you work, and see the guys I'm speaking everyday with
Thanks agin for your work, and keep posting replies in this topic, it's very interesting