PDA

View Full Version : Hamburg hostage situation.

Del Prado
4th Nov 2023, 23:06
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67324726

arrivals and departures suspended after man drives car through gate with child aboard.

”Police said the man's wife had previously contacted them about a possible child abduction, local media reported.”

DroneDog
5th Nov 2023, 12:33
I hope for a successful outcome; it sounds like a domestic situation. I am more concerned about how a man in a car managed to drive onto an airport runway. Where are the anti-terrorism precautions and security measures? If it can be done with just a car, and it is a major international airport, it does not exactly inspire confidence.

Less Hair
5th Nov 2023, 12:42
The man has surrendered to the police. It might take a moment to return back to normal operations.

FUMR
5th Nov 2023, 14:03
I hope for a successful outcome; it sounds like a domestic situation. I am more concerned about how a man in a car managed to drive onto an airport runway. Where are the anti-terrorism precautions and security measures? If it can be done with just a car, and it is a major international airport, it does not exactly inspire confidence.

I'm afraid that 100% security is almost impossible. Most airports have fences which can be driven through with a sturdy vehicle. Many airports have double fences, which in reality makes no difference at all. I only have to look at the so-called security around my local airport. It's pure window dressing which will never stop a determined person or persons. Fortunately there are not too many about and so it's adequate enough for the odd drunk or nutter. It would certainly not deter a serious attempt by a determined party. I have no solution except to say that we just have to accept the percentages and that occasionally (and it is occasional) restricted airport areas will be breached.