PDA

View Full Version : Owner maintenance

Jbcain89
4th Nov 2023, 01:59
Hello, so currently looking at an OM category plane. This would be to compete my PPL and CPL. Under the rules you need to be a pilot to own one. I am a commercial helicopter pilot. I do not see this listed so I am wondering if it qualifies.
Thanks

+TSRA
12th Nov 2023, 07:46
The only thing I could find that had any sort of definitive statement was a publication (https://www.cessna150152.com/ubbthreads/attachments/12871-copaowner-maintenanceguide.doc) put out by COPA back in 2002. Have a look at pages 8 and 10, because it very much reads that you would not qualify.

1) Page 8, under Important Note on Licenses: "...must be an aircrew license or permit holder with privileges on that aircraft type." As a student for a PPL-A, you would not have those privileges until you complete the flight test.
2) Page 10, under Licensed Pilots only - "A student cannot sign a maintenance release even if they are the owner of the aircraft." Even though you hold a CPL-H, you'd still be a student for a PPL-A, so no go.

Really, it boils down to the old saying "call Transport." The document is too old to be taken at face value, the regs are too onerous to read through, and you have a specific situation that may change the answer. However, even if TC says yes, I'd make sure that the insurance company you go with knows that you'll be using the airplane for flight training. You'd hate to prang the thing to then find out they don't cover you because you failed to declare it was for training. You might also want to make sure your instructor is comfortable teaching on it too. I could imagine there are a few FTOs out there who might not be willing to release their instructors in anything other than a normal category aircraft.