PDA

View Full Version : NATS ATCO Training family life

Ashers99
31st Oct 2023, 06:24
Anybody gone through the NATS trainee controller scheme with children? I've just been offered a place on a course in March but have a 3 year old daughter. My husband is a pilot so pretty busy as well. We can afford to get an au pair or possibly a nanny to lessen the load but has anyone successfully completed the course whilst also looking after children out of college hours?!

TCAS FAN
31st Oct 2023, 09:01
Anybody gone through the NATS trainee controller scheme with children? I've just been offered a place on a course in March but have a 3 year old daughter. My husband is a pilot so pretty busy as well. We can afford to get an au pair or possibly a nanny to lessen the load but has anyone successfully completed the course whilst also looking after children out of college hours?!

I would not be too concerned about the training issue. What will happen apres training, where are you likely to be posted and whether that unit operates H24?

While NATS may be obliged to consider the child care issue when duty rostering, would suggest that you are probably going to be faced with a live-in au pair/nanny.

Ashers99
31st Oct 2023, 10:20
I would not be too concerned about the training issue. What will happen apres training, where are you likely to be posted and whether that unit operates H24?

While NATS may be obliged to consider the child care issue when duty rostering, would suggest that you are probably going to be faced with a live-in au pair/nanny.

I'm not too worried about the bit after college - we already have a live in au pair at the moment so we are quite used to that setup and I already work shift work as an ATSA (although not 24hrs) so I'm used to strange hours. I guess my concern was more with the workload and whether I will be able to spend any time with my family during the intensive part of the course (I hear the basic course requires a lot of time outside classroom hours). I'm fully prepared to put the work in, I was just hoping to hear from others who have been in this situation!

Juggler25
31st Oct 2023, 16:16
I didn't personally but I know plently of people that have been succesful while going through the training process with kids. However, that does not mean it was easy for them. It certainly makes training harder as like you say, there is a lot of studying to be done outside of work. And this is the case for the entire training process, not just the basic course. The bookwork doesn't stop until you validate...

But it's certainly doable :)

Ashers99
31st Oct 2023, 16:29
I didn't personally but I know plently of people that have been succesful while going through the training process with kids. However, that does not mean it was easy for them. It certainly makes training harder as like you say, there is a lot of studying to be done outside of work. And this is the case for the entire training process, not just the basic course. The bookwork doesn't stop until you validate...

But it's certainly doable :)

Thank you, that's really helpful and great to know others have done it. I'm not as worried about the rest of training as I'll have a lot more support and my daughter will be in school by then. But I'm definitely not underestimating how much time and effort the entire training process will require - can't wait!

Buster the Bear
31st Oct 2023, 22:39
Where will your training be conducted, CTC, Global or elsewhere?

Courses are very intensive, so I suggest you plan not to get much family time initially. If you have a photographic memory, ignore everything I have said.

Sacrifices are certainly worth it.

terrain safe
31st Oct 2023, 23:35
I started training with a 5 month old, while we were living in a one bed flat, and my wife worked in the evenings after I came home from college until about 10 O'clock. It was tough. She had to give up work in the end as I wasn't getting enough time to revise. Validation training is harder than the college but it is worth it. I've managed to keep going for 35 years but I am definitely winding down now!

jamie1986
1st Nov 2023, 07:21
I did basic, tower and approach at Global about five years ago. At that time my kids were 3 and 6 and stayed at home with my wife while I was away at college. I got home every three weeks or so but it really was all on her for the bulk of that time. Certainly during basic training the workload is intense in the evenings and at weekends. For me that eased off a bit during the ratings, especially once we got further into the simulator work where it was more practical focussed, and there was time during 9-5 hours between sim runs to hit the books as required.

It certainly isn’t impossible but it is tough!

Flight Master
9th Nov 2023, 15:39
Tbh I’d say that spending time with your family during basic and what follows is vital to doing well. Yeah the course is full on in terms of the knowledge but if you spend too much time outside of work studying then you’ll burn out.

2-3 hours a day for the most part should see you in good stead then ramp it up slightly near the exams. If you’re able to then try and fit it in around college hours. 30mins before work (CTC breakfast is decent), 60 mins after, 15 mins of flash cards during breaks and it will quickly add up. Additionally if you can’t study every day then don’t worry about it as long as it doesn’t become a habit!

What I would suggest is making sure you speak to your manager and instructors about the situation if you feel it’s getting too much. They are all great people and ultimately want you to succeed but they aren’t mind readers.